VW Touran S 1.9 TDi PD

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
We have a Touran (54 plate) which we currently tow a 1989 Swift Corniche 14/4. She tows this very well but we are thinking of upgrading to a Bailey (not sure which one as yet). Can you tell me how large a carvan we can tow with this car please. We were told by VW its 1450kg with nose wight of 75kg but they took a week to get back to us with this information and they were still not sure if this was right. I'm afraid I'm that good with figures so your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
If you look at TWIN AXLE WITH ESTATE CAR under TOW CARS,

Paul has the same type of car as you but does not say what engine he has got. He tows a twin axel Swift Conqueror 640 with his, which must weigh beyween 1600-1700 kgs. See if you can contact him under the heading of general topics & post new topic FAO Paul, ask him the question & I am sure he will be glad to help.

G.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Linda, it depends very much on what model of Touran you've got.VW's kerbweights are very hard to understand, but I've got an '05 Touran 140 TDI DSG, which weighs 1725 Kg. on a weighbridge, and tow a 1500 Kg. 'van, which is it's maximum allowable tow weight. The petrol engines towing limits are 1200 for the 1.6S, 1300 for the 1.6SE FSI, and 1500 for the 2.0ltr.

My tow-ball limit is 75Kgs., which I think would be fairly constant throughout the range.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Linda, I'm afraid that the Swift Conqueror is no more, i have recently sold it, and i find myself undecided as to whether to buy another caravan just yet, reason for selling was the total lack of enthusiam from the rest of the family!, i on the other hand still have bags of enthusiam towards the pastime, anyway my Touran was the 105 bhp turbo diesel se spec, the swift had an unladen weight of 1345kg's and was certainly up to at least 1500kg when used,if not possibly more! the maximum legal towable weight for this car is 1500kg's. On a weight bridge with me in it, the car's total kerb weight was 1725kg's.

The performance i found quite adequate, and on the motor way especially down through France this year it would hold 60-65mph quite happily in 6th gear, and would only need 4th on the real steep inclines, average fuel consumption with caravan 3 teenage children and two adults was around 32mpg ish, stability excellent at all times.

Basically i found this car a general good allrounder, i also tow a 5.5m twin engined rib on a single axle trailer, and although the whole outfit only weights around 700kg's performance isn't far different to when towing the caravan.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Paul.

TRENDING THREADS