Water filler cap

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have the same problems with their water filler cap, since 2006 we are now on our 5th cap as they seem to seize up so they can't be locked any more, only solution is to buy a new one.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Sounds as if you have a corrosion problem, personally I tend to give a corroded lock a blast of WD40 before discarding it, usually by dribbling it down the key so the magic fluid enters the lock, leave for 10 minutes and then start to gently wriggle the key in the lock. but before you get to that state grease the lock with a silicone based grease (from new) forcing the grease into the lock with the key..

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
No its not corrosion, tried that with previous ones, key turns fine, but locking mechanism seems to be knackered, doesn't lock and therefore falls off. Tried everything !!

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've just been reading a similar thread on another forum and it appears that, sometimes, problems with locking caps are caused by technique of use.
The cap (with the key turned fully anti-clockwise) must be pushed in against its internal spring when inserted and then turned clockwise until it stops. Then the key can be turned clockwise to lock before being removed.
Removal is the reversal. Insert key and turn anti-clockwise then turn the cap anti-clockwise to remove.
Sometimes a jammed internal cap mechanism can be freed up by soaking in hot water. That worked on our previous van but not the current one where I had to buy a new cap.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The exact problem we have is: Put cap in turn it, doesn't click just keeps turning. We've tried pushing harder, pushing less, doing it slowly, doing it fast but nothing makes any difference it still won't catch and click therefore won't lock and comes off. The latest one (bought in Spain) is a slightly different design so we're hoping this might last a bit longer.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I've boiled ours, taken it apart, soaked it in WD40, pushed it in, turned it clockwise, turned it anti clockwise, etc etc but still it won't lock!
But it doesn't fall out & is still there.
So after 4 years of it, we just accept it.

In the end I decided why lock it? Who is deliberately going to tamper with our water on site?

B-J

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
We have had this problem a number of time and have always bought a new filler cap. However, this time we were advised to take the filler cap indoors and leave it somewhere warm and dry (we left it on the window ledge in full sunlight for a few days). It is now working perfectly (we will wait and see how long it works for before buying a new one)

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
We had the exact same problem, our dealer told us to just put the cap in boiling water and leave for a few minutes, has worked fine ever since!! Not sure what goes on here but a simple fix to an annoying problem

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Did have the same problem, dealer said leave in Boiling water for 5 Mins.(worked for a couple of days).
Autotrail said that they had problems, and suggested the new!! type with hinged cover over lock,(ok till it got cold).
I solved the problem by taking the large black washer from an old cap,and doubled up on the new cap. Slight more pressure needed to turn in clockwise direction, but in my case job done

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with a diesel filler cap recently... horrible when you're on your own at a filling station at night and you're faced with prising off the useless thing or staying the night right there! I've gone off all locking filler caps for diesel or water. A friend had fuel stolen from his, his wife's and his son's car in their drive one night. They live in an idyllic rural spot. The thieves didn't bother with the filler cap, they just made a hole in the fuel tank and captured the contents in a container!

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem as Kate on our new van, most embarrassing big queue of French divers building up at the filling station behind us and it happened again a few days later.
Took the cap apart couldn't find anything wrong with it re-assembled it, now works perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts