Water Filter

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have an abbey vogue 495. 2007van and wondered if anyone could tell me if it has a water filter in it, If so could you tell me where it is situated and how to replace.
Thank You

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have an abbey vogue 495. 2007van and wondered if anyone could tell me if it has a water filter in it, If so could you tell me where it is situated and how to replace.
Thank You
They are normally close by the cold water inlet to the sink tap. But it may have been removed by a previous owner. I took mine out of a 2005 caravan and a later 2013 one too. They aren’t particularly effective and if you keep the water system clean by occasional sterilising combined with the good quality of water supply on sites the filter quickly becomes redundant.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have a filtered tap at home so use it all the time and the drinking water is better for it. But always remove them in the van. I do not like the idea of them festering between trips. Also, I believe that the use of sterilisation products removes any effectiveness. Don’t know if that’s the case for sure.

In the van we keep separate water for drinking.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had our filter removed before we even took delivery of our caravan as saw no point in having one as per John's post. However you still need to know where it is to remove. Follow the water inlet pipe as it should be somewhere between the inlet and a tap in the caravan. Ours is hidden behind a set of drawers by the kitchen.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We had our filter removed before we even took delivery of our caravan as saw no point in having one as per John's post. However you still need to know where it is to remove. Follow the water inlet pipe as it should be somewhere between the inlet and a tap in the caravan. Ours is hidden behind a set of drawers by the kitchen.

Same position on my Elddis. We only ever use the water from the tank for washing purposes, so soon I'll be removing it.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We use the onboard water in the van exactly as we would at home-we drink from the taps in the caravan and have never had a filter before and always been happy. Regional variations in tap water ie hard/soft etc are quite interesting; the water from some areas tastes fantastic but most is more than fine imo. We've never had any issue and I've never sterilised the van pipes out-I do pop some puriclean in the aquaroll after each outing and rinse it out before use however and we always drain down the onboard tank.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So chaps when you say you have removed the filter do you just take the filter out or actually disconnect it and rejoin with pipe eliminating the filter housing completely?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the Truma, on my Coachman, I just remove the replacable filter on the outside of the caravan and screw the cap back on the filter housing.

1647719689299.png

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So chaps when you say you have removed the filter do you just take the filter out or actually disconnect it and rejoin with pipe eliminating the filter housing completely?

Some have an in-line filter. Fitted not far after the inlet. Some filter all the vans water, some only the cold to the sink tap.

To replace these look on line, those sold for caravan use are silly prices.. I pay £12 for 3 for home. To remove. You will need two 12 mm push fit connectors and a short length of 12 mm pipe.

Or you may have one like Hutches, or a variant. Mine is like that. I simply leave the filter out. Job done.

John

Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had ours removed completely and replaced with a straight piece of pipe which slotted in either end to existing push fit connections. We still have the original casing.

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Some have an in-line filter. Fitted not far after the inlet. Some filter all the vans water, some only the cold to the sink tap.

To replace these look on line, those sold for caravan use are silly prices.. I pay £12 for 3 for home. To remove. You will need two 12 mm push fit connectors and a short length of 12 mm pipe.

Or you may have one like Hutches, or a variant. Mine is like that. I simply leave the filter out. Job done.

John
Found it under the sink, install date was 03/18 !!
So pre delivery service by the dealer was spot on.....NOT!!
IMG_20220320_133748.jpg

So am assuming they are just push fit so just a length of pipe to replace
The black bottom one looks basic, but is the top chrome one a different fitting?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 2970

The black bottom one looks basic, but is the top chrome one a different fitting?
Kev, you push the end of the pipe fitting in and pull the filter out of the connector. Then just push a new filter in. I suppose a standard water pipe will do as a bypass for the filter.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev, you push the end of the pipe fitting in and pull the filter out of the connector. Then just push a new filter in. I suppose a standard water pipe will do as a bypass for the filter.
Thats what I was thinking, will source a length of pipe and by pass it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 2970

That’s the problem with them too many owners see them as a fixture, or will sterilise with it in situ, and to my mind they become a possible hygiene hazard. They should be changed on life or usage whichever comes first. It’s not included in the standard service unless by owner request and additional cost. My first caravan to have one was in 2005, and it came out shortly afterwards. You are doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagakev and Buckman
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
My dealer service always asked if I wanted it replacing, but when it was serviced pre-covid they hadn't got one is stock. The next service was a registered engineer on the driveway and when he pointed out the expired date I asked him instead to replace with a length of pipe. Maybe this will prevent some of the bits that habitually block the nozzles of the taps that I suspect were from the filter!

Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So one more question, when replacing the filter with the pipe, does it require pipe insert's as you do with the domestic fittings?
Or does the pipe go straight in?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So one more question, when replacing the filter with the pipe, does it require pipe insert's as you do with the domestic fittings?
Or does the pipe go straight in?

If the filter had 12mm push fittings then all that is needed is a short length of 12 mm pipe. It will fit between the existing fittings. If the filter has a different type of fitting then you will need two 12 mm push fit couplings.

This might help.

John

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
If the filter had 12mm push fittings then all that is needed is a short length of 12 mm pipe. It will fit between the existing fittings. If the filter has a different type of fitting then you will need two 12 mm push fit couplings.

This might help.

John
Thanks John, just a length of pipe it is then.
Have done quite a bit of domestic plumbing (water -not gas) and just remembered they used the inserts so doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Thanks again
Kev

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No on board filter for us. On board pump so there is a Whale filter on the end of the feed pipe that sits inside the aquaroll. It also acts as a weight to keep the pipe towards the bottom. Gets changed once or twice a year depending on use and moreso time interval between trips. I. Line onboard filters are more of a nuisance than good imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts