Water Ingress Spongy Ceiling

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
We have just bought a second hand Fiat Ducato Auto-Roller motorhome, 1997/98 reg. We paid a very good price for it, but we knew there was water damage on the ceiling, I checked the floors and walls are they appear to be ok, (not spongy) I have just started removing the roof light to inspect and see how bad it exactly is. And its pretty bad, it looks like its been leaking around the roof light for quite some time.

I am looking for some advice on how best to tackle this, I have removed the lights. and the roof light. I thought I would take down all the ceiling as far as the cab as it appears dry there. cut a straight edge where I can join the new ceiling and old. I'm guessing all the insulation will have had it and need replacing. Then replacing the ceiling panels, I've been looking where you can buy these from for the proper motorhome ones. I am also thinking of upgrading the lighting to LED downlighters while I have the ceiling down.
Which is the best insulation to use? and sealant to use? I have been researching the different ones Silkaflex 220 & 512 also Everbuild Stixall extreme power - this is their description of the product "Hybrid PMS polymer technology. Combined building adhesive and sealant, bonds and seals virtually everything to anything. Water resistant, can be applied to wet surfaces"
Also Everbuild Puraflex 40 "Premium quality one-part high modulus polyurethane sealant and adhesive that provides exceptional resistance to mechanical wear. Used in the engineering, caravan and marine industries and for sealing floor joints in ceramic installations that are subject to high traffic. Excellent chemical resistance"
These are half the price of Silkaflex 512, I've heard some people using Silka Silkaflex EBT from screwfix.
The reason I am taking down the inside first before going up and sealing the outside is because I'm not sure of how they construct motorhome ceiling for structural support if its timber then they could all be rotted, if its aluminium or steel they could be corroded.

I would appreciate any help and guidance on this matter.
Many thanks
Paul

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul, how extensive is the damp? If most of the ceiling appears damp, I suspect that the timber framework will have started to rot & could have caused corrosion of the Aluminium outer skin. Worst case will be that the rot has also started on the wall timbers. then it will be a major job beyond the scope of most individuals. So hopefully not extended that far.
For ceiling panels try Magnum Motorhomes, Grimsby or O'Leary's, Beverley they both usually have stock even if it's not shown on their websites, Other possibilities are Charles & Son's, Poole or Autovan, Wimborne or Autocraft, Stavely.

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi thank you for your reply
Quite extensive, half of the ceiling timber supports were so soaking wet and rotted they just disintegrated on removal of the ceiling panel which pretty much just fell down on its own with a little help. So of the edge timber supports have rotted. I have started removing as much of the rotted timber as I can with compromising the structure of the van, the rest I will remove once I start to rebuild the first half. I have removed the rotted timber plus cut past where it starts to be dry about another 100-150 mm to make sure the wood rot doesn't spread, I have also treated the remaining wood with cuprinol deep penetrating clear wood preservative. (which now I am not so sure I should have done reading an article on Aluminium)
There are corroded pin hole size holes in the roof, and on the side outer skin in the bathroom, as well as one large hole about the size of a fist. I have posted this thread on Out & About Live forum with pictures here is the link: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Coachbuilt-Motorhome-Costruction/37800/
(not sure how to attach photo's on here) but got loads of really over thought and negative replies, about my only option is to re skin the top and the side, another bloke said better to just scrap it and count my losses. I am a competent DIYer as well as a qualified carpenter. So not phased by any of this, and I'm a big believer that everything can be repaired within reason obviously.
My plan of action was this:
>My first step was obviously to rip all the rotted smelly damp timber out, so the motorhome can start to dry out, and I could see how extensive the damage was and where the leaks seem to be coming from. I have put a tarpaulin sheet over the roof whilst carrying out the work as I have no choice but to do it outside.
>Now with 90% of the rotted timbers removed along with fittings, lights, mirrors, wall panels etc. I have treated the corroded Aluminium with Kurust (again not sure I've done the right thing here) I wanted to use a proper Aluminium corrosion cleaner/remover but had no joy in finding one. I then want to run down the inside of the wall skin where the larger hole is and the larger hole on the ceiling with a 400 grit paper before either bonding a new piece of aluminium over the hole from the inside and outside on the roof, then coating with a rubberized Motorhome roof leaking paint which as very good reviews. On the side skin slightly different approach was going to rub down the out side once the new Ally as been bonded to the inside and apply a fiberglass resin sheet, then later sand down and paint to match existing bodywork colour. The smaller pin sized holes I was going to apply to think coats of this paint to the outside of the roof, maybe the inside as well. My main concern is stopping the corrosion from spreading anymore (killing it) and then protecting the inside of the Aluminium skin with some coating (heard zinc chromate is the best but can't buy it anymore) I've researched and apparently you can use a waterproof wax or clear varnish there are a few products to choose from.
> Then comes to the rebuilding part, I was planning on using either a foil or polystyrene thin sheet as a membrane against the Ally as like you clearly pointed out once the timbers get wet and start to rot they release chemicals which corrode the Aluminium so I want to try and prevent this. Then I will use 3/4 mm exterior ply, followed by the treated timbers to make up the frame work, 25 mm kingspan celotex in fill in between the timbers and finished with either the proper 3 mm ply decorative wall boards from magnum or 3 mm exterior ply again finished with a vinyl wall paper finish, done to a very high standard so the paper looks good and not just thrown up.
> I'm using stainless steel screws and angle brackets to attach the timbers to the solid edge/wall timbers.
> Finally I want to upgrade the out dated old and tatty surface mounted ceiling lights with chrome or brshed steel finished flush fitting ceiling downlighters probably 4 and operated by a single switch for on/off operation, and a new larger more modern roof light, sandwich type design as at the moment I am left with about 20 screws poking through into nothing where they were screwed to the timber roof light frame, now rooted and gone. Holes in a motorhome roof is always bad and will inevitably lead to leaks. I plan to once the larger 500 x 500 mm frame as been constructed to cut out all these screws and holes and fit in the new roof light.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You've got a real project on your hands Paul (or Ola?).
It would be good for everyone to see some before/during/ after photos- then people can offer advice as you go along. Lizzie tells me this can be done, but they need to be uploaded to a photo site (eg Flickr) first.
Without wanting to "knock the competition," all that negativity and sniping was the reason I left OAL.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
We've had the same problem although to a much lesser degree, by the sounds of it (see Practical Motorhome Feb 15 issue). Our roof timbers seem to be solid although we can see a small amount of distortion in the ceiling panels. At the moment we're working on the theory that while the roof stays where it should be, we won't start prodding, but I'll be really interested to read about how you get on with the replacement from inside; it's a possibility we've raised for the future so it's great to hear someone else thinks it's possible and is indeed, in the process of doing it.
With reference to the pinholes in the aluminium roof, we used a company called Polytec Coatings, in Wrexham http://www.polyteccoatings.co.uk/ and had a polyurea coating hot-sprayed on the roof, which covers pinholes and stops any future leaks.

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all your comments

I know I have one hell of a project on my hands and intend to document and take photographs throughout. I am quietly confident I have the knowledge, the skills and above all the patience to take on such a challenge. I am some what of a perfectionist and if the van was a newer one, worth more money, or I bought it from new that without doubt I would have it done professionally in a workshop or at least put it in a workshop or barn and then dismantle it, take the roof off back end apart and rebuild as it would have been done from new or (better) as we are now in 2015 not 1997 ;-)

But means must, budget, already started the project outside and frightened to move it now. I will prevail, I am determined to do a top notch job, and the work I will carry out will be up to a very high standard. I wish there were somewhere local to me within 40 miles or so to be able to go and buy the sheets of vinyl paper covered caravan wall boards. Magnum do stock them charge £19.20 p&p and then say that they arrive damaged on all edges by TNT courier and can't be helped.

Regards
Paul

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Having seen the photo's on Outandaboutlive, you have a major project Paul. If you post your location (or add it to your profile) maybe alternative suppliers nearer to you can be suggested. As it is parked outside & you don't wish to move it's current state, would it be feasible to erect a temporary (scaffold) tent over it to eliminate any further water damage during your repair process ?
I think the suggestion on the "alternative" forum regarding resheeting the rear aluminium wall would be the "best" solution.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I had damp problem with the roof, support timbers rotted, pinholes in the aluminium.
Replacement aluminium from Magnum in Grimsby - if you collect make sure you take a big vehicle / trailer as the roll of metal is big. I stripped out all the cross member timbers, the actual roof lining was mainly OK so I managed to retain that, as were the sides. The insulation is polystyrene so it dried our fairly fast.
Once it was all back together I have repainted the whole roof with Rust-Oleum Noxyde from Rawlins Paints - a year on it seems to have provided a good seal.
Good Luck

516yuanyuan

BANNED
May 16, 2016
Visit site
cartier watches for sale
ray ban sunglasses
new balance outlet
valentino shoes
gucci outlet
abercrombie and fitch
converse shoes
dior sunglasses
burberry handbags
oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglass,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglasses cheap,oakley sunglasses outlet,oakley store,oakley outlet,oakley outlet store,oakley sunglasses sale,oakley sunglasses discount
mizuno running shoes
reebok outlet
kate spade outlet
lululemon sale
longchamp outlet
ray ban sunglasses
rolex submariner
coach outlet store online
stephen curry shoes
toms outlet
kate spade outlet
levis 501
michael kors bags
designer handbags
louboutin shoes
cheap jordans
nike free runs
adidas supercolor
nike roshe run women
hollister co
yeezy boost 350
burberry outlet online
adidas trainers
coach factory outlet online
basketball shoes
chaussure louboutin
versace
omega watches
michael kors outlet
cheap air max
ray ban sunglass,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans
vans outlet
louboutin outlet
ecco shoes
michael kors outlet clearance
ghd flat iron
sac longchamp
canada goose jackets
coach purses
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet
instyler max
oakley sunglasses wholesale
versace sunglasses
toms shoes
adidas nmd
prada outlet
adidas superstars
ralph lauren
air max 95
coach factory outlet
longchamp bag
chi flat iron
armani jeans
oakley outlet
reebok uk
true religion outlet
michael kors handbags
fitflops sale clearance
polo ralph lauren
lacoste outlet
cheap jordan shoes
ralph lauren outlet online
michael kors outlet
adidas nmd
nike store uk
skechers shoes
louis vuitton borse
rolex watches
ralph lauren uk
nba jerseys wholesale
christian louboutin
louis vuitton pas cher
nmd adidas
cheap nfl jerseys
sac longchamp pliage
yeezy boost 350
converse all star
hollister sale
michael kors outlet
burberry
ralph lauren outlet
lululemon outlet
oakey sunglasses wholesale
burberry uk
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
yeezy boost 350 white
pandora jewelry
michael kors outlet
adidas shoes uk
asics shoes
hermes belt
polo ralph lauren
kate spade outlet
yeezy boost 350
designer handbags outlet
lacoste shoes
adidas nmd white
toms shoes
supra shoes
bottega veneta handbags
nike air max
ugg outlet
supra for sale
gucci handbags outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet online
ray ban outlet
nhl jerseys wholesale
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet online
louboutin outlet
adidas pure boost
pandora charms
louis vuitton bags
cheap ray-ban sunglasses
michael kors bags
adidas superstar
cheap oakleys outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
burberry outlet
nike cortez white
nike trainers
nike air max 90
kate spade outlet
louboutin pas cher
nike tn
micahel kors
converse shoes
michael kors outlet
prada sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
hermes uk
cartier watches
adidas shoes
asics gel nimbus
mlb jerseys wholesale
converse
coach outlet
adidas stan smith
nike cortez
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton outlet online
coach factory outlet
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses outlet
air force 1
rolex replica watches
cheap ray ban sunglasses
toms wedges
cheap ray ban outlet
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors handbags
ed hardy uk
nike blazer
ray ban sunglasses
under armour shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin uk
fitflop uk
coach outlet
jimmy choo shoes
nike huarache black
running shoes
cheap oakleys
jordan pas cher
polo ralph lauren outlet
valentino outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet stores
omega seamaster
fitflops shoes
ralph lauren outlet
cheap nike shoes
true religion outlet
coach outlet online
coach outlet clearance
gucci borse
nike air max uk
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
true religion
louis vuitton outlet
fitflops outlet
reebok shoes
ferragamo shoes
ghd hair straighteners
nike air max
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors handbags
hollister
salvatore ferragamo
michael kors handbags
ed hardy outlet
michael kors handbags
wholesale nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
true religion jeans
jordans shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas gazelle
nike huarache
michael kors purses
fitflops sale
vans shoes
jimmy choo outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
burberry outlet
yeezy boost 350 black
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
fitflops sale
ray bans
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet online
oakley sunglasses
reebok
under armour outlet
ugg outlet
nike air max
bottega veneta
armani exchange
air jordans
michael kors handbgas
puma shoes
cheap jordans
babyliss flat iron
"Lowry scores 35, DeRozan has 28, Raptors beat Heat 116-89
TORONTO (AP) — Kyle Lowry scored 35 points, DeMar DeRozan had 28 and the Toronto Raptors beat the Miami Heat 116-89 on Sunday in Game 7 to reach the conference finals for the first time in franchise history.

Bismack Biyombo added 17 points and 16 rebounds for the Raptors. They'll open the Eastern Conference Finals in Cleveland against LeBron James and the Cavaliers on Tuesday night. Toronto fans chanted 'We Want Cleveland!' in the seconds.

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded : 0%Progress : 0%0:00
Fullscreen
00:00
Mute
DeMarre Carroll scored 14 points, and Patrick Patterson had 11 to help the Raptors become the 15th team in NBA history to win two Game 7s in one postseason. Toronto beat Indiana in the first round.

Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic each scored 16 points for the Heat. They were denied the opportunity to renew acquaintances with former teammate James in the conference finals
But after Toronto dominated the Heat in the second half and rode the superior play of Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan to a 116-89 romp, the Raptors won the series 4-3 and advanced to its first East Finals. For once, they did not underachieve. They played like a team that had won 56 games in the regular-season. They’ve been in existence since 1995-96 and had been out of the first round just once before this spring. Before Sunday’s rout of the Heat, they had been mostly known through the years for losing big playoff games, often at home.

So Canada loves it, but basketball fans won’t be able to see the Heat try to exact some revenge against James for leaving Miami two years ago as a free agent. Even James admitted during the second-round series against Atlanta that he wanted to play Wade, his old teammate, for the right to get to the Finals."
deef

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts