Waving!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
C.mon Gareth why would anyone want to wave at a Shogun driver?? (Hides behind dashboard)

Whats up with a friendly gesture?? I always speak to my neighbours on site even the rich ones with motorhomes !!

Lighten up guys, ;-) wave at everyone (except Gareth with the Shogun that does 18 to the gallon and will never sell it cos it will cost

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
A few years ago we hired a motorhome for a week. After travelling from Nottingham up the west coast, across the north coast and down the east coast of the UK almost every motorhome waved at us! I thought it was a bit silly, but when I was about 18 I owned a Mk3 Spitfire, and all the other Spitfire owners flashed their Cibie Oscars ( ask your dad! ) at each other. I didn't think it was silly then!

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hi all.As in my first year of caravaning i wasn`t sure if i should wave or not but you lot have convinced me too,good bit of fun as we are all in holiday mode.I`m a HGV driver and flashing in other trucks is second naturue and now all you fellow caravaners get a full set off DAF lights when pulling in.Lets all wave,flash and smile together.Happy hols.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh my goodness! why do you think anyone, just because they are towing a caravan would want to wave at a complete stranger? Should i wave at all Shogun drivers, just because they are driving the same vehicle as me?

I'm sorry, but get a grip!!!!!!
Land Rover drivers do !! I think they call it camaraderie.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Waving sounds an awful lot like exercise to me. All that energy.

To quote Buzz Aldrin, "I believe that every human being has a finite amount of heartbeats to go though life and I'm not about to waste any of mine on exercise."

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Well said RAY most Caravanners dont want to know you on the field,come to that when you pass in the wash block you just get a grunt sometimes so why bother to wave,and at the next junction they will proberly give you the V anyway,

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I know i seem to be a grump to most cos i don't wave! But i'm amazed at the amount of people that say they don't get chatting on site and are ignored by others when walking past! Now this i can firmly say i am not guilty off! In fact, i probably talk too much! So if you see a twin axle towing shogun arrive on site next to you beware! It could be me and i will break what seems to be the norm and start chatting:)

Gar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I first went to France (1957) you always waved at another GB car - almost a point of honour about who waved first.

Now, I'm afraid, if the supermarket carpark is full of GB plated cars the heart sinks as the conversation in the store will be about how much better things are in UK. why do these folk bother to go abroad ?

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I remember in France in the early 80s hearing a southern voice in the supermarche louding exclaiming "where's the cheddar" whilst looking at all the wonderful french cheeses.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI WOLFIE,my son drives a new focus rs,my son gets waved to by fellow Focus rs owners,its classed as being friendly,sometimes they stop and have chat about their cars. it would be nice to wave to other caravanners because most of us are a friendly bunch.ALL THE BEST ALAN P/T

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI GARETH,im the same as you i probaly talk to much aswell you learn things by chatting to people,also make new friends like we did last month while we were in france. see what i mean i write to much aswell. WELL ALL THE BEST ALAN P/T

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
HI GARETH,im the same as you i probaly talk to much aswell you learn things by chatting to people,also make new friends like we did last month while we were in france. see what i mean i write to much aswell. WELL ALL THE BEST ALAN P/T
as someone who has been caravanning for a few years and i try to wave but there have been a few times where i am too slow to respond (concentrating on the road).

also i like other caravan owners as i am not the best talker and a bit shy but some of the people i have met have been great

May 21, 2008
Visit site
After reading all the threads on this topic and especially the ones from the mods, I've drawn the conclussion that there are a whole load of miserable stuck up farts out there.

You get motorcyclist's nodding to each other, classic car owners waving, motorhome folks waving. But what do you get from the crowd who have contibuted here? A stuck up nose and the "I'm considerably better than yow".

I've caravanned for 28 years and been a driver of mopeds, motorcycles, cars, vans (none white though), 4X4's and lorries, speed boats and sailing yachts, for 33 years. If I saw a fellow caravanner in trouble I would stop and assist.

Over the years I've noticed a steady decline of friendlyness and courtesy to others. If I hold the door open for someone, they look at me as if I'm about to mug them. Please and thankyou seem to be lost words these days. I even had cause to have a friendly chat with a police person and that was met with suspicion, despite it being a question about not being able to display a tax disc on my car because I'd bought it online and it had not arrived in time, and we all know how popular it is to nick the motorist.

These days, if you flash your lights at an oncomming motorist and do the thumbs down you are likely to get the "trying to get rid of cramp shakey hand thing" or the "that's twice it's happened to me" responce. But all I'm realy trying to do is save you 3 points on your license or having an accident.

So all those miserable old farts who haven't got a "good morning, Hello, or a friendly wave" in their soul's had better stay at home in the miserable old git corner.

I can remember as a child, the days when an AA patrolman would salute cars with the AA badge on them. But I guess some jobs worth decided that a claim for RSI was likely to be around the corner, as we progress into the "where there's BLAME, there's a CLAIM" culture we are degrading into today.

I'll give you a wave Wolfie when I'm out with the van on the back.

I think people have forgotten that caravanning is about having fun. Why not make a boring 100 mile road trip fun too!

atb ttfn

Steve L.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "After reading all the threads on this topic and especially the ones from the mods"

Out of 43 posts,3 were from users who also happen to be Mods, so what is so special about our postings?

I simply said I cannot understand the logic in waving at someone I dont know, at a closing speed of 120mph or thereabouts.

Parksy commented ,as steve in leo also repeated, about long gone traditions of AA men on motorbikes saluting....

And Ray commented on the number of folk on holiday abroad and their attitude to their surroundings (or lack of it and complaining that its "not like home",,,,well , it is isnt, it is a foreign country which they chose to go to.

As a biker I will always nod to another biker, as a Caravanner I will always offer assistance if it is required.

This does not mean that I have to wave at every caravan on the road.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
simply said I cannot understand the logic in waving at someone I dont know, at a closing speed of 120mph or thereabouts.

Dont followy our logic here,cos if its about safety....

but what about looking at your sat nav or changing radio stations etc. Changing gear and so on ?

Im dont why SiL made a specific reference to the mods,but each to his own.

I do agree though that its all a bit silly waving to some one i will,in all probability never,ever meet and may not even like ,but if you want to wave then wave away. Perhaps we were all a but more friendly and considerate then the roads may be a safer place than they are now.

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
The simple reason we do not wave is the same reason that we now have Toilets,heating,fridges,microwaves,TV,Internet and mobile phones in caravans things have moved on not always for the better but in the case of not waving, on safety grounds alone it must be an improvement I thought it was best to read the road ahead and concentrate on driving safely however it now appears many people are more concerned what others are doing I.E speeding ,overloaded,badly loaded.I could go on but in life it is more importantto help than criticise

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "Dont followy our logic here,cos if its about safety....

but what about looking at your sat nav or changing radio stations etc. Changing gear and so on ?"

Its nothing to do with safety, I dont look at the sat nav, it speaks to me,and if I do have to look at it, it is usually on the approach to a roundabout and is in view anyway.

Changing gear ,,,,its auto,no need, changing radio stations,its on a column stalk at my fingertips, dont need to look at it.

Maybe everyone wearing a blue shirt should wave at each other, or everyone who shops at M&S should,or everyone who lives in a bungalow should,,,,,its nonsensical

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I was simply passing comment on the opening tone of replies to the topic Damien. It seemed to me like the joveality and respect for fellow caravanners had been replaced with can't be bothered or why should I bother.

I meet a bloke when I started working at a Lotus car chassis manufacturer who thought it appropriate to threaten me with "those who interfear get their knuckles wrapped", to which I replied "who thinks they're hard enough to wrap my knuckles".

Of coarse he was frightened of loosing his job that his manager mate had got him. You see his real qualification was a brickie, and not a CNC programmer/engineer like myself. Revenge was sweet not long after as I passed him on the side of the road with steam pouring out of his car. I stopped quite a way up the road and watched him running towards me. Did I stop there, did I hell. I drove off. Well why should I help an unfriendly collegue, who thought he was above us in the pecking order.

When the company moved to Worcester, I was asked to be a leading hand in the CNC section where "Clever Trevor" as we'd nick named him had again been promoted to supervisor/CNC program proover. He thought he was so "clever" that he could demand a substancial salary, or he'd walk.

Again opportunity came my way in the shape of the new production manager, who was no fool. He spotted my CNC qualifications on the HR file and took me to one side and told me the basics of what trev was upto. He asked me what I thought. I told him to have a look through my CV and City & Guilds certificates to see what a true engineer looks like and then ask Trev for his CV. You guessed it. All Trev had was an internal certificate from a CNC machine manufacturer to say he was a qualified operator. So John B called his bluff and Trev couldn'd back down.

So a lesson there. Be nice to people and be sociable as you never know when you might need their support.

I progressed through the Company and as a shift supervisor I always had the most efficient, quality concious, and highest attending teams. My boss even swapped me to all 3 shifts as the other 2 teams had poor results. In a matter of weeks I would again of made the bad teams good and my previous teams had slipped down the OEE (Overall Equipment & Efficiencey) graphs.

I was asked by the management team why this happened. My reply was, please, thankyou & well done, are words that cost nothing but they put smiles on faces and breed a helpfull crew who want to please you and be the best that they can be.

Funny isn't it. A few well chosen gestures and a few kind words can make someone's day and develope a good rapor.

So why not a friendly wave on by roads, I wouldn't do it on a motorway as you wouldn't see in time, and also one needs both hands for a safe drive on the motorways these days with all the plonkers about.

Atb Steve L :) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts