Weight Plate

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have my new up rated weight plate for my swift.
The new plate is the same make, (print etc) up as the old one, that faded after a few years and it looks, as if, this will do the same.
When I fit the new one I'm going to lacquer it, if I can.
Has anyone else done this, is there a danger of the print ink running?
Would try testing a small area but the label is small so not much to test.
I have just searched back to 2010 to see if the question had been asked before, didn't find one.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cant help with your question, but I am very interested in the uprated plate. How did you go about it and what costs were involved?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy
They all offer this service.
Bailey will increase your MTPLM plate for £60.00. I expect the others are similar. So ask yourself what the axle can actually carry before failure?
Otherclive has a relaxed axle failure. Alleged by the boffins as overloaded...............Be careful and ask the manufacturer exactly what the axle loads are.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
They just uprate to the axial rating rather than the calculation that the manufactures normally use.

So the amount of the increase varies from van to van.

On my Luna Clubman, which is rated at 1440 kg the uprating gains 55 kg which is just under the 1500 kg rating of the axial.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thingy said:
Cant help with your question, but I am very interested in the uprated plate. How did you go about it and what costs were involved?
Went along to my stealer with my van registration asking for a weight upgrade, they applied to swift, cost £60 pounds.
The van bought new, like many, was down-rated to bring the MTPLM in line with more Lower kerb weight cars.
Swift have all the information about the van, and I'm sure they would not give a MTPLM that would relax the axle.
Answered my own question regarding lacquering my new plate, It's made of plastic and the lacquer may melt it, not going to attempt it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Bailey and Swift plates both faded so I obtained replacements. I did consider sticking the replacement inside the door but in the end opted to carry the replacement plate and the re-issue documents in the caravan. So if I am stopped I always have the information available. No doubt someone will tell me that it’s not legal to display that plate but my caravan has a bonded plate in the front locker giving axle load and max noseweight and another plate affixed to the axle which also shows axle max load. So the only other data shown by the plates that fade are MTPLM, tyre size, tyre pressure and wheel torque. So keeping it in the caravan still makes it available for inspection

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
My Bailey and Swift plates both faded so I obtained replacements. I did consider sticking the replacement inside the door but in the end opted to carry the replacement plate and the re-issue documents in the caravan. So if I am stopped I always have the information available. No doubt someone will tell me that it’s not legal to display that plate but my caravan has a bonded plate in the front locker giving axle load and max noseweight and another plate affixed to the axle which also shows axle max load. So the only other data shown by the plates that fade are MTPLM, tyre size, tyre pressure and wheel torque. So keeping it in the caravan still makes it available for inspection

Would it be that wrong to stick next to the the bonded plate in the locker? The thought had crossed my mind.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
otherclive said:

Would it be that wrong to stick next to the the bonded plate in the locker? The thought had crossed my mind.

Can’t see any problem with doing that. After all your car weight plates aren’t stuck out in the open air.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To pull this thread around to a discussion that has been running for the last few weeks....

If the OPs caravan was made in 2012 or later the sticker by the door is only indicative, the plate that states the legal MTPLM is in the gas locker. Arguably if the plate in the gas locker is higher than the sticker, then the sticker could be classed as illegal but it might take a court case to prove it.

The gas locker MTPLM weight will NOT exceed the rating of the axle. The axle rating (assuming Al-Ko) is on a label stuck to the axle casing - you might need to reach underneath with a small camera (not a phone) to take a picture of it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Thingy
They all offer this service.
Bailey will increase your MTPLM plate for £60.00. I expect the others are similar. So ask yourself what the axle can actually carry before failure?
Otherclive has a relaxed axle failure. Alleged by the boffins as overloaded...............Be careful and ask the manufacturer exactly what the axle loads are.

Hello dusty
Weight upgrades are not automatically available, it depends on each individual model of caravan and the chassis components that were fitted by the manufacturer. If the manufacture had used all the chassis capacity, they cannot offer an upgrade.

Some manufacturers also limit the availability of upgrades to first owner only, or vans under a certain age. So it cant be a foregone conclusion that a caravanner can obtain an upgrade.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
To pull this thread around to a discussion that has been running for the last few weeks....

If the OPs caravan was made in 2012 or later the sticker by the door is only indicative, the plate that states the legal MTPLM is in the gas locker. Arguably if the plate in the gas locker is higher than the sticker, then the sticker could be classed as illegal but it might take a court case to prove it.

The gas locker MTPLM weight will NOT exceed the rating of the axle. The axle rating (assuming Al-Ko) is on a label stuck to the axle casing - you might need to reach underneath with a small camera (not a phone) to take a picture of it.

At the end of the day I was able to take photos of my axle plate with my iPhone so don’t rule out using a phone. My smaller Samsung WB and LUMIX TZ80 cameras wouldn’t focus close enough.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Prof,
Agreed,. Bailey say ‘
A: Max upgrade kits on the majority of current models are available as a cost option though Prima Leisure- the home of Bailey parts and accessories’
I have to assume non current models are excluded possibly? Maybe the older ones are more susceptible to relaxed axle issues?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that not all models can be upgraded as we did ask about that on our last caravan and the dealer rang Lunar who confirmed they chassis was at its limit and an upgrade was not possible.
The sticker by the door on the new one shows a weight 20kg above Lunar,s published figure, which the dealer had not noticed. There is a second model with the same size body, which has the higher figure so I am not sure what to make of it.
I have not found one in the locker though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,

Bearing in mind the OP was about a Swift caravan, and in your first post in the thread you stated "They all offer this service" and then went on to describe your Bailey.

Each manufacture will have their own view on such things, and will apply whatever T&C's they wish. One manufacturers policy cannot be assumed to be the same for all manufacturers.

It is pure speculation to assume that a refusal to upgrade by a manufacturer is due to a propensity for caravans to develop a relaxed axle, or any other mechanical issue.

Who said Policies had to make sense?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hi Prof,
Agreed,. Bailey say ‘
A: Max upgrade kits on the majority of current models are available as a cost option though Prima Leisure- the home of Bailey parts and accessories’
I have to assume non current models are excluded possibly? Maybe the older ones are more susceptible to relaxed axle issues?

Dusty
Some 2016-17 Bailey owners have reported suspension problems. So it’s difficult to know what Bailey mean by current models other than those in the current catalogue. I really can’t fathom out why the British makes don’t offer new buyers the option of s proper upgrade not just enough to cover a decent mover. One thread recently dealt with a new Knaus. It could be specified at 1300 kg MTPLM or upgraded in stages to 1700 kg. Of course the higher MTPLM variants had different chassis but from
memory the cost was around €300-400. Of course the owner doesn’t have to use all of that extra nor does a second or subsequent owner. Caravelair do a similar thing too. It makes me think that British makers think we are too thick to understand the concept whilst they are beavering away trying to sell the concept of carefree family holidays on a weight budget little more than four of us used to take around the Beacons on our weekends out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Coachman also offer the upgrade on all current models.
Maybe at the time of purchase we need to ask the dealer to state the axle rating ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Maybe at the time of purchase we need to ask the dealer to state the axle rating ;)

Nice idea but Swift were unable to tell me the axle specifications and data required to order one from Alko. But perhaps with a current caravan they may have the info. ?????

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

Nice idea but Swift were unable to tell me the axle specifications and data required to order one from Alko. But perhaps with a current caravan they may have the info. ?????
Was their own forum , ‘Swift talk’ any use?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

Just booked France for next year ye ha B) so my axle will be nearly loaded to the max with wine contraband coming back :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

Just booked France for next year ye ha B) so my axle will be nearly loaded to the max with wine contraband coming back :p
Do you know what your axle rating is? With a MTPLM of 1518kgs it must be pretty hefty??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

No. Via the Forum or direct submission I was advised to refer the question directly to Alko. Eventually when pictures of the axle tally plate were referred to Alko they promptly sent a pdf technical drawing and required all dimensions to be checked on my installed axle prior to ordering. A key dimension being the distance across the caravan between the outer faces of the brake drums. Ie a jack it up and remove the wheels session.
The new axle is on order so hopefully we can get it sorted in time for a run out at half term. The Sprite deserves a nice trip out with its new back panel and newcaxle. 2018 not been a good year for durability. I am getting a bit OCD regarding payload as I’m seriously considering using the roof box to put more in the car!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

I posted my OP on PC because, on the Swift forum there is a real chance of someone making you feel that you shouldn't have posted it in the first place, I still have a look but will not be posting on there, very often in future.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For the end user and for roadside vehicle checks the axle plate is irrelevant. The one that counts and takes precedence over all others is the type approval plate applied by the caravan manufacturer himself, not the chassis manufacturer. That's the one that gives definitive details of MTPLM, max. axle load, and max. noseweight.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Lutz said:
For the end user and for roadside vehicle checks the axle plate is irrelevant. The one that counts and takes precedence over all others is the type approval plate applied by the caravan manufacturer himself, not the chassis manufacturer. That's the one that gives definitive details of MTPLM, max. axle load, and max. noseweight.

I agree, but many caravan rating plates only carry the nett weight of the van and its MTPLM weight, my Lunar Clubman for example.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Dodger524 said:
I agree, but many caravan rating plates only carry the nett weight of the van and its MTPLM weight, my Lunar Clubman for example.
What you are looking at is not the statutory plate then. Since 2009 all caravans must have a plate quoting MTPLM, max. axle loads and max. noseweight, (and since 2014 also the type approval number). Net weight will not appear on that plate. If it's not immediately apparent it may be in the front locker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts