What’s the best model (Fixed bed end washroom)?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Transverse beds need to provide a semblance of access past the bottom and so are limited in length, even on an 8 ft wide caravan and even other layouts tend to limit the bed length because of overall room constraints. Very few go seriously over 6 ft. Possibly the best bet for very tall people is using the front lounge as a bed so you get the entire width of the caravan which should be 7 ft plus.
If you are looking at second hand models, there are a few still around with the double lounge layout, where you can leave the rear one made up as a bed to get near the benefit of a fixed one. there are also a few models where you can have a second lounge where a side bed would normally be which converts to a bed if needed. This would allow the front lounge to be used as a bed and you then can use the central one as the main lounge, if that would work for you.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ray's totally correct; our Buc mattress is 6'3" but of course that's the length end to end-if you are over 6' then you may struggle. The bed tucks away a bit in day time-access is there though even when fully extended-managed it even with a broken heel last year. As above maybe using the front bed on a 2 birth is the answer-some make up a huge bed. Or 2 singles as suggested-you really need to go round and try out the various layouts.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Probably a L Shaped caravan might be better for my needs
My seasonal van Elddis Crusader Super Sirocco L Shaped i could sleep full length across at the front with no problems .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we had a Coachman 545 with the rear island, we found that the round shower door would crack at the top. , so much space under the bed, that you could wrongly load the van by overloading the area. . A side bed for us, and never single beds. I like my cuddles.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had a Coachman 545 with the rear island, we found that the round shower door would crack at the top. , so much space under the bed, that you could wrongly load the van by overloading the area. . A side bed for us, and never single beds. I like my cuddles.
Hi Hutch i think everyone like there cuddles and keep them coming

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably a L Shaped caravan might be better for my needs
My seasonal van Elddis Crusader Super Sirocco L Shaped i could sleep full length across at the front with no problems .

We have had two caravans with the L shaped lounge. They give a far more open feel during the day but the beds can be a problem. They need to be made up of several cushions and you can have problems getting a really flat bed. We did tend to lie on the underside of the cushions to help with this and used an open sleeping bag on top to finish. I would try and see if the bed can be made up easily and be flat before you go for this layout if you are to sleep at the front.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have had two caravans with the L shaped lounge. They give a far more open feel during the day but the beds can be a problem. They need to be made up of several cushions and you can have problems getting a really flat bed. We did tend to lie on the underside of the cushions to help with this and used an open sleeping bag on top to finish. I would try and see if the bed can be made up easily and be flat before you go for this layout if you are to sleep at the front.
Hi Raywood the front bed we never made up because i like to sleep on as it was and it was wide enough for my 6ft 5in also just remember this was a twin axle .
the fixed bed was not a problem either. we found it great for a seasonal van we even live in it for some weeks when we were moving homes

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at this photo i would say 4 wheels and does that answer your question
makes me wonder how many your caravan got
Must be awful trying to tow a L shape caravan instead of the normal rectangular box caravan. Surely it takes up more than the width of one lane being L shape? :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Must be awful trying to tow a L shape caravan instead of the normal rectangular box caravan. Surely it takes up more than the width of one lane being L shape? :ROFLMAO:
Hi Buckman did you read (28) it was a seasonal van and I believe that people on this forum would use their commonsense? My van had a L shaped lounge area which proved to be very helpful to stretch out with being 6' 5''. Hope that this is of more help for you?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman did you read (28) it was a seasonal van and I believe that people on this forum would use their commonsense? My van had a L shaped lounge area which proved to be very helpful to stretch out with being 6' 5''. Hope that this is of more help for you?
I was being light hearted and was trying to make a joke. Apologies if you thought I was being serious.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This was our Eldiss. The L shaped lounge was a special order and did fool a few people because that window was different to the standard model.

936a.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This was our Eldiss. The L shaped lounge was a special order and did fool a few people because that window was different to the standard model.

View attachment 1017
Your picture reminds me of an accident I had with one of those hanging clothes dryers. On our first trip out in a brand new Bailey S5 Bordeaux I set up the clothes dryer on a near side front window. Five minutes later I walked into it putting a visible dent into the side of the caravan. Gutted wasn’t the word. But a self adhesive orange reflector masked the dent quite well and after time I completely forgot about it. But no more side dryers.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi, We’re currently looking at getting a 2016 (or newer) Bailey Unicorn Valencia but is there a better alternative than this make/model but keeping this layout? Budget circ £15k
thanks
Look at a 2017 Conqueror 570 same layout as my last Valencia, but HT built so no wood to worry about rotting.

My Valencia had wood rot in the floor...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Eldiss had an L shaped front lounge and a single one at the rear with bunk over. It did mean it was a bind to make up the bed but with two girls to house, a lounge bed was always going to be needed. At that time I had a company car which limited the choice of caravan to what a Cavalier could tow.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The Eldiss had an L shaped front lounge and a single one at the rear with bunk over. It did mean it was a bind to make up the bed but with two girls to house, a lounge bed was always going to be needed. At that time I had a company car which limited the choice of caravan to what a Cavalier could tow.
Hi Ray
We were away for a long weekend at Matlock our head gasket went on the day for going home next door neighbour offered to take me home his car was a Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 ( His caravan was a Bailey Senator 5000 twin axle touring caravan )
He said my car will handle your 4 berth touring caravan single axle he drop my wife and son plus two dogs off at home to pick up her car and he took the caravan to storage we gave him his petrol money we have never forgotton him just wish we knew his name .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Beachball, The Cavalier was a good tow car but ours came with a 1300 petrol engine and did not have the power of the diesel. The caravan had to be lightweight for it to cope. Probably accounts for our early caravans, Piper, Trophy Medallion, Coachman Mirage before Eldiss. Later we got a Vectra with 2.2 diesel and life was then far easier.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Beachball, The Cavalier was a good tow car but ours came with a 1300 petrol engine and did not have the power of the diesel. The caravan had to be lightweight for it to cope. Probably accounts for our early caravans, Piper, Trophy Medallion, Coachman Mirage before Eldiss. Later we got a Vectra with 2.2 diesel and life was then far easier.
Hi Ray i think we had a piper caravan i cannot remember the model but it must have been a 4 berth because our son always came away with us until he got his friends . ( i would agree Ray the Cavalier were a great towcar)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts