What 7 seater Car?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everybody

I'm looking to buy a 7 seater vehicle to tow my caravan (unladen weight of 1000KG) and wondered whether you had any recommendations?

I am looking to spend approx £5000 ish but could go slightly higher if it was worth the extra money.

I am also looking to take the caravan / family to France in the summer so it needs to be fairly reliable and will also be looking for European breakdown cover as well so also need a "coverable" age.

At the moment the front runner is a Ford Galaxy but I am definitely open to suggestions...any ideas?

Thanks

Rhys

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We have a Seat Alhambra and tow a 1710kg TA with no problems at all, although they are essentially the same (Seat, Ford and VW Sharan) I prefer the Seat because it has the VW PD engine and the SE version we have has the harder lower suspension only used in the V6s on the other makes.

We are looking to change it for other reasons (see other post) but an excellent towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The C&CC magazine this month has a write up on the VW Caddy as a seven seater MPV and having looked at the VW web page it appears quite a good vehicle. Never ever considered it before as always thought it was just a van but I must admit I am quite impressed with it.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we use an 04 Galaxy 130 with roof aircon,the earlier ones have floor vents which are very poor for anyone in rear,traded ours in because of that.Apart from that we were really pleased with it and are delighted with this one had it 5 years now with very minor problems

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
i would look on the autotrader website there are some kia sedonas with low milage at a very good price, my parents and i take their caravan out quite regularly with my 3 children and the sedona pulls like a train, even up hills, we went to dorset for a week and then drove straight to southport for a week in the summer holidays and towing a 4 berth bailey,full awning with annexe,3 adults, 3kids plus luggage, it never used adrop of oil or water, forgot to mention iys a 53 plate and done nearly 80,000 miles

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I know someone that was towing their van with the alhambra, 110K on the clock no problems with it a really economical for the type of vehicle, same as old galaxy but cheaper

G

More choice when it comes to the ford,which also has the VW PD engine, and in zetec spec comes with stiffer suspension,ours is showing 130k and frankly have no worries on the mechanical side. Galaxies for some reason have more problems with their Air con than the Seat,or more likely they have sold a lot more so threads on Galaxy type sites seem to show a high amount of complaints in this area.

These MPV's are actually pretty versatile, as I was not a fan but bought one solely to tow our 1500kg caravan which it does quite well.If the family unit is 5 or less, then you have this absolutely huge boot. Which ever of the Family group VW seat,or ford you buy they will be good tow cars,there are only two of us now so we can actually swivel the front seat around in the Galaxy and make a very comfortable bed for longer journeys with it, actually a nice touch by ford.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
I've have a Seat Alhambra 130 Tdi Se Sport. I tow an Elddis Odysssey 524 (1450kg MTPLM) and just love this car. It averages 42-43mpg solo, maybe 50 on a run and between 24-30 towing depending on the vaiables like wind direction, road speed etc.

It has masses of room, is incredibly versitile and has very high spec. If it had the VW 4motion AWD system, it would IMHO be the perfect family tow car.

I bought mine after reading reviews from members on the forum and I can say hand on heart, it was a very good move. Mine even has swivelling front seats! (Not that I've ever found the right occasion to use them). If you buy one, do see about an AA/RAC type warranty as the rear cabin heater has a reputation for packing up and costs about

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hello Rhys,

Diesel Galaxy , me and my two Brothers tow with them, 2 of us have new ones where the 3rd row of seats fold into the floor and one has the older type that the Seats are removed, but still good.

G

Don't let the rear space heater replacement price put you off,as in 9 out of ten cases its the glow plug that fails,tricky job to replace but not expensive.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
have a look at The Ford S Max, drives a lot better than the galaxy, A bit smaller but seats 7. Ive had one 3 years towing 1500kg and its great 2,0Tdci 140Bhp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts