What a weekend

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Well i was traveling from Ipswich to Lowestoft,and decieded to pop into another site just to look at it for another weekend away (and i wish i hadnt)

Quite a well laid out and clean site with plenty of caravans tourers and statics,and the grass looked lovely and firm and when going across it i bogged the van and car down quite firm,one man came to my rescue and he only had a car so really of no help but we had a good laugh about it,some where in there vans with no attempt to help what so ever so i went across with my tail between my legs to ask a man with a 4x4 if he could,his answer was sorry i cant,(proberly didnt want to get it dirty)mmmmmm Stuff you i thought,well the owners of the site where unavailable for whatever reason,so it was back to the breakdown people to which from start to finish was very good,the girl on the phone on the first call was very polite and indeed was the breakdown truck driver,they took 30 mins to get to me and towed both car and van safely off site leaving ruts up to five inches deep on the grass,so i have learned one thing in future i will walk the groud before i go on even if it looks firm,and i hope this can be a guideline to others,anyway we had a laugh about it when i got home,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Eddie REALLY!!!!!! asking a 4x4 owner to use his vehicle for what it was intended,,,,,you should stand in the corner and write out 100 times "A 4x4 is for show only"

We got stuck once, same kind of "help" from a similar driver, maybe the same one as you found!!

We unhitched the van from the car, managed to get the car out eventually (accidentally spraying the 4x4 with lots of mud), went to a local B&Q and bought 20 mtrs of rope.

Went back to the van, left the car on terra firma, put the rope on the van hitch and towball of the car and pulled it out that way.

Always keep the rope in the van locker now.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It often makes me wonder what makes some people tick, they are too ********* miserable to breathe.

If I saw someone struggling they wouldn't need to come and ask me because I would be there. Surely he couldn't have been worried he might get his tyres muddy?

In this thread can anyone come up with a reason why this man (I use that term loosely) refused to help?

My guess is his haemorrhoids were playing him up.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we stayed at Callow Top, the weather was duff, anyway, there was a steep incline to the campsite. It had been raining and there were three million leaves on the road. Non 4x4's towing couldn't get up the steep incline. My brother in law gladly towed car and caravans up the incline for people.

Mind you, there are some very strange people about. Opposite our tiny pitch was a 'man' with a brand new 4x4 and he would get in the vehicle, 6.30 am ish was the first time of the day, start the engine up and sit there for ages without moving. He did that every day for a week on numerous occasions. I'm all for being proud of your new vehicle but that's very odd. Oh well, I guess it added to the global warming situation. LOL! He also had four pocket dogs yapping away all the time and instead of having lights on in the caravan, had lighted candles. I know that because the pitches were that close together, you could see what your neighbour was having for tea.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well Lisa, we all know that some mens vehicles are an extension of their doodah :O)

I really must take you to task over this comment though ... "there were three million leaves on the road".

You really must get a life Lisa if all you have to do of interest is to count leaves .... heh! heh!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We got stuck on a very waterlogged pitch at Abersoch, and we had any number of 4 x 4 owners vying to help us - all built like Welsh rugby players. In the end they managed to 'manually handle' us off pitch, and off site - and caused very little damage to the grass. We've also had loads of offers of help whenever we've needed it, and equally would never leave anyone who looked remotely like they were struggling. We helped hold down awnings, manoeuvre people on to difficult pitches, hold branches out of the way, and made tea or offered a beer for people who arrived looking stressed out.

In my experience the above is a much more frequent scenario, than anyone refusing to help. Sorry you had such a bad experience, Eddie.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We always offer our assistance if we think it is needed!

I can't understand what is wrong with some people nowadays, they would rather standby and watch you struggle!! :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Naughty, naughty, Damian! Your post is likely to inflame the anti-4x4 brigade again.Eddie's scenario is pretty much a one-off. Most 4x4 drivers would be only too pleased to show what their cars can do. Unless, of course, he didn't know how to use it, and it really was just for show!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Right I have on my tin hat and body armour.

Why has nobody made comment that Eddie visited a site just to have a look for the future.The owners were unavailable so he took it upon himself to enter the site not on foot but with car and van and then proceeded to go over the grass and having got bogged down left 5 inch deep ruts, but to make matters worse Eddie had a good laugh about it when he got home I bet the site owner wasn't laughing.

Sorry no desire to start WW3,just passing on my view.

Gone to look for an old Anderson shelter!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Personally Plotts I'm looking at it from the point of view that the person refused to help him once he got stuck. Did that person know that Eddie was only having a nosey around? I very much doubt it.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
If you ask someone a question then you have to accept the answer, which in this case was no. If this answer isnt acceptable then you shouldnt ask the question.

Plenty on here judging the person sitting by the caravan, but ,

How do you know it was his car?

He could have had a couple of glasses of wine

he might not be the driver , or may not even be a driver.

Before judging facts need to be known.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote from Del ...

"If you ask someone a question then you have to accept the answer, which in this case was no".

Most people, the vast majority, including those who have a little manners and decorum would give the reason why they couldn't help and then apologise.

Only the pig ignorant would say "no" and leave it at that.

The members of this forum can only read what Eddie posts and from that have no cause to call him a liar so we take what he posted as the truth.

You wouldn't have been the person he asked by any chance would you Del ;O)

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Nope wasnt me who was asked, aint been away for a month. Just re read the post and it says the chap said "sorry I cant" which seems polite. Personally in normal circustames I would help someone .

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Lisa, we all know that some mens vehicles are an extension of their doodah :O)

I really must take you to task over this comment though ... "there were three million leaves on the road".

You really must get a life Lisa if all you have to do of interest is to count leaves .... heh! heh!
LOL!

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Damian (moderator) wrote: Eddie REALLY!!!!!! asking a 4x4 owner to use his vehicle for what it was intended,,,,,you should stand in the corner and write out 100 times "A 4x4 is for show only"

Someone else having a pop at 4x4 drivers! Shame on you. I doubt if any 4x4 owner actually bought their vehicles with the sole intended purpose of using it as a breakdown wagon or just in case they were needed to help any Tom, Dick or Eddie out of trouble.

Personally, I would offer help and assistance, if it did'nt put me or my car in danger but the guy has a right to refuse to help. Not very neighbourly but there may have been a perfectly valid reason and after all it was his choice to say no just as it was Eddies choice in the first place to drive onto an unknown site, uninvited, just to take a look, and with a caravan in tow!

Bet you won't do it again Eddie!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you were stuck Eddie, if the guy with the 4x4 had helped there might not have been so much damage to the grass.

Personally I keep a towrope and bottle jack in a little compartment at the back of my 4x4 and would always try to help anyoe who was in trouble.

They'd have to hook the towrope on themselves if I'd got my bessie clothes on though or SWMBO would murder me,

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Here we go again, God what's wrong with people. Mention 4x4 and some take it as a personal attack on them no matter what context it's mentioned in. Big mistake of Eddie, he should have just said he asked a person with a more powerful towcar rather than tell it as it was.

Time to move the thread into Towcars methinks Your Moddyship and bury it before the thread, as usual once *x*s are mentioned, gets really nasty and toys start to get broken or the thread gets deleted.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We chose this lovely spot which after parking and moving the car away thought i am in trouble if it gets any wetter, so it did. Time came for us to move on and rather spoil the beautiful cut grass called on the farmer owner if he could pull the unit on to the road. No problem he said, comes up with his tractor and with this very thick rope pulls the caravan round which promptley sunk down to the chassis!. Tried again and this time ping the rope broke.To say i was dismayed at the state of the ground around the area would be an understatement. He said don't worry it will grow again, anyway he put a chain on the front until it met up with his towball and put it on the road, he then said would we like to hose it down . Lovely chap.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Gio, checks,he checks again.

Impossible,so he rechecks yet again....Nooooooooo way.

Gio agrees with LB..............

CONCLUSION... LB must be wrong...................................

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Once when we where on a site It got very boggy just where the field met the steep tarmac incline So with a Peugeot307 we attached rope to caravan then put car on tarmac and attached roped pulled off no probs :))

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Why has nobody made comment that Eddie visited a site just to have a look for the future.The owners were unavailable so he took it upon himself to enter the site not on foot but with car and van and then proceeded to go over the grass and having got bogged down left 5 inch deep ruts, but to make matters worse Eddie had a good laugh about it when he got home I bet the site owner wasn't laughing.

Agree plotter

now i better go join plotter looking for anderson shelter

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gio, checks,he checks again.

Impossible,so he rechecks yet again....Nooooooooo way.

Gio agrees with LB..............

CONCLUSION... LB must be wrong...................................
Quick Your Moddyship, ban gio, I can't have him agreeing with me :O(

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OH DEAR, what have I done??? a MOD, no less has the temerity to make a very light hearted comment about a certain class of driver, not an all encompassing critisism of ALL that class, just one, singular, individual, and the world collapses!!

Well, for some anyway.

I will flog myself repeatedly with my tow rope as I do not need it right now for what it is intended for.

TRENDING THREADS