What crisis🤔

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our shopping delivery from Tesco has just been delivered.
I had the letter from the NHS which tells me that I'm 'extremely vulnerable' and that I shouldn't go out, and I registered on the NHS website to show that I'd received the letter.
As far as the supermarkets are concerned it's made no difference, so I take my chances online with everyone else.
We had the same, but had to wait until the monday to start the order for a Friday delivery. Also registered with Sainsburys and iceland.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have no wish to break any rules but it is clear from what I have read in today’s newspaper and other caravan forums there are different rules for different groups. We caravanners are locked down, not allowed to travel to our numerous second homes around the country. Yet I read there is a contingent of persons with numerous second third homes who are leaving the metropolis for their country , infrequently visited , residence.
What a shame I am not allowed to self isolate in the Highlands of Scotland in the middle of nowhere. Just a shame but I hate double standards.
If this is out of order happy to delete.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi parksy, I am also on the list of vulnerable people as is my wife, regarding shopping online, I registered on the NHS site and as far as tesco is concerned if I log in and look for a slot in same manner as anyone else I would have to be lucky to find a free slot, there is though a priority button you have the option to press if tesco has you registered in their system, this priority button is only visible to you if tesco has had your details passed on to their list of entitled customers, it’s not perfect by any means but have another look for the priority slots button cos it’s easily missed, if it’s there you click it and your pretty much guaranteed available slots often at short notice, with ASDA their system if they’ve been notified your vulnerable allows you to book a recurring indefinite slot, this is the root I’ve used and now have a slot for every Saturday until such time I cancel it, if you don’t need anything you can skip a week. The online shopping situation is far from perfect but personally I think supermarkets are doing brilliantly given the circumstances.

BP

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi parksy, I am also on the list of vulnerable people as is my wife, regarding shopping online, I registered on the NHS site and as far as tesco is concerned if I log in and look for a slot in same manner as anyone else I would have to be lucky to find a free slot, there is though a priority button you have the option to press if tesco has you registered in their system, this priority button is only visible to you if tesco has had your details passed on to their list of entitled customers, it’s not perfect by any means but have another look for the priority slots button cos it’s easily missed, if it’s there you click it and your pretty much guaranteed available slots often at short notice, with ASDA their system if they’ve been notified your vulnerable allows you to book a recurring indefinite slot, this is the root I’ve used and now have a slot for every Saturday until such time I cancel it, if you don’t need anything you can skip a week. The online shopping situation is far from perfect but personally I think supermarkets are doing brilliantly given the circumstances.

BP

We are registered with Sainsbury’s as over 70s and just looking now I can see slots fir next Wednesday through to Saturday. You can only book a single slot at a time to prevent folks feeding their street.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on tesco and using the priority slot availability I was able to book for every day in next week apart from tomorrow, as I said earlier it’s not perfect but when it works it’s good.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My letter only came last week and although I can click on the priority delivery slots button the slots are all gone at Tesco for the next three weeks.
I'm not on Asda's or Sainsbury's list at all.
So far we're managing to get deliveries from Tesco but we have to shop 3 weeks in advance and try to jump in as soon as the next day's available delivery slots are released. They are released one day at a time, our supermarkets are always very busy here.
The shops are doing their best, but the information has been slow to reach them in many cases.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I discovered the flour shortage really is people baking. There is no shortage of flour, but a problem with the packing. The extra being bought has simply exceeded the capacity of the packing equipment and the suppliers are working flat out to deal with it.
What has happened is that the volume of bulk and packet supply has changed leaving the supply chain short for smaller packets. Their is a plan to get flour to the shops in larger bags using other equipment, but not sure when.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I discovered the flour shortage really is people baking. There is no shortage of flour, but a problem with the packing. The extra being bought has simply exceeded the capacity of the packing equipment and the suppliers are working flat out to deal with it.
What has happened is that the volume of bulk and packet supply has changed leaving the supply chain short for smaller packets. Their is a plan to get flour to the shops in larger bags using other equipment, but not sure when.
I’m quite pleased there’s a shortage as it delays our granddaughter baking even more cakes for us. What with the goodies from her and the carb heavy food drop from the church any thoughts of weight loss are rapidly disappearing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to my local butcher the price of wholesale chickens has risen considerably since the Lockdown started. She says it is the farmers increasing their basic price. They will probably blame the feed supplier and so on. I thought HMG had set up a department to stop profiteering during these difficult times.
Also with oil virtually being given away why isn’t the full price reductions being seen at the pumps?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our meat has risen in price too but the butchers suppliers and him too have lost a significant chunk of their market due to the hospitality industry virtually at a standstill. Same with our veg supplier. Both the butcher and veg supplier try To obtain supplies from local suppliers and those suppliers must be finding business is down and they cannot readily turn to supplying supermarkets. I will continue to support them. But ” eat local” isn’t necessarily conducive to a business surviving such times.

Our local petrol can be bought for 103.9 at three supermarkets with independents at around 106.9. Again I don’t begrudge the independents a margin as their fuel sales must be rock bottom and their grocery and goodies aren’t drawing many people in. As far as yesterday’s negative price of WTI it was caused by traders who had to honour their contracts to buy but had nowhere to store the oil before selling on. Nice that they caught a cold.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just spent ÂŁ69 on supplies from a local butcher. It arrived in a van saying it was from a cake supplier. Looks like they are delivering more food meat than ever and are using a van from a cake maker who has very little use for it at the moment so both win. Yes the meat prices have gone up a bit but we are we hope helping local businesses get through the current crisis. I know supermarkets are the easier choice, but we want to see the local shops there when this is all over and so will support them where we can.
Just getting a load of plants and gardening bits from a local nursery for the same reason.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts