what do you do?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks,

i`ve just been sitting here wondering what other caravanners do when they pass a fellow caravanner on the opposite side of the carriage way or whether they over take you on their journey?

strange question,but as one big happy family do you give them a wave,a flash of your lights or just a nod of the head (assuming they can see you)or just ignore them?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Call me a miserable git. I ignore them. If I wave they won't notice. If I flash it could be misinterpreted by someone else.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with Mike, (ok so I am a miserable git too!!)

Seriously, when I am driving, with van on back or not, my attention is on MY driving, I dont really care who else is on the road, as long as they dont cause me any problems, so dont wave, or flash lights.

When you think about it,Adults spend hours telling their kids not to make contact with total strangers, yet, adults seeing anything vaguely resembling a car like theirs, or a van on the back, be it the same make or not,have an irresistable urge to wave,,,,,why? you dont know the other person,your not likely to be best buddies withthem, even if you see them on the same site when you arrive, its more than likely you will ignore them, or they will ignore you.

If another driver flashes you, you probably start thinking something is wrong with your car or van, and spend the next hour or so until you get to a service station worrying what it may be, only to find its nothing, and you have stopped for no reason.

I will stop now,,lol.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Takes me back to when the AA or RAC used to wave if you were a member, also used to happen if you saw a car the same model as yours. That was in the days when you had different cars and makers your arm would fall off these days with so few different cars.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do that too Damian, I don't mind being flashed in by a trucker on a motorway, but anything else gets me wondering if I need to stop and check everything out. Then there's the passenger who keeps saying, "Did you see that nice house on the hill back there"? Or, "What was the make of that nice car that just passed us, 2 mins ago"?

Sorry wife/passenger/buddy I have limited concentration and I use it for driving. Multi-tasking is not a strong suit of mine!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to amend my previous posting....

I Do flash my lights, but only for HGV's when they pass me, as being an ex-HGV driver, I know how much they appreciate knowing when their rear end is clear to pull back in.

I also find that more truckers have started doing the same for vanners when being passed, which is brilliant of them to do.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
It would be nice if caravanners acknowledged each other on the roads, but I don't think it will ever happen. I think a lot of people now are too caught up in their own importance to actually acknowledge that they're the same as someone else. Maybe we should start it off by having some sort of tell tale so we can acknowledge other forum users.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Craig's right I'm afraid.

These days people are so full of themselves and the "dog eat dog" world, that they have forgotten polite manners.

I can recall about ten years ago when some neighbours objected to me parking my truck on my own drive. They invented accidents and even vandalised the vehicle.

I put a sign on the back saying "Polite notice, this vehicle is parked legally". Even a driving instructor thought it said "police". That shows how observant we are.

Motor cyclist's still nod to each other these days though.

Just try holding a door open for someone now though, they look at you like your going to mug them. Or even worse try going round town in a wheel chair. People then think your invisable.

What ever has happened to please, thankyou and can I help?

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Steve,

Good for you that your Laguna does 29.5mpg towing. As our Discovery has now been well worn in at over 80,000 miles on the clock, it does 25mpg towing. That's not alot of difference!

As our van comes in at 1896k, the Disco tows it at 85% safely!

and for the princely sum of an extra 4.5 mpg in comparison. Not worth talking about!

Did'nt I read on one of your posts you are towing a twin axle at 100%? - better you than me!!!

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I ride a motorcycle, and it gives a lovely sense of camaraderie to acknowledge fellow riders on the roads.

Most of us caravanners acknowledge each other when on site, so what's the difference on the road?

Re the safety aspects of waving, I bet lots of us have a good look at the other outfit, so where's the danger in an acknowledgement?

A wave would be a good thing.....

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Do you wave at people driving the same type of car as yourself?

I used to drive a batter old orange Allegro (no I wasn't embarrassed) not that many years ago and only got rid of it when some strange man in a brown Allegro started waving madly at me - SCARY!!! My hubby thought it was hilarious.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have to admit it would be courteous to wave (not flash headlights) but to divert your attention elsewhere would be foolhardy. Coming back from Cornwall the other Sunday I passed scores of caravans going the other way and to wave at them all would be a pain in the a**e.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit it would be courteous to wave (not flash headlights) but to divert your attention elsewhere would be foolhardy. Coming back from Cornwall the other Sunday I passed scores of caravans going the other way and to wave at them all would be a pain in the a**e.
Thats why you didnt wave back to me. IM "a pain in the a**e"

well thanks very much......LOL

Kevin H

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Its funny how ordinary caravaners, on balance, don't wish to acknowledge each other, when I find total amazement in the fact that ordinary drivers and their families always wave at us when they overtake. We always comment on the fact that so many of them are being realy economical and just waving with two fingers.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
I stop my waving back to anybody in the days when I was a motor cyclist.

I was passing a bus stop when a woman shouted and waved to me, I turned to see who it was, and possible wave back? only to find a great big double decker bus coming straight for me on the wrong side of the road. I can tell you it was close and I will never be distracted again for any body!

A lesson for everbody I would think?

Pop

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Rod. I have no desire to launch a personal attack and risk having another fun and potentially valuable thread deleted, but if the best comment you can make is that I should "get a life" then I respectfully suggest you keep your comments to yourself. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Rod. I have no desire to launch a personal attack and risk having another fun and potentially valuable thread deleted, but if the best comment you can make is that I should "get a life" then I respectfully suggest you keep your comments to yourself. Thanks.
It takes all sorts craig, just ignore it. Mostly insults are posted just to get a response.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I don't know about waving at other caravanners, but I often find myself wondering if the caravanner I am crossing paths with could be a familiar name from the Forum. Have I just passed Lord Braykewynde for example. Or was that Lutz, or Lol. Or Steve Sparkes.

We're all out there aren't we?

Perhaps we should put our Forum names in the back windows!!!

Spotting a name I recognise would certainly get a wave or a honk or a something out of me!! (And put me on my best driving behaviour..!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts