What is required for taking two yorkshire terriors abroad to Norway or any Countries in the EC

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Next Thursday my wife retires from 40 years of nursing with the NHS l, in the future we hope to travel abroad especially to Norway in the Ruchan where l have friend l worked with for some 20 years.
l have two questions what is required for the two dogs, l believe they require passports how much do they cost, any injections required and are their any restrictions. On no account would we be separated from them at any price not even for a 24 hours, so if their is any confinement of any kind we would not bother.
The second question has any one drove to Norway, l believe the theirs is no ferry direct to Norway anymore and you have to travel via Denmark via Sweden, is this route straight forward.
When l worked for AstraZeneca re ICI we used to send gas turbines back direct to Norway via Newcastle through Bergen, has this route now been cancelled can't find it on any of the ferry company routes.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Heethers, that's a lot of info in one post, but I think I can help with some of it.
Firstly, you would need to check with the Norwegian embassy for their ruling on dogs, but if they are EU members, then a standard Pet Passport will suffice.The dogs will ned to be "chipped"
To obtain passports, go to your regular vet, and he should be able to do all that is required.The cost for our two was around £200, and the Rabies injection has to be renewed every couple of years on a sliding scale.There really is no problem in all this; it's quite straightforward, but a little daunting for the first time.
HOWEVER, be aware that the Rabies vac must have been administered SIX months BEFORE THE DOGS RETURN TO BRITAIN, and not, as some believe, before they leave.Sorry for shouting, but this seems to be the block that people stumble over!
Put simply, if you want to go on holiday for two months from July, then the dogs need doing NOW, so that they can return in September.
To return to this country, the dog must be certified by a vet not more than 48hours, and not less than 24hours before departure from the "foreign" country.On arrival in UK, they will be checked for identity by Customs, in just the same way as the vet does, by passing a detector over the chip in the dogs neck, and that's it!
Basically what it all means is that you can take a dog out of the UK at any time, but without all the paperwork, you can't bring them back.
With regard to Norway, I can't help, but we are going to Sweden in May, driving up through Germany and Denmark, as the North Sea crossing is too long for the dogs, as my info is that they will not be allowed out of the car, and the trip is 18 hours. It also costs over £700, and that will buy an awful lot of LPG to allow me to drive all the way.
The only ferry will be a 50minute crossing from Puttgarden in Germany, to Robyhaven in Denmark.Should you decide to drive, I can recommend Camping le Chaumier, near St. Omer, where the site owner's wife works in the local vet, and can handle all the paperwork for the dogs return, and give you a 10% discount on the approx 35 euro per dog fee.
That's about all I can help you with, but I'm sure if I've missed anything, someone else will be along to correct it!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thankyou Emerson for your detailed reply, we are not thinking of this year but next, we may even meet my Norwegion freind in Denmark has it seems the more economical way for both parties. Both dogs are already chipped so a visit to the vets to get all the info will be the next port of call later this year, once again thankyou for your reply.
Nigelh

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rabies jab lasts three years for UK entry, but some countries require it more frequently ie Switzerland is annual. Also don't forget that once the dogs have had the rabies jab the vet then has to wait a while and then take a blood samplle to be sent away for antibody count. If the count is too low it requires the vaccine to be re-administered and another wait fora blood test and ant-body count. Until the anti-body count is okay no passport can be issued but it will be pre-dated back to the vaccination date that led to the okay blood sample test. Don't commit until you have the blood sample results back. one of our dogs failed her first blood sample but flew through the second, but we had to delay our planned holiday.It is nnnot an infrequent occurence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts