What is the future of the C & C Club

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Out of politeness for those on another thread I felt I should ask the question of what type of site/ club is right for the future..

Judging by previous comments over the last year on the state of C & CC club I think that it's gone after a policy of trying to emulate the Caravan Club i.e. more uniforms more rules and more investment in facilities and therefore a rise in cost.

I for one don't think it's the right strategy (based on a business strategy - not as a customer) If you look at the on the membership profile more tents and probably a different demographic it's probably a financial disaster in the making.

As a family we are members of the Caravan Club which I feel offers us a better balance of style of site, facilities, and dare I say it your neighbours are different. I say this as friends of ours who camp have noticed a massive increase in tents this is probably linked to the 4 sleeping bags and a tent for £100 in Argos.

Camping has become accessible, the problem is it accessible to people who want to start every sentence with F**K, drink Alco pops like tea and who will quite happily *** round the side of you van to use it as a screen to urinate.

I think that the founding fathers of the C & CC would be quite aghast at this, as PaulA states this isn't what the true membership wants either

Regards Monkeys Husband

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
To be honest I find your comments a bit strange,are you saying there is a bit of snob value in owning a caravan and if you have a tent you are some sort of lower life form!!!! I think you will find good and bad in who ever you meet whether under canvas or in a caravan, you are probably one of those people who dosen't like the sound of children having a good time on a site or have a turkey at christmas because of bird flu!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
My wife has just wrote to the C.&C.C. cancelling our membership. My apologies to the nice wardens but overall I don't find them anywhere near as friendly as the C.C. I don't like the idea where you are allocated a pitch and have to follow the warden on his bike while he watches to make sure you pitch correctly. The facilities like the waste water emptying point leaves a lot to be desired especially as its the same drainage area you fill your aqua roll from (I can't understand how this passes Health & Safety). The straw that broke the camels back though was on our way to Winchcombe my indicators failed. I couldnt fix them so decided to carry on to the site arriving at 11.40am. I explained the reason why but still had to pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it's future is very healthy judging by the numbers using them.I am a member of both clubs and on the whole find their facilities and services compare with each other, some a bit better some a bit worse.

I have stayed on two C & CC sites this year , Salisbury and Blackmore. Both were very busy but both sets of 'Holiday Site Managers' were pleasant and helpful as were the wardens of the CC sites I have used.

I don't recall seeing any tenters misbehaving in any way and I do not see what the type of unit has got to do with the behaviour of the campers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi, yes this is a crazy rule and i beleve a lot of members feel the same it's just big buisness now.i did understand that the wardens had some discretion on the charge. and if there are plenty of empty pitch's what difference does it make if you are 1/2 hour early all the best and enjoy your cravanning peter p.s i wonder if anyone with some clout in the c&cc look at this site it's not the first time the subject has come up!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also cancelled our membership for the C.C.C. last month.

Had only been members for 1 year but have been members of the

C.C. for many years.

We only used C.C.C. sites twice in that time and believe they are trying hard to reach the high standards of the C.C.but not quite there yet.

As has been said the warden went ahead on his bike and said he would give us a hand to unhitch and push the van back into the pitch.

He seemed amazed when I said that I would just reverse the van into the pitch and got it spot on first time (ok so I was a bit amazed myself).

The so called hardstanding was a mud bath and the van sank a good 2-3 inches.

One toilet block was closed and it was a 3 day camel ride to the other.(slight exageration it was only 2 days).

The site was in Luss on Loch lomond side,we had to wear our wellies down to the village pub due to the mud.

The site was pitch black on our return the only light being on the toilet block which I have said was a good distance from our pitch and the road had 6inch deep holes all over it.

Yes we had forgot the torch.

We have been there and done that when we were younger but look for better now.

Mind you the location is second to none...

G

As a member of both organisations I find some of the comments a bit strange. There are both good and bad wardens in both organisations, and I am sure a lot of the bad is usually due to having had a 'bad' day with lots of complaining campers/caravanners. I have every sympathy for wardens, even if I don't always agree with them. Yes, the C&CC will direct you to a pitch, but if you really don't like it you can ask for another choice, if there is one available. On the other hand the CC lets you wander around until you find your own pitch. This is great if the site is empty, a little more irritating if the site is full and you are trying to find one of the last few spaces.

My own particular gripe involves both organisations where they 'welcome non members' especially if I am trying to get a pitch for the weekend.

I do agree regarding the positive comments about 'tenters'. I have found them to be usually more pleasant than some caravanners, and certainly more friendly. The downside is the shower queues can bit a bit longer as tenters obviously don't have en suite facilities, but the chat can be good fun.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As a member of both organisations I find some of the comments a bit strange. There are both good and bad wardens in both organisations, and I am sure a lot of the bad is usually due to having had a 'bad' day with lots of complaining campers/caravanners. I have every sympathy for wardens, even if I don't always agree with them. Yes, the C&CC will direct you to a pitch, but if you really don't like it you can ask for another choice, if there is one available. On the other hand the CC lets you wander around until you find your own pitch. This is great if the site is empty, a little more irritating if the site is full and you are trying to find one of the last few spaces.

My own particular gripe involves both organisations where they 'welcome non members' especially if I am trying to get a pitch for the weekend.

I do agree regarding the positive comments about 'tenters'. I have found them to be usually more pleasant than some caravanners, and certainly more friendly. The downside is the shower queues can bit a bit longer as tenters obviously don't have en suite facilities, but the chat can be good fun.
Depends on who you are showering with heheheh!

G

Depends on who you are showering with heheheh!
Agreed. In some countries unisex facilties can be ve..ry interesting. In others, just don't drop the soap.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We was at Luss in June and it was the same then. Rhandirmyn near Llandovery is even worse for potholes, they were more like small ponds. Like Luss, a lovely setting but they certainly need money spending on them. Wasn't the friendlest of wardens though, gave us a ticking off because only my wife and not me had our concessionary cards. The following day both hubby and wife wardens were laying into some tenters, fingers a waggin' for at least 10 minutes. The tenters didn't seem to be arguing back though. All good entertainment when it's piddlin' down with rain outside.

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
I have been in the C & CC since February-the main reasons for joining was the discount on the caravan insurance and the Big Sites Book. I am disappointed with the costs of the pitches compared to independant camp sites - with four people in the family it soon adds up. We have only used a C&C C site once (Blackmore) which was in half term just gone,classed as out of season and therefore a better deal price wise.I agree that there are good and not so good wardens.For example, when we arrived I parked the car and 'van next to the office only to be gently reminded that I had parked on the wrong side of the road (which was actually one way!) However the warden that showed us to our pitch (yes,on his bike but it was a fair distance)was more than helpful, gave us a choice of pitch and guided us in.The toilet facilities at Blackmore are excellent (although the one block was shut all week)as is the indoor games room and it is a very nice site.

As for the rules I think there looks like there are too many, I might get around to reading them all one day...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have found that the C&CC have had a more relaxed attitude than the CC. this has its advantages as well as disadvantages, and you can wager that some of the more selfish amongst us will bend the rules as much as possible.

In 80's I found the CC was run on a semi-regimented style with the wardens I think from a forces background who stuck rigidly to the rules. I liked this type of management for you knew what to expect when you arrived, during your stay and upon leaving. I can relate quite a few tales some good and some not so good depending on your outlook on life. but having been a member for many years and only stay at the best sites in the UK and possibly Europe. - IMHO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have found that the C&CC have had a more relaxed attitude than the CC. this has its advantages as well as disadvantages, and you can wager that some of the more selfish amongst us will bend the rules as much as possible.

In 80's I found the CC was run on a semi-regimented style with the wardens I think from a forces background who stuck rigidly to the rules. I liked this type of management for you knew what to expect when you arrived, during your stay and upon leaving. I can relate quite a few tales some good and some not so good depending on your outlook on life. but having been a member for many years and only stay at the best sites in the UK and possibly Europe. - IMHO
and the best sites are at the CC.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We are also members of both clubs. We really have not come across any 'Jobs Worth' wardens on any of the club sites we have used this year.

One incident I can vividly recall, we were staying on the CC site at Dunnet Bay - Scotland a few years ago. At that time we had a very old dog with us, who really wasn't that great on his legs. We committed a cardinal sin by allowing - not intentionally -our dog to pee up one of the pegs. The warden unfortunately saw it and went berserk. I really thought we were going to get chucked off. We managed to calm the situation by throwing a bowl of hot soapy water over it. He later admitted that he was a little over the top, a little - complete madness IMO!

We will still continue to use both clubs - IMO you take the rough with the smooth.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
I too was amember of both clubs but have given my membership of the caravan & camping club up I find its not the friendly club no more and as for this charge if you arrive early is not on also a charge of

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Monkey for starting this thread, as I mentioned in the shower post it is a sore point with me. I have MS although I worked for a further 10 years the illness progressed to the point were I could not work hence I can not afford to pay the site fees on C&CC and C&C sites ( even though they have spent lots of money on the disabled facilities)

Living in the caravan is in fact easier than at home no stairs etc, my wife does the heavy lifting and I have adapted things to make my life easier ( i still have to empty the Elsan one thing she does not like doing)

The thing that worries me is there are fewer THS each year and CLs are being encouraged to provide facilities by the clubs so that they then can charge bigger fees, if this continues I will have to give up the caravan not because of my illness but because I can not afford the site fees.

Why do the clubs have to compete with commercial sites, I have been a member for over 20yrs and over that time seen them change from clubs run for the members to clubs run by empire builders. The clubs are now very rich I believe that this money should be used to create new minimum facility sites so we can get back to basics of touring around the country at our will and enjoy the freedoms the founders set these clubs up to achieve, if you want all the fancy facilities go to the commercial sites.

MORE SITES NOT FACILITIES

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We on the other hand would like to see more Cls with EHU. After all if you spend 10 grand on a caravan you want to use the electric conenctions, but I see Paula's point. Perhaps there should be concessions for people who are retired or have disabilities.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We on the other hand would like to see more Cls with EHU. After all if you spend 10 grand on a caravan you want to use the electric conenctions, but I see Paula's point. Perhaps there should be concessions for people who are retired or have disabilities.
You do have the advantage of the 55 and over concessionary rate with the C&CC. You don't get anything with the CC.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am a member of both clubs and have found bad but certainly more good in both clubs. I tend to use about 70% CC sites compared to 30% C&CC sites but this is more on location of sites than any other reason.

However what does concern me about both clubs is where they are really going - They are getting bigger and bigger with membership increasing to vast numbers. Ratio of members to sites available must be getting a concern, you certainly need to book up in advance. The people in charge seem very remote from the people who use the sites etc.

I think they need to take stock of the current position and to plan for the members needs rather than tell us what we want !

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I'll have to wait till I'm 55 and hope site fees don't rise in the mean time that's if there's enough pitches left for you to tour, with out booking weeks in advance.

I also want to thank the volunteer THS stewards who willingly give up their time and effort for the benefit of members; they are the unsung hero's of my caravanning

May 25, 2005
Visit site
This year we returned to touring and rejoined both the CC and the CC&C after 5 years out. Unfortunately, having only stayed on 3 C&CClub sites I found it necessary to write club headquarters and complain about 2 of them! No I am not picky, but paying the high fees I do at least expect some cleanliness and, dare I say it, well-behaved assistant wardens! On the two sites we stayed we found that the facilities were in a disgusting state, particularly the washing up areas! Caravans, tents, etc., were parked too close together, ignoring club rules (which some assistant wardens didn't seem to have a grasp of). I hate the "You pitch there" attitude, especially when the site is almote empty!

I am still deciding whether to withdraw my subscription at the end of the year. The only problem is that my son and his family are members - and they could not get on one site with us as the warden claimed, following a telephone conversation, that they had no room for their tent! The site was half full!

I must admit I do prefer the CC and cannot fault the attitude of the wardens when arriving. They are always kept immaculate and it is rare to see wardens sitting around doing nothing, as appears to happen in the OTHER club!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ive been in the CC for 16 years and although they are not perfect I have always found the wardens to be friendly and helpfull .Their Insurance is good and if you ever have to telephone them at East Grinstead they are on the ball. The toilet blocks are always clean and to the best standard.I have heard a lot of complaints about the C&CC in particular the attitude of the site managers ,and the

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
i have been a member of the c&cc for about 27 years and it has definately got more regimented in recent years,the big + points about the sites is the cleanliness,and to be fair to the wardens,sorry holiday site managers,most seem polite and helpful.the only club site "of old" is trewan hall were it is very laid back,the way the club used to be.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
May I just put in a small word in defence of the C&CC? Not a popular stance on this forum, it would seem, but nevertheless my own sincerely held view.

As far as cleanliness of facilities, politeness of other users of sites, size of pitches etc, we have never found the slightest difference between the clubs. We do not agree with the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts