What service !

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our new secondhand burstner on saturday, from what is a reputable caravan dealer in leicester.

I asked all the questions,but on arriving home and trying out

everything i was unable to use the gas, as there was no pipe

from the regulator to the gas bottle!!!!!!!

Went back yesterday to get a pipe and adaptor, was charged for

the adaptor! is this normal sevice from a dealer, where you have

spent over 8k at.

Also when we viewed the caravan 3 weeks ago one of the brackets

on the bathroom door was faulty, i pionted this out, yet it

is still faulty! their only remark was to book it in!

Is this normal caravan service?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Does'nt sound like service at all....They should give you a demonstration to show you how everything worked before you left their premises.

When we collected our new van the dealer asked us to be available for about an hour so they could help us familiarise ourselves with the van and they showed us everything, including putting water in the onboard tank, hooking the van up to the mains electricity and checking the gas appliances.

Regarding the gas regulator and pipe, I would think most dealers would include one out of good will but they would need to know what gas you use to supply the correct one.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately it seems the norm Gio. We were also under the impression, like cars, you could go to any dealer to rectify any faults which was a costly mistake because if anything needed rectifying we had to do a 104 mile round trip. When we traded ours in for a new Abbey GTS Vogue we had already booked a week away in Cornwall 2 weeks later so decided to book the next weekend locally to get used to the caravan. On setting up for the first time I flicked on the pump switch when my wife said she could hear running water, it was the shower tap, it was gushing out everywhere. Because we were local we popped home to phone the dealers explaining I couldnt get the caravan back to them that week before we went to Cornwall. They told me to disconnect the pipe and blank it off so I grabbed some tools and set off back to the site. At least we still had water. After blanking off the pipe it was now getting late and my wife went to turn on the oven, no ignition. We had no matches either so had to then go off to the nearest shop 4 miles away to buy matches. On arrival home I phoned the dealers again and in fairness a gas fitter from the oven makers came to our house within a few days. After mooching about for 30 mins he said he was hoping to fix it without having to get the oven out but couldn't. After removing the oven he showed me the problem, the electrics hadn't been connected. So on reflection when was the P.D.I. done? Is it the responsibility of the manufacturer or the dealer? In my case it was obvious that there was no P.D.I. because if there was the faults would have been too obvious. There were a number of smaller faults too like the clock not working and the botched blind runners. We are always finding screws having no idea where they have come from. It's about time the Office of Fair Trading got the caravan industry to sort itself out and started to regulate them. This week in the news the O.F.T. has made Inkjet cartridge manufacturers stipulate on how many pages each cartridge will print while we are being ripped off after spending thousands of pounds.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
When you buy a car you can get the RAC to look at it & check all is well.

When you buy a boat, you can get a marine surveyor to examine it.

In both cases, this is often done even with a new item, and final payment should be withheld until any faults are corrected.

Given that there seem to be a number of mobile caravan mechanics round the country, could not one of them be employed to report on any faults?

I dare say the dealer would not like it, but what valid objection could they have?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
With regards to mobile caravan mechanics the one I use now is accredited to do warranty work. The downside is you will have to pay for their travelling expences to your home because the manufacturers wont reimburse them for that. I now use this mechanic to do my servicing which he's also accredited to do when the caravan is still under warranty and at the same time any warranty work saving me call out charges. I no longer have to lug my caravan to the nearest dealer and I also save myself

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I feel I can redress the balance here slightly. In brief, when we picked up our Bailey caravan from our local dealer the salesman spent an hour going through all the essential parts. He dmonstrated heater, cooker, fridge and how the toilet would work! nothing was too much trouble. He even gave us a 20% discount on the accessories we bought. To top it off, we were so excited that we drove off without the keys. He overtook us and flagged us down 20 miles later to hand them over. Terrific service. The only downside to this dealership is the servicing cost. We are currently looking at alternatives. Best wishes, George T.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
same here salesman had van on electric shoed us everything asked us before what cylinders we had so hoses were sorted,one door was marked and got it within a week.Also had no other problems so far and in for first service in May

Thanks Kevin at Three Counties

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Hymer Nova brought new from Lowdhams in Notts last year. The whole process went without a hitch from start to finish.

The handover was around one and a half hours and everything about the van was covered in great detail.

The van is absolutely brilliant and we are well pleased with the solid build quality.

I presume Madeline would not agree with my comments but I can only speak how I find.

We changed from a Avondale Golden Mayfair and this van was a nightmare from the beginning, floor delaminated,2 new worktops,new shower tray, new oven door assembly,3 new water pumps,bathroom had to be resealed and front windows leaked and the window blinds had to be refixed.

Would never go back to a British van again!!

Regards

Nidge

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
I have bought 9 consecutive new caravans from Golden Castle Caravans over a long period of time. On each occassion they went through a handover procedure lasting at least an hour. They set up the caravan as if on site. They go through the water system showing you how to use the pump, inboard tank, water heater and heat up the water both on mains and gas to prove everthing works. They do the same for the cooker, fire and all the switches.We have just purchased a new Swift Conquerer and they gave us a demonstration on how to fit and remove the new Alko wheel lock. If you have a trade in they swop over the battery and gas bottles for you before the handover procedure.

I cannot understand why people do not insist on a full handover procedure. If a dealer wont do it go to a dealer who will.

Hamer

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

May I say, some good comments.

The initial hand over of our Hymer at Lowdham was also great, but we are still waiting to be contacted by the sales manager (see prev posting)nearly a week after contacting them, and a promise of a call "if not Monday Tuesday at the latest".

Tried ringing but theres never any one at the ex given!!

Water problems are I think one of the most worring things, they could at least ease our minds.

We loved the van and wish we were as satified as you are Nidge, prehaps were just unlucky on this one.

Regards Madeleine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have bought new from both Sunnyhaven in Gorseinon and Barry Caravan Centre and on both ocassions the hand over attention was excellent. I came away from both retailers fully conversant with the nitty gritty information of the caravan - Bailey and Ace. Could recommend either firm.

Although Blazers in Swansea and Sunnyhaven are the same company I have found that Sunnyhaven is far more friendly, offer a better trade in allowance and also better after sales.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

May I say, some good comments.

The initial hand over of our Hymer at Lowdham was also great, but we are still waiting to be contacted by the sales manager (see prev posting)nearly a week after contacting them, and a promise of a call "if not Monday Tuesday at the latest".

Tried ringing but theres never any one at the ex given!!

Water problems are I think one of the most worring things, they could at least ease our minds.

We loved the van and wish we were as satified as you are Nidge, prehaps were just unlucky on this one.

Regards Madeleine
Hi Madeleine,

Sorry to hear of you problems with your Hymer and Lowdham's.

Must admit we had a problem with the jockey wheel after our first outing and I phoned the service dept and was told that I would have to book it in. I was not happy with having to wait as the van was difficult to move on the drive with a faulty jockey wheel and asked for the managing director, as you, I had just spent

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
I have bought new from both Sunnyhaven in Gorseinon and Barry Caravan Centre and on both ocassions the hand over attention was excellent. I came away from both retailers fully conversant with the nitty gritty information of the caravan - Bailey and Ace. Could recommend either firm.

Although Blazers in Swansea and Sunnyhaven are the same company I have found that Sunnyhaven is far more friendly, offer a better trade in allowance and also better after sales.
We bought our Bailey Ranger from Barrons, they spent and hour showing us everything and the few problems we have had in the intervening 2 years have been sorted out with the minimum of fuss. Can't fault em.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
We bought our Bailey Ranger from Barrons, they spent and hour showing us everything and the few problems we have had in the intervening 2 years have been sorted out with the minimum of fuss. Can't fault em.

Feb 2, 2006
Visit site
Called at Lowdhams Huddersfield today to pick up van (Bailey Senator) after 1st service. Despite notifying them of warranty items that needed attention many months ago was told "sorry we have to order parts, which will be 6 weeks". This was despite the fact that when booking it in last Saturday I was told "We have everything in stock, all items will be sorted".

I refused to pay for service to be told I could not take van and to leave van there until completed would be

G

WE have a HYMER NOVA 465 which we bought new last March after numerous problems with buying a number of new British vans. Most of which suffered with problems with water ingress or other structural or component issues. That was the reason we paid out

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mike

Our Hymer is the 545 fixed bed and the damp has shown as a line of damp in the toilet and inthe right hand locker above the bed.

Lowdhams have re sealed the whole of the front seal but its still leaking so now its back there to be repaired. Were not getting any real answeres as to why theres this problem.

My husband feels there may be a chassis problem as when we first went out in the van if we leveled it correctly we couldnt align the door and also when he takes the jacks up (as recommended) the van seems to lurch down. All this is due to be investigated but Im not holding out much hope and I think we will swop to a new Abbey, more lost money!

Regards Madeleine

G

Hi Mike

Our Hymer is the 545 fixed bed and the damp has shown as a line of damp in the toilet and inthe right hand locker above the bed.

Lowdhams have re sealed the whole of the front seal but its still leaking so now its back there to be repaired. Were not getting any real answeres as to why theres this problem.

My husband feels there may be a chassis problem as when we first went out in the van if we leveled it correctly we couldnt align the door and also when he takes the jacks up (as recommended) the van seems to lurch down. All this is due to be investigated but Im not holding out much hope and I think we will swop to a new Abbey, more lost money!

Regards Madeleine
Thanks Madeliene for the reply.

The water ingress into our van should not be happening on a unit less than one year old from a manuafacturer of high repute.

One of our issues is the fridge door won't lock unless you hold up the lower right hand corner.The lower cupboard to the left of the cooker has a similar issue. Could it be the floor distorting. I had a Powrtouch 3 model mover fitted just after purchase and I had to have chassis heavy duty strenghtening plates fitted as I was told the chassis was not strong enough to support the mover as it was of a thinner construction. The recomendation came from Powrtouch who had been in contact with Hymer reference fitting their movers to these caravans. We love our van but want it back totaly fixed so that we enjoy it. Another issue under investigation is the top of the tyre is very close to the upper wheel arch curve. The van gives the appearance it may have lowered itself on it's axle. We have never taken ours above 1500 kgs all up weight. It's max is 1600 kgs. It may be an optical illusion. However when measured against new and older Hymer models on display at our dealer, they all measure approx 23" from ground to under side of wheel arch unit.Ours measures 23" too.

Ever hopefull!!

Mike

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It would appear from other replies that this is the norm for a number of caravan dealers.

We bought a new Swift Charisma in September 2006 from a well known main dealer in Cheshire. It was acknowledged that there was a knife like cut (stanley knife) in the main seat cushion and we received in writing assurances that this would be replaced. I was informed that eight weeks would surpass before the cushion would arrive.

Suffice to say that eight weeks passed without a word from the dealer.

Numerous chase-ups later and with two wrong cushions returned to the dealer, I contacted Consumer Direct for advice (National Trading Standards service). Their service and advice is superb and the lady I spoke to on the phone could not have been any more helpful. They have sample letters on their website for use for resolving complaints.

A recorded delivery letter was sound on it's way to the dealers with a fourteen day deadline to resolve the issue. This worked a treat and the new cushion miraculously arrived ten days later. If only I had followed this route three months earlier.

We are now looking forward to the Easter break with our new van and cushion.

Best of luck in chasing up your dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts