What Would You Do In My Situation ??????????

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
This is going to sound like a stupid question and more fool me for asking it, but wanted to know what your views were on my storage dilema.

On the one hand we have found a caravan dealership that has a very secure storage compound and they seemed very clued up with their security. Two large double metal gates before you are even in their sales area. Lots of luxury cavarans and motorhomes, which I am thinking why would they steal my caravan when they could have one of theirs worth alot more .... terrible to think like that but true!!!

You then have to go through a security barrier, that once through you cannot get out unless with a key fob card and access pin which the number changes daily. Your caravan is then stored in a compund with a large padlocked gate with cctv and motion sensors. What more does she want I hear you all say ;-)

Well the storage site is 12 miles away from home, and is a nightmare journey to get too. When my Husband finishes work on a Friday it is going to be time consuming driving over to pick it up etc ..

Now, the dilema!!!

I have ben offered a space to store our caravan on our friends farm. My parents have had their caravan up there for the past 18 months with no problem. It is not very secure, a small gated compound with only a padlocked gate. However, you do have to drive past their house to get to the compound and 9 times out of 10 they are always home and have guard dogs. They are offering it to us at a really good price and it is only 2 minutes up the road from home.

What would you do???

My heart is telling me the secure storage compound, as we have invested alot of money and it is going to be a big lifestyle change for us and the kids and I couldn't ever bear the thought "god forbid" of having to tell them that the caravan had been stolen. Or my practical head, is saying that it will be easier up the road to get access to the caravan, I can just *** up there when I need to. Plus it is going to take about an hour and a half of our journey time every time we go away.

Help!! What do I do??????????

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Firstly look at what your insurance company specify,some what secure storage and a locked main gate.

You could always pick the van up a day earlier,or is this not possible?

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mikey

Thank you for your reply.

We live on a new housing development and it will be virtually impossible to bring it home without someone moaning.

I don't think it will affect our insurance as all it is stating is that we have the secure wheel and hitch lock.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
where do you have the van storage location recorded with your Insurance co?? if you have given a specfic location & it is stolen

from another location(other than when it is being used) no matter what securiity devices you use the chances are they will not pay out

one example was posted where they had temporarily stored it on their friends land when it was taken result no payout

double check with your ins co.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
We keep our van on farm,the only people who will insure us are the CC or NFU all the other specify you must have secure locked access gates.

Who are or who will you be insured with?

If your parents van has been ok and you put extra security on the van (a couple of wheel clamps)i would think you would be ok?

Putting your van into the other place you might find its too much trouble some weekends and you will not bother using your van?

As for stealing cans ,they steal whatever they can or the easiet not always the most expensive.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Mikey

We are going with the CC for our insurance, so I guess that we would be okay. I was thinking of getting an additional wheel clamp, we have just purchased the full stop nemesis and I could get another one to go on the other wheel.

All I worry is are we going to pay for being lazy and not putting it where it is going to be extra secure as opposed to more convenient close by.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I've stored mine on a friends land for several years. Its insured with the CC & like you say as long as its got a hitch lock or wheel clamp thats all they require.

I have clamps on both wheels as well as the hitch. There are newer less well protected vans on the same land so I feel quite comfortable mine will be ok.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Glenn

I have just been over to the farm this morning and you have just taken the words out of my mouth. I cannot believe how some people really aren't bothered about security. There is a twin axle lunar over there, I reckon it must be worth

G

You may think this is not the answer but what about using a CL close to home for the night before you set off? For the fee you could have the van under supervison and have time to load and unload it at leisure. You correctly are worried about the safety of your valuable asset, and to my mind the small fee involved would be worth it.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

The problem that we have is that all our weekends away will mean my Husband has to either take a half day off work or we leave on a Friday night when he gets home. My Husband works away from home alot, so the chances are the day before we leave he will be working away. I thought I had my mind made up this morning, but have spent all afternoon looking at security devices to fit on the van and am now in two minds again. What started out as something really excited "our new venture" is now turning into a really worrying situation.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Sam,

When I was in your situation I contacted the police officer who dealt with caravan matters to ask his opinion of the farm site I had in mind. His reply was that he had never heard of said site - which meant there had never been any problems. 'Nuff said. So maybe contact the police for peace of mind. Whilst you are at it think about anti-mice measures being on a farm. Invest in some moth balls.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
P.S. I moved from that farm when the new owner tried to nearly triple the rent - and reprospectivly too ! The new site is Cassoa Gold AND nearer too.

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Sam

My wife an I had the same dilema last year being new to this. Don't let all of these worries put you off. Firstly peole told me its cheaper to have a van than take cottage holidays etc. Its easy, there's never any problems bla bla bla. Its all untrue. Its been more expensive its not always easy and we've encoutered problems. So are we giving up ? No way. We get away once every 6 weeks have brilliant breaks come rain or shine. Don't let the worry of storage put you off. We went with the cc and were honest about the location and security measures. We also opted for a farm but the location is not publicised or sign posted, its reletively cheap and has locked gates and cant be seen from any approach roads. We have opted for a wheel clamp and hitch lock with an onboard alarm. The security devises cost me nothing and were negotiated into the deal after the purchase price had been agreed.

I also work away from home and the farm is a 25 min trip from home. It is a pain if you plan to travel on a Friday but only this end of the year as it means pithching in the dark but we've got this down to a 30min chore. I find we appreciate the glass of wine more when sit down for the night. For your first adventures keep closer too home especially if your planning short weekends. It'll be less of problem in summer.

If its peace of mind over insurance you want, opt for the secure storage and plan your trips a little ahead. Our van is kitted out ready to roll so that helps. What ever you decide use it as often as you can and enjoy. I tend to think of theft this way. When you look at statistics you're no more likely to lose your caravan than any other of your posessions.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Ian

You sold me on the glass of wine;-)

I am just getting the feel of it now, glass of wine in one hand a good book in the other. The sun setting about 9pm, and the kids playing happily with their new found friends. Oh, nearly forgot the smell of the barbie ...... lol!!

Anyway, back to reality with a very large bump .. ouch!!!

We have definitely decided to keep it at the farm for practical reasons. It isn't advertised as a storage area for caravans and is bearly visible from the road. We are just going to make sure that we make the van a bit more secure. We are going to buy 2 Nemesis Wheel Clamps, Saracen Hitchlock, 2 torpedo corner steadies and then fit it with a PIR alarm. If at the end of the day the buggers still want to get into it, then I know we have done all we can.

My Dad is thinking about printing a card to go in his window stating that he has a tracker fitted. Just as a detterent, even though he hasn't. I am sure on here I have read that this is not a good idea as they will trash your van looking for it. Mind you, is it worth the risk if it makes them think twice???

Thank you to everyone who has contibuted to all the advice.

You must all think I am a paranoid *7^%* :-o

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts