What's the best way to pay on the tolls?

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we just pay in cash madame deals with it usually and notes cost soon gets used to it.I am told cards are just as easy with no need for PIN but we have not personally used used them

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Rob

I have travelled on the toll roads to the south of france a few times and I always use cash, but I think its up to you if you use cash or card they are both straight forward to use. But Im always cautious because you dont know what exchange rate they might use

I hope this helps

Phil

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The queues at the cash booths are often much longer than those at the card booths. The problem is that if you're towing there's a height barrier at 1.9 metres on the card lanes, which is too low for a caravan - so if you're towing you're stuck to the cash booths.

Beware, though, there are now some smaller exit slip roads which have no option but to pay by card - so make sure you have something - credit, or debit card, just in case.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
We have always used cards and find no problem with height and never takes long at all. The exchange rate when using cards is always a lot better than when you buy cash even after the charge on the card for foreign use.

Lee.C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If using cards, be aware that they only accept CREDIT cards, not debit.It's very quick and simple though. Put in the ticket, put in your credit card, retreive the card, drive on. Dead simple.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
We have always used cards and find no problem with height and never takes long at all. The exchange rate when using cards is always a lot better than when you buy cash even after the charge on the card for foreign use.

Lee.C
We are going from Cherbourg good roads no tolls.

Nationwide cards no commision :eek:)

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, but they definitely accept debit cards too. We've used ours in May this year, a couple of times, without a problem. Generally at the unmanned (previously mentioned) card-only exits, but they are definitely accepted.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm with Val on this one, after reading some of her excellent posts last year about holidaying in France, I opened a current account with Nationwide and had no problems using the debit card at toll booths.

Slightly off topic, but I also found using the card at supermarkets and restuarants very easy and convenient, with no charges to use it like some other banks.

Thanks Val!!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, Lara, to you too! I love contributing to these forums, and it's so nice to see that people actually benefit from some of my postings!

G

The newer tolls have more modern machines that take UK debit cards.

On older sections with older machines they've just not been upgraded yet.

We have Teletoll Liber-T Tag gizmo's but can't use them when towing.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

I would definitely stick to cards. We haven't used cash for years, whether towing or not, and they all accept cards in France.

Apart from the convenience, the exchange rate is so much better than cash exchanged into euros in England. We are in Europe now and have been getting 1.15 -1.17 euros to the pound. Compare that to the exchange bureaux back home which I guess are still doing about 1.08.

Keith

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, Lara, to you too! I love contributing to these forums, and it's so nice to see that people actually benefit from some of my postings!
I certainly do Val. I'll be using your suggested route in a couple of weeks time and will be taking my newly aquired Nationwide debit card!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
We always use our card, only use cash when we have to. No problems getting through, the card machine are really fast, always get a receipt so we can check when were home.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

I would definitely stick to cards. We haven't used cash for years, whether towing or not, and they all accept cards in France.

Apart from the convenience, the exchange rate is so much better than cash exchanged into euros in England. We are in Europe now and have been getting 1.15 -1.17 euros to the pound. Compare that to the exchange bureaux back home which I guess are still doing about 1.08.

Keith
1.15 at Tescos yesterday :)

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I personally only use cash, For the sake of a few minutes at the most in a queue for a attended booth i think its a small price to pay. In trucks we can see whats going on with the card but in a car its out of view and it dont take long to do what ever they do, Same goes for the ELF fuel stop in Calais by the beer warehouses a colleague of mine got done there big time.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
FlyBe are offering 1.1570 at the moment. The rate is certainly up over the last few days. When most travel money outlets were offering 1.09 we were getting 1.14 in France with our Nationwide card, even at the toll booth!

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Things certainly seem to be improving. When we left England on 31 May Tescos were offering 1.07, but the next day with Nationwide cards on the continent we were getting 1.15 - the point you were making Val.

We have been on Camping cheque sites for the past two weeks, so have not used the cards recently. Will find out the current rated when we move on next week.

Keith

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Where are you Keith? We were away until 26th May - and used Camping Cheques sites the entire holiday! We're going back in August, and counting down the weeks until then!

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val - sorry about the delay in replying - the site wi-fi has been playing up!!

We are at Ossiachsee, near Villach in Southern Austria. Came here via the former East Germany, and the Czech Republic. Going on to Northern Italy in the next day or two - somewhere on the Adriatic, then probably back through Switzerland if time permits. Have three more weeks.

We use Camping Cheques whenever possible but their sites are a bit few on the ground in some parts, particularly in Germany, Spain and Portugal. I always buy enough for most of the trip, but plan to use ACSI for about 10 - 20%. Can always top up with CCs by phoning the French customer services if necessary.

By the way the Camping Cheque site near Prague is great. New indoor pool + outdoor one, all modern - everything works by electronics - they give you a swipe card with credit on it, and it pays for washing machines etc. Even water taps are electronic! But it all works perfectly, and the restaurant is very nice -and cheap too!

Anyway, hope your August trip goes well.

Keith

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We visited my Czech penfriend in Prague in 1976 - in the pre-liberation period, when we still had to report to a police station daily. We had a motorhome, shared with friends, and I can remember staying outside a campsite somewhere on our way to Prague from the German border(because it had closed the day before for the end of the season), next door to the steelworks with the 'thump, thump' of a steel hammer going all night! The next morning we had a shower in what looked like an army nissan hut, with communal showers in the ceiling! Scary. The owner/manager wanted to charge us so many Czech crowns, but we only had Deutschmarks and gave her 10, which sounded OK. She promptly ran off, and brought back a whole cheese, and a whole salami which she gave us as 'change'. Those were the days.

Emjoy your holiday.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
We always pay by credit / debit card but queue up in the manned pay booths.

There are booths marked 'Carte Blanc' (I think) can you use these lanes if you are paying by card and what does it refer to?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts