When is a battery ok

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that on the caravan gauge or by using a meter? Either way it's not an indication of any real problem with your battery. You don't say when the battery was last charged/used.

At the reading you have I would put the battery on a charger or connect up to the 240 v mains and use the caravan charger and give it a recharge. Then measure the voltage after the recharge and again after 24 hr making sure it is isolated from any load.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/need-know-batteries/

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
And don't forget as stated in recent threads make sure your radio is off by the source not just the front clipped off and your TV booster is unplugged as that will still draw current from the battery.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Raywood said:
The caravan should have a master switch and if that is off nothing should be using power.

So people keep saying but when I went to hitch up the other day , the TV booster LED was lit and on and I didn't have nothing switched on either . I wasn't hooked up either to the car but when I went to put my van in for service on Monday the service guy says the radio and the TV bit will always be switched on unless off off at the source and booster unplugged.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Raywood said:
The caravan should have a master switch and if that is off nothing should be using power.

So people keep saying but when I went to hitch up the other day , the TV booster LED was lit and on and I didn't have nothing switched on either . I wasn't hooked up either to the car but when I went to put my van in for service on Monday the service guy says the radio and the TV bit will always be switched on unless off off at the source and booster unplugged.

Craig,
I too have the problem with the radio, but my TV booster has a small inset switch on its top surface. Might be worth checking yours, although my van is older than yours.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I keep my van at home where it is connected to the mains and the battery is therefore on charge via the vans charger,every now and then I disconnect the van and the reading is from my Phantom Tracker app on my phone,when on charge it gives 13.4, when I switched off it went to 12.4 then over two days to 12.2.
The van has a full cover on so its not easy to get to the battery to check with my multi meter.
For various reasons the van hasn't been used for a bit over 12 mths hence my question because I have to use the mover to get it out and wouldn't want to be ready to go away and find the mover wouldn't work.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ThePlotter said:
I keep my van at home where it is connected to the mains and the battery is therefore on charge via the vans charger,every now and then I disconnect the van and the reading is from my Phantom Tracker app on my phone,when on charge it gives 13.4, when I switched off it went to 12.4 then over two days to 12.2.
The van has a full cover on so its not easy to get to the battery to check with my multi meter.
For various reasons the van hasn't been used for a bit over 12 mths hence my question because I have to use the mover to get it out and wouldn't want to be ready to go away and find the mover wouldn't work.

Best to charge the battery and see how it holds its charge and then test the mover on your drive. I think the weather is good enough now to whip the cover off. :evil:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:

My Coachman is the same as Craigs caravan, Master switch OFF but the fridge Electronic panel has power as does the radio and the TV ariel booster. And of course the master control panel. So I pull the 20 amp battery fuse, isolates everything except the alarm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts