When To let Your New "Wee Dug ' Off The Lead....

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Have a 10 month old male Miniature Schnauzer . Teddy. Great wee dug but definitely his own man. House trained in days not weeks, sitting and rolling over with in weeks and loves a cuddle. But a barker . A big barker which hopefully he will grow out of.
So when is the best time and how should I finally release my hairy friend from his ever restraining lead... I am lucky to have very rural empty safe areas at my door step but still petrified in case he bolts .... Any thoughts much appreciated...

GAS ...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly they will never grow out of barking and he needs training now otherwise you will have the issue for the rest of his life.

Reactions: GAS
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A tough one that, if you can get him trained to come back to a whistle, easy enough if they are food orientated.

My F1 Labradoodle ( pure Mongrel ) has never been greedy and also his mum was a chocolate Lab. So stubborn, he loved the water, and as a pup just stood in the river in Lynton and Lynemouth, until I waded in and dragged him out, to much cheering and booing from the crowd on the bridge. Our present dog is fine off the lead until a squirrel or rabbit appears. Dog training classes, are really the best way.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sadly they will never grow out of barking and he needs training now otherwise you will have the issue for the rest of his life.
We stopped our dog from Barking, bye using a squirty water bottle, every time they bark, a firm squirt in the face, and a strong "Quiet" command.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have a 10 month old male Miniature Schnauzer . Teddy. Great wee dug but definitely his own man. House trained in days not weeks, sitting and rolling over with in weeks and loves a cuddle. But a barker . A big barker which hopefully he will grow out of.
So when is the best time and how should I finally release my hairy friend from his ever restraining lead... I am lucky to have very rural empty safe areas at my door step but still petrified in case he bolts .... Any thoughts much appreciated...

GAS ...
In our area farmers have set up dog excercise enclosed fields. One near us has very high fences, an enclosed swimming pond, doggy agility things and a rough forage. Only one car allowed in but you can take any number of dogs. Pay per hour. We have taken our dogs plus daughters and our grandson took his Visla tontrain it on off lead recall. It worked and he can now take it into normal countryside.

Reactions: GAS and Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

GAS ...
Schnauzers never grow out of being barkers - judging by my B-i-L's succession of them.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our youngest dog Sammy came to us when he was seven months old ; bat- eared Jack Russell] was good in most things but was a barker, It took patience and consistency to discourage this behaviour by being firm about discouraging this, After a couple of months he is only barks a couple of times to warn us of someone coming, Also the same time put in with retrieval, he was on a long lead at first now this is excellent.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Until my divorce I had dogs since I was a kid
I'd love to get a dog now, but my current mobility issues would be unfair on the dog in terms of regular exercise.
I still take an interest in dog oriented TV programmes though, and one of my favourites is the channel 5 programme 'Dogs Behaving VeryBadly' with Graeme Hall.
He seems to know how dogs think, and more importantly, he has the ability to train the owners of dogs who have been allowed to misbehave, because it's usually the dog owner at fault.
Does anybody else watch this programme?
To train a young dog for re-call depends on a long lead to begin with, plus reward and praise when the dog gets it right.
We often see dog owners admonishing their confused pooch when it makes a mistake but it's very important to encourage the dog to do what's wanted by reinforcing good behaviour with praise and little treats.

Reactions: GAS and otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'd love to get a dog now, but my current mobility issues would be unfair on the dog in terms of regular exercise.
I still take an interest in dog oriented TV programmes though, and one of my favourites is the channel 5 programme 'Dogs Behaving VeryBadly' with Graeme Hall.
He seems to know how dogs think, and more importantly, he has the ability to train the owners of dogs who have been allowed to misbehave, because it's usually the dog owner at fault.
To train a young dog for re-call depends on a long lead to begin with, plus reward and praise when the dog gets it right.
We often see dog owners admonishing their confused pooch when it makes a mistake but it's very important to encourage the dog to do what's wanted by reinforcing good behaviour with praise and little treats.
We love those programs, we had to get Lyn Davies, from "Dog Borstal" in to help with our Dog, and as a few on here know, Rex, was quite well behaved.

Reactions: GAS and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never won the battle between Springers and waterfowl. Had her at 1 year old as free to good home. Went to the Game Fair at Blenheim but the traffic was horrendous so we decided on a walk along the Thames at Lechlade. She shot in the river and across to the opposite bank. Came back when it suited her. Two weeks later did the same thing in Loch Ewe. Thought that we would be only bringing one dog home. The other one that we have had from a pup, again free, was just as bad, but age is taking its effect on them now.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Never watch that program and never knew of it. Anyway this week Crufts is on from tomorrow so we will be watching that. :ROFLMAO:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We love those programs, we had to get Lyn Davies, from "Dog Borstal" in to help with our Dog, and as a few on here know, Rex, was quite well behaved.
Rex was a really nice dog, Carole was very fond of him and she can be a bit nervous about dogs at times.
She's transferred her affections to your little dog now Hutch. (Is the dog called Harry?)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Watching this programme is an education in how not to deal with a dog, they are amusing to watch but to live with some of the dogs behaviours over a period of time must be frustrating and stressful. Our two are terriers, both have their moments but were taught early on decent behaviour. Sad you are unable to have one now, maybe one of the smaller ones who needs less exercise but enjoy a fuss and are great company for all the family.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Met a part time dog trainer this afternoon when out with Wee Teddy. Gave me some pointers excuse the pun and also found out our local village has a secure dog run that you can hire for up to an hour at a time for training..... So all good...

GAS ....

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Met a part time dog trainer this afternoon when out with Wee Teddy. Gave me some pointers excuse the pun and also found out our local village has a secure dog run that you can hire for up to an hour at a time for training..... So all good...

GAS ....
Good find hope it proves to be useful for you and Wee Teddy :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Avatar explains all. At 4 months old we play hide and seek. The+woods by us are totally safe. Let the dog off and it will run. Hide and watch discretely. After 5 minutes or so the dog will start looking for you. Wait and let it sweat. Assuming you have been using voice , whistle and hand recall, call the dog. It will come to you. In my experience after that it will never take its eye off you no matter how far out it goes. I have only ever had English Springer Spaniels so can only say my techniques definitely work with gun dogs

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Avatar explains all. At 4 months old we play hide and seek. The+woods by us are totally safe. Let the dog off and it will run. Hide and watch discretely. After 5 minutes or so the dog will start looking for you. Wait and let it sweat. Assuming you have been using voice , whistle and hand recall, call the dog. It will come to you. In my experience after that it will never take its eye off you no matter how far out it goes. I have only ever had English Springer Spaniels so can only say my techniques definitely work with gun dogs
That’s a novel approach but I can see how it works. When mine have got lost in the woods and I whistle them they would eventually rocket up to me and stay by me for quite a time. Well until another squirrel, rabbit or duck appears on the scene.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
If you want to let your dog off the lead dont come to the Teignbridge area of Devon, new by-law from April, lead must be fixed and 1.0meter (3ft) long, by- law is currently 2.0m (6ft)
Our Councillors have no more important things to do!!
Oh and dont forget to have sufficient poo bags........one is not enough !!

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you want to let your dog off the lead dont come to the Teignbridge area of Devon, new by-law from April, lead must be fixed and 1.0meter (3ft) long, by- law is currently 2.0m (6ft)
Do you have to hold onto the dogs lead, or can it run free with it on?
An interesting Bye law.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
About time people were banned from using extender leads on pavements etc. It is not the dog at fault but the person holding onto the other end!

Reactions: Dustydog

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site

Cheers Dusty D. Will give it a go. He's a clever wee lad but very independent .... :neutral:

GAS ...

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kev thanks for the info greatly received:)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we were in Switzerland, one Canton had the rule of dogs on leads at all times, But the could swim in the lakes without the leads.
Oh and dog poo bag dispensers, and collection bins, on almost evey street corner.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
About time people were banned from using extender leads on pavements etc. It is not the dog at fault but the person holding onto the other end!
Our Golden retriever Buddy has been on an extender all 11 years of his life.
When out walking with the lead extended he has been taught to respond to a slight tug when someone/thing is approaching and he returns to heel. No voice commands what so ever, so am I at fault for holding onto the other end"?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts