Which club to join?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just joined Greenflag direct with there recovery plus option, no need to join CMHC!!
Oh and saved £97.27 against my re-newal quote from Arrival. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Just joined Greenflag direct with there recovery plus option, no need to join CMHC!!

I think from distant memory, Green Flag normal had a length limit just short of our van whereas Mayday through the club didn't. I may of course be getting confused.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Kev -- think you'll find that although Green Flag provide the service, there are restrictions on the Green Flag base compared to the CMC Mayday policy.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks chaps. Green flag web site states 7.0m in length, that's why I never went with them before. Then contacted them and asked if that was body or shipping, duly came back as body!!! My body is 6.8m with extra long A frame. Then asked if I had to be a member of the cmhc of which they replied no. So think im on a winner.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with you Kev, but I have the Euro plus policy which cover us for the caravan and the car whilst in all the European countries and also Andorra and Switzerland. All for £115.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I think the other difference (GreenFlag-v-Mayday) is that you don't get the 'dual-recovery'. ..... i.e. take you and caravan to a pre-booked site AND recover you back home afterwards. (For me that would be the least of my worries after a breakdown....and I seldom book in advance anyway).

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are several other differences between Green Flag and Mayday but the dual recovery is the one most quoted. Mayday will also take your car to the caravan site if it breaks down when touring and pick up the caravan before taking you back home but I am not sure Green Flag does this. You also need to be sure that Green Flag actually covers a breakdown of the caravan and will recover that if it is faulty rather than the car.
Basically Mayday is a specific policy, like Arrival, designed for caravanners with special terms negotiated because of the volume of business the club is able to provide.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev said:

Just cancelled Green Flag!!!!
Was having sleepless night's :(
so cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period, the duel recovery was playing on my mind.

So have gone back and re-negoiated with Arrival, got that down from £176.00 (Ouch) to £97.00, :)
Only £18.00 more than Green Flag.
Think I will sleep better tonight now ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Interesting Kev .
The CMHC quote £103.50 for their full blown Defaqto cover. I'd say you have done well. The additional benefits with the two Clubs schemes are quite considerable compared to the run of the mill stuff. Do you think you were misquoted in the first place. ;) Also the Clubs covers will pull your whole outfit out of the snow ice and mud :evil:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Gagakev said:

Just cancelled Green Flag!!!!
Was having sleepless night's :(
so cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period, the duel recovery was playing on my mind.

So have gone back and re-negoiated with Arrival, got that down from £176.00 (Ouch) to £97.00, :)
Only £18.00 more than Green Flag.
Think I will sleep better tonight now ;)

And that's the reason I stay with CMHC breakdown and recovery. They don't attempt to fleece their loyal customers. The advertised and renewal premiums are kept low and very competitive without loyal customers having to go through a renegotiation. That's okay if you live in Fez I guess. Arrival and AA must have been trained by the large energy companies :-(

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Good move Kev. Just don't make the same mistake as us. Used 2nd journey to take it to the local dealer who hadn't managed to fix it by the end of the following weekend. With nursie due at work the next day, that caused a few headaches. In future I would keep the defunct car on site and have second journey as our return home and have the car sorted then. Not that the new car will ever break down :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Interesting Kev .
The CMHC quote £103.50 for their full blown Defaqto cover. I'd say you have done well. The additional benefits with the two Clubs schemes are quite considerable compared to the run of the mill stuff. Do you think you were misquoted in the first place. ;) Also the Clubs covers will pull your whole outfit out of the snow ice and mud :evil:

I don't think the first quoted price was a misquote as it was similar to one that I had when I looked around at renewal time. The RAC and AA are notorious for this. My daughter was with AA for her car and she regularly had to negotiate the quite down by a considerable amount. Despite the fact that she'd never had a call out in years of driving. She's now with Britannia who like Greenflag, Mayday have low competitive prices which you don't/cannot negotiate down. I find it quite disappointing that the CCC recovery operator acts this way especially with Members.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Interesting Kev .

I don't think the first quoted price was a misquote as it was similar to one that I had when I looked around at renewal time. The RAC and AA are notorious for this. My daughter was with AA for her car and she regularly had to negotiate the quite down by a considerable amount. Despite the fact that she'd never had a call out in years of driving. She's now with Britannia who like Greenflag, Mayday have low competitive prices which you don't/cannot negotiate down. I find it quite disappointing that the CCC recovery operator acts this way especially with Members.

Unfortunately I'm with Clive on this one DD, last years premium was £164.00 and I got a tenner off that!!!
One thing that did appeal with GF is they do offer a no callout discount (having put it on first :whistle: )
I did drop a boo boo though :(
Whilst negotiating/buying cover last Sunday I bought the Green Flag one, and whilst cancelling the RAC Arrival policy they offered me a 14 month policy which I turned down :(
I'd already paid for green flag!!!
Tried to get the 14 month's today but they were having none of it. :(

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
A significant factor is whether or not you require European breakdown cover. MAYDAY is UK only (you have to take out RED PENNANT for European cover, which is super-expensive). ARRIVAL do offer European cover, but only up to a certain age of car (mine is too old!). BRITTANIA covers both UK and Europe recovery at around £100.

When abroad, ALL the policies (possibly excepting RED PENNANT) are far from clear with regard to what they will do for the caravan if the car breaks down. ( in practice it will be very much up to the local breakdown contractor).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Green flag European cover, does do caravan and car recovery to the Uk, including a driver if there is no other driver "capabile" last year mine was £105 for Uk and European as long as the car and caravan are each under 7 meters.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
VicMallows said:
A significant factor is whether or not you require European breakdown cover. MAYDAY is UK only (you have to take out RED PENNANT for European cover, which is super-expensive). ARRIVAL do offer European cover, but only up to a certain age of car (mine is too old!). BRITTANIA covers both UK and Europe recovery at around £100.

When abroad, ALL the policies (possibly excepting RED PENNANT) are far from clear with regard to what they will do for the caravan if the car breaks down. ( in practice it will be very much up to the local breakdown contractor).

Have not yet toured the whole of the UK............Europe where's that?? :whistle: ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
VicMallows said:

I would not regard Red Pennant as super expensive. It does cost a bit more than some but you get very good service and greater cover. I would not regard the saving on other policies as worth the risk except for the C&CC alternative. basically we have been abroad with both clubs and take the cover from the one we have booked with. In both cases they are written by caravanning organisations who know what we need and make sure we get it.y

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
VicMallows said:

I would not regard Red Pennant as super expensive. It does cost a bit more than some but you get very good service and greater cover. I would not regard the saving on other policies as worth the risk except for the C&CC alternative. basically we have been abroad with both clubs and take the cover from the one we have booked with. In both cases they are written by caravanning organisations who know what we need and make sure we get it.y

My thoughts exactly. When your world goes awry you want an effective support provider. You can lose the minimal extra cost by just an extra night or different route home if your service provider isn't quite so good.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We have only been with the caravan club and each time we have been away overseas we have always gone red Pennant . Not going to join the other club as we plan far a head in advance of where we want to go .
Craig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
On foreign trips we have checked the sites available with both clubs and added up the costs and the insurance and taken the cheaper option. Generally there is not a lot in it but on the last trip the CC as they were then were noticeably cheaper on the same sites. This may be the few we checked and not everywhere though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In Europe, never use club sites and never the large sites, tend to find municiple sites or site with upto 50 pitches. And use DFDS, direct as the club discounts on ferries dont seem to give very much off.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have found that the clubs charge for sites is generally less than you pay if you just turn up but it is more a case of making sure we know where we are going.
Given DFDS prices the saving with the clubs is small, but we work on the basis that it is better in our pocket than the ferry company, and often use Brittany ferries where the saving is more substantial.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
We have found that the clubs charge for sites is generally less than you pay if you just turn up but it is more a case of making sure we know where we are going.

That probably make a difference as we never really know where we are going to end up, and gave up years ago with the caravan club silver discount card thing, mostly use ACSI as we tend not to go in the height of the European season. Municiple sites are well below the club sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts