Which Petrol Car

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Currently tow my Bailey Ranger 460-4, with a Vauxhal Insignia. Problem is, although it pulls very well, when not towing I do low miles.. so DPF Issues. I need to switch to petrol, what do you guys have?

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Out first tow car, many years ago, was a 1.6 Corolla. It was only pulling a 1050kg MTPLM Caravan, but we had no problems with towing. A succession of diesel vehicles followed, all proving quite adept at towing. In their non towing form they were 50 mike a day commuting wagons for the wife so we never saw any issues. The last vehicle being a 2004 Galaxy which was (still is..,) a brilliant tow car.
But concerns about the Galaxy’s age has seen us buyva new car for the Wife which will double as a tow car. As her job is now lots of short journeys, we have opted for a petrol. We haven’t towed with it yet but I can tell that it will be more than up to the task. It’s only a 1.4 but has plenty of power.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
takisawa2 said:
Out first tow car, many years ago, was a 1.6 Corolla. It was only pulling a 1050kg MTPLM Caravan, but we had no problems with towing. A succession of diesel vehicles followed, all proving quite adept at towing. In their non towing form they were 50 mike a day commuting wagons for the wife so we never saw any issues. The last vehicle being a 2004 Galaxy which was (still is..,) a brilliant tow car.
But concerns about the Galaxy’s age has seen us buyva new car for the Wife which will double as a tow car. As her job is now lots of short journeys, we have opted for a petrol. We haven’t towed with it yet but I can tell that it will be more than up to the task. It’s only a 1.4 but has plenty of power.

I guess most of us started with petrol cars as diesels weren’t very common and being non turbo didn’t have much torque. And they were dirty and smelly too. No comparison with a BMC 1.8 twin carb unit.
What is your new 1.4 car?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
You don’t say what your budget is, but two petrol cars that we have been VERY impressed with at the Tow Car Awards have been the Ford Mondeo 240PS and the new Kia Stinger 2.0-litre turbo. Both were excellent as tow cars and are a good drive solo too. My son has an estate version of the Mondeo, and what a lovely car it is. The Stinger is almost a cross-over between a very low slung sports car and a large hatchback. I’d love either of them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
You don’t say what your budget is, but two petrol cars that we have been VERY impressed with at the Tow Car Awards have been the Ford Mondeo 240PS and the new Kia Stinger 2.0-litre turbo. Both were excellent as tow cars and are a good drive solo too. My son has an estate version of the Mondeo, and what a lovely car it is. The Stinger is almost a cross-over between a very low slung sports car and a large hatchback. I’d love either of them.

From a parallel post I think it’s a 1.4 Tiguan. Jeremy Clarkson was very impressed by the Stinger across the board, even daring to say M class watch out. But he didn’t comment on its towing ability. I wonder why not?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We swapped for a petrol Mazda 6 with 160ps. It has towed a Quasar 564 with an MTPLM of 1350 with no trouble but you do have to change down more than the diesel. Towing it managed about 28- 30 mpg depending on the circumstances against the diesel model that did 32-34. Having driven quite a few petrol engined cars when towing they do manage rather less well than their diesel equivalents but provided you have the power then they will do reasonably well. Basically the difference shows when setting off uphill and longish hills as the lack of torque does hold them back and you do have to accept the higher fuel bill.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
We swapped for a petrol Mazda 6 with 160ps. It has towed a Quasar 564 with an MTPLM of 1350 with no trouble but you do have to change down more than the diesel. Towing it managed about 28- 30 mpg depending on the circumstances against the diesel model that did 32-34. Having driven quite a few petrol engined cars when towing they do manage rather less well than their diesel equivalents but provided you have the power then they will do reasonably well. Basically the difference shows when setting off uphill and longish hills as the lack of torque does hold them back and you do have to accept the higher fuel bill.

The Stinger has power and torque in abundance and could rival the Skoda Superb 280 Estate in my future affections !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I guess most of us started with petrol cars as diesels weren’t very common and being non turbo didn’t have much torque. And they were dirty and smelly too. No comparison with a BMC 1.8 twin carb unit.

Showing your age Clive?
I'd agree that people of our age are likely to have started towing with petrol vehicles, but we are rapidly becoming more endangered, and the younger breeds who have taken up towing are more likely to have used diesels.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:

Showing your age Clive?
I'd agree that people of our age are likely to have started towing with petrol vehicles, but we are rapidly becoming more endangered, and the younger breeds who have taken up towing are more likely to have used diesels.

Spot on Prof. The old BMC 1.8 TC was a bit of a stormer in its day. I took my fathers car for its MOT today. It’s a 16v 1.2 petrol Corsa and although i had run it up last week once I’d mastered Vauxhall’s approach to selecting reverse gear I was amazed at just how smooth and quite it was. On a couple of occasions I thought the engine had died or I’d stalled. But no it was so quiet. Good news it passed okay. So next week it may be looking fir a new owner. 2003 32k miles genuine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I never owned a land crab 1800, but my brother did, and i did drive it on a few occasions. It was a big boat and surprisingly comfortable, Sporting no, but very adequate for normal driving and a great family car. Staffordshire police had a fleet of 2200's before moving to Granada's which i think had better high speed handling characteristics.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

The Stinger has power and torque in abundance and could rival the Skoda Superb 280 Estate in my future affections !

The Stinger did very well in the tow car tests and might be the petrol engine to go for. If what the magazine says is correct we will see a fair number on sites in future.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys, just dipped in to find this older topic answered. Both Mondeo having pedigree and the Stinger look good. However, almost seems wrong putting a tow bar on the Stinger! Budget wouldn’t buy me either I’m afraid. I’m gussing 8k Trade, topped up to 12k max.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are probably looking at fairly new but second hand models and there should be Mondeos to suit as well as a good few others. I would be looking at at least 160ps and as much torque as you can find. I would also check out the emissions as some petrol engines can be rather high with road tax being steep. In looking at petrol engines I did rule some out because of this.

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I've never owned a Diesel car and only ever towed with petrols, a 2002 406 V6, a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero and now a 2005 Volvo S60 T5.

None of the have had any problems with the Van on, I've just taken my caravan (1470kg) from Bedale to Cayton, about 75 miles and sat on the A64 and A1 most of the way on cruise at 60 Mph averaged 29.1 MPG (5speed auto)

I was looking to change for a Diesel a while ago to see how i'd go on but I don't like how they drive, the way they deliver power or the unrefined nature.

If I were to get one it would be a pre DPF S Type or XJ 2.7tdv6, they deliver their power in a very petrol like fashion and are quiet for a Diesel, shame PSA never offered it without a DPF.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cento16v, I have towed with a variety of diesel and petrol cars. There is no doubt that diesels make better towcars but many petrol models are perfectly good towcars but the low down torque of a diesel cannot be beaten as far as I can see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts