Who sold this poor chap this car?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have read and reread the Sleaford recovery report and I cannot see where it states that the car did not have a recharge cable, it only states the elderly driver did not have a smart phone, to down load the App. The recovery folk took him to tesco to recharge him,
I think people are reading too much into this.
On FB "Happy to go above and beyond if it means people are safe but shame on the dealership for not properly instructing this man how to charge his car and neither did they even include a lead to charge it from his home. "

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On FB "Happy to go above and beyond if it means people are safe but shame on the dealership for not properly instructing this man how to charge his car and neither did they even include a lead to charge it from his home. "
Again I must point out that we only have one part of the story. Consider the possibility the dealership did tell the new owner how to charge, but the driver might have forgotten what he was told.

Lets not get into the blame game where we do not have all the necessary facts.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Again I must point out that we only have one part of the story. Consider the possibility the dealership did tell the new owner how to charge, but the driver might have forgotten what he was told.

We are talking about a car dealership and not the latest saints! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site

The chap seems to have been told by the dealer he needed an app to charge, and remembered that much. He didn’t mention contactless payment for charging. Was he not told, or did he forget? We don’t know. My money is in the former.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are very unlikely to find out exactly what happened, as none of us were there we cannot know the truth, and as far as I'm concerned its not a matter where it's appropriate to take bets . All we can glean is that for some reason this unfortunate fellow ran out of charge.

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
with regard to EVs if you live in a terrace with no off road parking an ev is no use to you as you cannot drape a charge lead accross the pedestrian walkway. My grandson has a company car which is fortunately duel fuel he uses it more on regular fuel than electric due to the fact that he lives in a terrace and cant charge it at home he covers a large area in his car for his company and says if he was to start having to look for charging places he would never get half his work done, before he got this car he was all for evs but now realises how short they fall in reality when it comes to travelling any distance and is glad he has duel fuel caperbility.
EVs might be good for the motorist that only potters around a short distance and has off road parking, but from what my grandosn has said that some charging points are different to others and he cant use them so do folk also have to carry an adaptor just incase, and then you get the fact that sometimes you have to wait to be able to hook up to a charge point in some places as the charging points are in use, i can understand the desired use for evs but it makes more sense to go the duel fuel route to me at least then you dont get stuck somewhere especially on a long route

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
with regard to EVs if you live in a terrace with no off road parking an ev is no use to you as you cannot drape a charge lead accross the pedestrian walkway. My grandson has a company car which is fortunately duel fuel he uses it more on regular fuel than electric due to the fact that he lives in a terrace and cant charge it at home he covers a large area in his car for his company and says if he was to start having to look for charging places he would never get half his work done, before he got this car he was all for evs but now realises how short they fall in reality when it comes to travelling any distance and is glad he has duel fuel caperbility.
EVs might be good for the motorist that only potters around a short distance and has off road parking, but from what my grandosn has said that some charging points are different to others and he cant use them so do folk also have to carry an adaptor just incase, and then you get the fact that sometimes you have to wait to be able to hook up to a charge point in some places as the charging points are in use, i can understand the desired use for evs but it makes more sense to go the duel fuel route to me at least then you dont get stuck somewhere especially on a long route
With approval from your local authority, you can have a "gulley" cut into the pavement which would allow you to charge a car outside your terraced house, they're doing this in Oxford - problem is no-one can guarantee to be able to park outside their own house.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... My grandson has a company car which is fortunately duel fuel he uses it more on regular fuel than electric due to the fact that he lives in a terrace and cant charge it at home he covers a large area in his car for his company and says if he was to start having to look for charging places he would never get half his work done,....

Whilst I don't know how your grandson chooses his car, it seems to the choice of what you describe as a PHEV may have been inappropriate and short sighted either by him as he does not have a home charge solution, or by his company forcing him to have an electric car considering his circumstances.

I'll bet that the company car tax situation was the main driving force in his/companies' choice of car as PHEV's have very attractive P11D offsets at the moment.

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
Company choice, he used to have a very nice merc saloon but when he changed roles in his company he was given a brand new company car which is a very nice car but doesnt suit really because of the charging issue at home or on his travelling about,he likes the car but uses it mostly on petrol

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are very unlikely to find out exactly what happened, as none of us were there we cannot know the truth, and as far as I'm concerned its not a matter where it's appropriate to take bets . All we can glean is that for some reason this unfortunate fellow ran out of charge.
However before selling the car, the sales person should have checked that the gentleman in question could charge the vehicle at his home and advised them accordingly. Secondly the sales person should have made sure that the driver had the appropriate cable to charge the vehicle anyway. Lastly although it may not be necessary the sales person should have inquired if the appropriate app could be installed on the customer's phone. It does seem that the sales person never showed due diligence.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However before selling the car, the sales person should have checked that the gentleman in question could charge the vehicle at his home and advised them accordingly. Secondly the sales person should have made sure that the driver had the appropriate cable to charge the vehicle anyway. Lastly although it may not be necessary the sales person should have inquired if the appropriate app could be installed on the customer's phone. It does seem that the sales person never showed due diligence.
It might be true, but it might not. Speculation is fair game, but outright condemnation when you do not have all the facts is not reasonable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts