Why do i need caravan insurance ????

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
Seriously why do i need it ? please answer a couple of questions, does a caravan insurance cover my caravan if i crash my car and caravan, or does my car insurance cover it ?? forget all this new for old or goods covered in a breakin, i just want my caravan covered ...help please regards glen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
glen_374419104 said:
Seriously why do i need it ? please answer a couple of questions, does a caravan insurance cover my caravan if i crash my car and caravan, or does my car insurance cover it ?? forget all this new for old or goods covered in a breakin, i just want my caravan covered ...help please regards glen

No, but it does cover your van when it's not connected to your car.
Have you got enough money to pay for any damage caused by your van to other peoples property if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident while on a site. ( fire or run away while unhitching are just two scenarios that I would want cover for )

Steve W

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another point to consider is what happens if you damage your own van whilst towing?
Most car insurance only covers the van for 3rd party damage.
So, if , like me, you put a crease down the entire length of the van whilst negotiating a tight exit from a site which required a new side panel, the car insurance will not pay, but the van insurance will.

A new side panel is NOT a cheap repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here's another sum. If you insure your van and damage it yourself (as Damian and I have done) when is it worthwhile to claim ?
If you are currently on a good NCD, then a claim may eliminate this, which will increase your premiums over the next few years.
If you guestimate the cumulative effect of this and add in your excess, you may find it just isn't worth claiming for anything much less than about £1000.

So my advice would be to insure but to take the largest excess you can (which will cut your premiums) and then be very careful about making a claim. With a van 5 years old or more, 'cosmetic' exterior damage is not likely to make very much difference to the P/E price whereas internal damp may do.
if you are into spreadsheets a few 'what if' calculations may make the situation more clear.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
glen_374419104 said:
The old adage of, insurance is only of any value when you need it but don't have it is not a good yardstick to use.
There are a lot of people out there that have not informed their car insurance companies that they have fitted Tow-Bars and I am sure there are a lot that have bought cars with them already fitted and equally not informed the insurance company ("because I never had it done")because it was already on the car.
Those people then take up towing & don't insure their caravan because it is "old & not worth the cost",or it's our first attempt and if we like it we will get a better one and insure that one.Then BANG. Their car is damaged learning to reverse during a RAPID JACKKNIFE,or worse still someone else gets belted.
Your caravan is only insured against Third Party Claims/Damage for certain when the car insurance company know that you tow with the car.
Last July we had a really freaky accident with our 1992 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 Twin Axle. It rolled backwards 14"-18" on rough ground into a Drystone Wall (the hand break failed on the car & both went backwards before I realised and hit the foot-brake).The caravan was insured with E&L and because of non availability of rear panels it was deemed a Total Loss.They paid out within 10/14days of my request for a claim form. A very old but Bone Dry van and our investment protected by insurance.The van was insured for £2500.00 and after excess they paid £2100.00.The premium for that year was a very well invested £170.00,without the insurance we would have not had a leg to stand on,never mind the potential risk associated with Third Party Claims against us.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
glen_374419104 said:
Glen
Also read this thread.
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/stolen-caravan-honeymoon-heartbreak
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts