Wi-fi access.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Ok. So we can all get on this internet thingy anytime, anywhere in the world.

My question is.....How?

Who uses what, who does what to get on the net. What's this Fon set-up, or The Cloud - what's all that about then?

As you've probably gathered, I failed my diploma in computer sciences cos I couldn't turn the damn thing on.

As much advice as you can muster please to save me having to ask my grandson how to do it!

Dave

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Obviously you need a laptop first. Make sure it says something like "wifi enabled".

Hotspots are all over the place, rail stations, cafes, pubs, hotels, Starbucks, McDonalds etc. The problem is finding them.

To save firing your laptop up only to find hotspots that are secure (need a password) it's best to have a WiFi finder which by the press of a button tells you if there are any hotspots in your location. You can get cheap ones but these don't tell you if it is secure or unsecure, unsecure being the one you want.

I've just sent for this ....

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/myhotspots-21/detail/B000ORY1OA/203-7657935-1070345
BT Fon, which I haven't tried yet, is for BT customers who have BTs broadband to register and this allows anyone in your area to use some of your broadband useage. The idea is to get as many as possible to sign up so it's easy to get a connection anywhere.

Because I'm with BT I can also connect to BT Openzone or their business partners hotspots for free.

I'm new to all of this so maybe JTS or JTQ can add to it or correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What I failed to say regarding the WiFi finder is once it locates an unsecure hotspot you start your laptop and plug the finder into a USB port and it connects that way.

If you don't use a finder the laptop does a scan on startup. After it's finished right click the icon in the notification area at the bottom right of screen and it will tell you if it's found any hotspots and whether secure or not.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi LB. You seem awfully knowledgable on this subject - I thought you'd have 'someone who does' it for you!

But many thanks for your input. I bought a laptop yesterday from PC World (I wonder if there's a copper out there whose surname is World....), anyway it's the one they're advertising on Tv.

I took it to McDonalds, sat in the carpark and switched it on. Nothing; 'cannot connect to internet'.

Do you need a codeword or something?

So I came home and fired up this old gas-fired machine and googled McDonalds. While ferreting through all the McD's sites, I found out that their wifi service is supplied by The Cloud.

I duly googled The Cloud and it appears that you can buy unlimited wifi access from thousands of hotspots in the UK for

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi LB. You seem awfully knowledgable on this subject - I thought you'd have 'someone who does' it for you!

But many thanks for your input. I bought a laptop yesterday from PC World (I wonder if there's a copper out there whose surname is World....), anyway it's the one they're advertising on Tv.

I took it to McDonalds, sat in the carpark and switched it on. Nothing; 'cannot connect to internet'.

Do you need a codeword or something?

So I came home and fired up this old gas-fired machine and googled McDonalds. While ferreting through all the McD's sites, I found out that their wifi service is supplied by The Cloud.

I duly googled The Cloud and it appears that you can buy unlimited wifi access from thousands of hotspots in the UK for

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
hi mate

Had a similar problem, sitting in a wifi area, switch on, look for connections, select the one for the area that is free, log on.

It does work, I tried it sitting in a Mcdonalds, also while away in Falmouth, though there I had to pay

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Only bit I know so far Dave is what I've read and what mainly JTS and JTQ have said in the other thread I started.

Have you checked to see if the laptop is WiFi enabled?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
One comment to add to LB's contribution:

Not all un-encrypted "hotspots" will enable you to access the internet. This is because they are WiFi connections to a network and whilst many networks do have a modem connecting them to the Internet some don't, they are simply networking a group of computers. So if you get a WiFi connection but cant get further onto the Internet that is probably the case.

However nearly all hotspots in domestic residential areas seem to be on the Internet.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
It is LB. And it has a little switch at the front to activate the wireless thingy.

I'll keep trying and let you know - thats if I dont get booted off for my last reply to Gio on the other thread on chit-chat - why does anyone bother.

Ceers for now,Dave.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
DAVE.

Don't start putting your hand in your pocket yet. First thing are you a BT Broadband customer. If you are you get a free allowance of WiFI minutes to use on BT Openzone you can also join BT Fon. Confused? so you should be, so to make things clearer can I suggest you Google "BT Openzone" read it ALL but do not join. After that Google "BT Fon" and if you are a BT Broadband customer join in. If you had joined before you went to McDonalds you would have been able to login to The Cloud because The Cloud is one of BT's parteners as you will find out if you visit Openzone and read it. Also read the thread "WiFi Finder" started by LB who was almost in the same boat as you. If you are not with BT Broadband then I am afraid you will only have unsecured hotspots or have to buy in with another provider. BTW Pc world used to have a couple of little free booklets available, very informative and useful. If you are a CC member don't forget to complain about the cost of their WiFi service. Good luck. JTS.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
One comment to add to LB's contribution:

Not all un-encrypted "hotspots" will enable you to access the internet. This is because they are WiFi connections to a network and whilst many networks do have a modem connecting them to the Internet some don't, they are simply networking a group of computers. So if you get a WiFi connection but cant get further onto the Internet that is probably the case.

However nearly all hotspots in domestic residential areas seem to be on the Internet.
Many thanks for that JTQ. I'm learning all the time!

Dave

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If you are with BT Dave it depends on whether you are on Option 1,2 or 3 how many wifi minutes you get free. If on 3 it's unlimited (subject to a fair usage policy).

To make it clearer BT Fon isn't owned by BT, FON is international which allows you to get free access anywhere in the world.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Jts and LB. There seems to be a very faint light at the end of my tunnel of understanding.

JTS, you say The Cloud is one of BT's partners - That does make sense!

LB, so Fon can supply my needs over next winter in Spain!

As I have approx 48 hours to get this sorted and running,changing to BT may not be an option(I'm withTiscali at the moment).

But JTS, The Cloud offer an access package for

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Do Dave and Dee understand that wi-fi only works over a short distance and the sigbnals get reduced by walls and fittings.

So you have to be fairly close to a wi-fi routers aerial to get a connection. Sat in a car park you may not be in range and you are unlikely to find a wi-fi signal on Bodmin Moor or in the middle of Kew Gardens.

If you want anywhere any time internet connection a Mobile Broadband USB Modem from Vodafone or the other Mobile phone providers will get you going using 3G or GPRS, but again you will only get a connection when near the cell phone cells.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template04&pageID=MB_0001

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sadie. Yes, I get your point but according to The Cloud's website,their signal covers a radius of 70 to 100 feet. So a carpark at Mac's shouldn't pose a problem.

Dave

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
JTS is the one to ask about wifi abroad. I believe he connected to FON hotspots over there Dave.

Someone else in another thread said how cheap it was in Spain compared to what the CC is charging.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Dave.

A car park can be a problem, Mc Donalds wi-fi modems are often in an inner office of the constuction of their roadside building does not allow a good signal quite often. Concrete and metal framed building and a huge kitchen full of stainless do not help the signal.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Jts and LB. There seems to be a very faint light at the end of my tunnel of understanding.

JTS, you say The Cloud is one of BT's partners - That does make sense!

LB, so Fon can supply my needs over next winter in Spain!

As I have approx 48 hours to get this sorted and running,changing to BT may not be an option(I'm withTiscali at the moment).

But JTS, The Cloud offer an access package for

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Obviously you need a laptop first. Make sure it says something like "wifi enabled".

Hotspots are all over the place, rail stations, cafes, pubs, hotels, Starbucks, McDonalds etc. The problem is finding them.

To save firing your laptop up only to find hotspots that are secure (need a password) it's best to have a WiFi finder which by the press of a button tells you if there are any hotspots in your location. You can get cheap ones but these don't tell you if it is secure or unsecure, unsecure being the one you want.

I've just sent for this ....

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/myhotspots-21/detail/B000ORY1OA/203-7657935-1070345
BT Fon, which I haven't tried yet, is for BT customers who have BTs broadband to register and this allows anyone in your area to use some of your broadband useage. The idea is to get as many as possible to sign up so it's easy to get a connection anywhere.

Because I'm with BT I can also connect to BT Openzone or their business partners hotspots for free.

I'm new to all of this so maybe JTS or JTQ can add to it or correct me if I'm wrong.
G'morning LB. Just checked out your link to the Kensington.It's cheap enough isn't it.I'll send for that when we get back.Thanks.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts