Wide band tv aerials which is best please?

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anybody have any advice on which is the most suitable wide band aerial for rigging up to the outside of my Elddis? I want to give this freeview receiver i have a go. There is an exterior point on the van for the existing UHF aerial to plug into. The UHF is attached to the side of the van via a couple of suction holders. It's just a matter of plugging in a length of co-axial cable from the interior aerial point to the back of the tv.

Recently visited Oswestry and with just the UHF aerial connected to the van (no Freeview box connection) I could'nt believe how clear the pictures were.In fact Channel 5 was available as good as any digital at home. Probably just a one off. Regards and thanks, Tony.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
TV signal strength depends on power of transmitter, distance from transmitter and obstacles such as hills, buildings or trees.

Most centres of population get a strong signal because transmitters are located to serve them. Country areas get a much weaker signal.

Most of the UK needs an "extra high gain" aerial or "high gain" aerial with an amplifier. High gain aerials can be identified by the X shaped elements. Extra high gain aerials have more X shaped elements. None of the aerials designed for caravanners are high gain or extra high gain and don't work well when from transmitters.

Freeview boxes use digital signals which are more sensitive to signal strength than analogue.

It comes down to how big an aerial you're prepared to find space for.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
TV signal strength depends on power of transmitter, distance from transmitter and obstacles such as hills, buildings or trees.

Most centres of population get a strong signal because transmitters are located to serve them. Country areas get a much weaker signal.

Most of the UK needs an "extra high gain" aerial or "high gain" aerial with an amplifier. High gain aerials can be identified by the X shaped elements. Extra high gain aerials have more X shaped elements. None of the aerials designed for caravanners are high gain or extra high gain and don't work well when from transmitters.

Freeview boxes use digital signals which are more sensitive to signal strength than analogue.

It comes down to how big an aerial you're prepared to find space for.
Thanks Rogert,

A very informative reply. I never actually thought of it that way. Now i know. I have this afternoon bought a bosster from Argosmaybe that might help.

Thanks again for replying.

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS