Will / Could the Alko Stabalizer handle hit the spare wheel o...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a general question please, does anyone have or had a problem and if so how has this been overcome? I am looking at various cars including 4x4's and noticed this could be a potential problem, would hate to find this out after getting the car!

In particular Nissan Terrano, Frontera or Land Rover?

Thanks

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
We have a freelander and yes the Alko handle does hit the spare wheel stopping you unhitching the caravan, you can hitch or unhitch it by reversing on an angle or removing the spare wheel which is a pain in the back-side, so we decided to invest in a removable handle from Alko i think it cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had the Freelander I fitted an inch spacer behind the towball, this then gave the clearance to lift the Alko handle and hitching/unhitching was no problem. The back door on vehicles like the Terrano are higher so will clear the a-frame when opening, so by opening the rear door the alko handle will open fully.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed Wayne - as an "extra" theft deterent this works well.

However, as someone who has two dogs that travel with us in the back of the Discovery I find the rear door a real pain compared to the horizontal rear upper and lower tailgate of my old Range Rover.

Problem is when towing you cannot open the door fully as it fouls the raised jockey wheel. This was not a problem on the Range Rover as the lower tailgate, when down, sat an inch or two above the jockey wheel handle.

It is not a huge problem to lower it out of the way - just a chore on long journeys when we and the dogs need a "comfort break".

Somebody said that you can get a jockey wheel attachment that allows the thing to be turned 90 degrees when not in use/towing.

Anyone come accross one of these?

So, Homer and Marge - you are wise to check these points out before you purchase.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With my Freelander I used to angle car and caravan and open rear door to hitch and unhitch. This worked fine until on an uneven grass pitch when I couldn't open the rear door. We now have the alko removeable handle, which we bought on the last day of the NEC show last February for a knock down price. It makes life so much easier.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
hi h+m

we had this problem on our terrano and a 2 inch spacer sorted it no problems.in my opinion stick with the jap cars less hassle all round.my mates s reg fsh frontera has just given up the game at 80,000 m and never towed!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for answering on the Terrano Lee as we are due to see one this morning and I was considering not going when I first thought of the possible clash problem. I would be grateful if you could let me know what Terrano you have and how you have got on generally?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies to date, seems there is a fix for most cars and the detachable alko hitch sounds good. We have to pitch up in a very busy street so revesing at an angle would be a problem at home for us. Anyway it all sounds better than having to remove the spare wheel!

Thanks

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi H&M

Not the same car but I have a Honda CRV and I can just about hitch & unhitch without having to approach at an angle. We have a Witter detatchable towbar which I think is slightly longer that a standard bolt on type. The Alko detachable handle is a rip off, just use the appropriate star key to remove the red part of the standard handle just before you hitch up and it gives you a few morw inches to play with, replace it once hitched up and screw up tight. I sometimes do this to give myself a bit more room and to ensure that the friction pads are not binding on the ball as the hitch drops on.

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes - we have a Ford Maverick (same as Nissan Terrano but different badge) and ours hits. We just open the door to hitch up and unhitch. As soon as we've hitched just close the door and push down to lock on. Doesn't give us much problems at all.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We too have a Freelander Td4 and got ourselves one of those removable handles. No problem now.

By the way, the drop down rear window is a real boon when reversing to hitch up, as the driver can clearly hear the person seeing him/her back.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for answering on the Terrano Lee as we are due to see one this morning and I was considering not going when I first thought of the possible clash problem. I would be grateful if you could let me know what Terrano you have and how you have got on generally?
hi h+m we had an old 93 model terrano and found it great to tow but was heavy on fuel due to engine being the old 2.7 turbo diesal.the newer terrano`s are a lot better.we test drove a 53 reg sport model yesterday and are thinking are having it as the newer 3.0 engine pulls like a train.we`ve looked at other 4x4`s but the wife just loves the terrano as it does`nt feel as big as other 4x4`s and finds it easier to reverse etc(she`s only 5 feet tall).we`ve looked at recently a shogun(to big and looks dated)a terracan(to big)a sorento(perfect but out our price range)all the wife`s comments as she drives the car more than me.as for problems just few problems with electric window controls.we broke down in our renault last year and i asked the rac bloke what cars he`d recomend to buy and he said anything japenese you cant go wrong so we did just that.generally its been a good car to us as with anyhing ifits looked after.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had 3 shoguns with rear wheel on door, best way round the problem was to replace the alko with a winterhoff. The winterhoff to relaese lifts up and backwards and therefore clears the wheel.

We have decided not to use a 4x4 for towing due to the backlash against them and will use a large estate or mpv for towing

reagrds

colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had 3 shoguns with rear wheel on door, best way round the problem was to replace the alko with a winterhoff. The winterhoff to relaese lifts up and backwards and therefore clears the wheel.

We have decided not to use a 4x4 for towing due to the backlash against them and will use a large estate or mpv for towing

reagrds

colin
Colin, will you also stop traveling on trains and buses and aeroplanes in case of terrorism? Because that's what these campaigns against 4x4s are, albeit in a minor form. No protest group will make me stop doing what I enjoy, until it becomes illegal. Shame on you!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On my Fronters I had the Brink removable ball which seems a bit longer than others. It used to foul the alko stabiliser with the knuckle on it [2003 i think]. However the newer version with the curved plastic bit was fine and I could hitch up no problem

Jul 17, 2006
Visit site
All very good solutions, instead of buying the 4x4 handle I just unscrewed the original handly and keep it in the car and then slide it on and off as and when I hitch and unhitch works a treat.

Bernie

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi colin

we have a winterhoff hitch and towed with a shogun ,we found that hitching up at an acute angle (say on tight pitches)it was nigh on impossible to hitch up,to cure this we bought a kia sorrento ,no spare wheel on back door and door lifts up without fouling hitch or jocky wheel

jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes - we have a Ford Maverick (same as Nissan Terrano but different badge) and ours hits. We just open the door to hitch up and unhitch. As soon as we've hitched just close the door and push down to lock on. Doesn't give us much problems at all.
Thanks J&J ,my van is stored on daughters farm .To park it we use son in laws shogun as its up hill and grass .we have a new bailey with alco stabiliser and last time we had to take spare wheel off .Didnt think of opening the back door . [THANKS ]

Col

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi colin

we have a winterhoff hitch and towed with a shogun ,we found that hitching up at an acute angle (say on tight pitches)it was nigh on impossible to hitch up,to cure this we bought a kia sorrento ,no spare wheel on back door and door lifts up without fouling hitch or jocky wheel

jim
Hi Jim

All our shoguns were post 2000, alko fouls spare wheel, winterhoff never did, the lever pulls back to clear the wheel as opposed to alko which has a straight lift.

regards

colin

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jim

All our shoguns were post 2000, alko fouls spare wheel, winterhoff never did, the lever pulls back to clear the wheel as opposed to alko which has a straight lift.

regards

colin
hi colin

our showgun was a 1993 model,a fantastic tow car without exception,it was only on tight pitches we came across the hitching problem.When we had our old super storm there was never a problem,it was straight forword every time but since uprating the van a 2006model it became more difficult to hitch up even on our drive so to over come this we removed the spare wheel but then where do you put that.So we sold the shogun and bought a kia sorrento end of problem.

jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts