Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 16 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However it cost her £"X" amount to upgrade so she should be entitled to additional help with fuel bills as those people are essential workers. Never mind the type of vehicle as they should be paid per mile as you still have running costs involved.
I don’t understand tge “ upgrade” comment. Aren’t mileage rates independent of the value of the car? I will ask her when I speak today, as the “ladies” in my life are away on holiday and I’m rabbit, hamster and dog sitting shuttling between houses.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t understand tge “ upgrade” comment. Aren’t mileage rates independent of the value of the car? I will ask her when I speak today, as the “ladies” in my life are away on holiday and I’m rabbit, hamster and dog sitting shuttling between houses.
I was referring to the daughter upgrading her vehicle to make it more economical. Regardless of that, she should be paid the going rate plus taking into consideration the extra one needs to pay for fuel now as fuel has gone up by over 30%.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s correct but they haven’t had a mileage allowance increase for over twelve months maybe two years. Clive will know

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to the daughter upgrading her vehicle to make it more economical. Regardless of that, she should be paid the going rate plus taking into consideration the extra one needs to pay for fuel now as fuel has gone up by over 30%.
The going rate hasnt changed and is based on mileage bands, value of vehicle isn’t a consideration and I’m not sure if mileage rate varies with engine size or emmisions, but I think she did tell me a while back that the rates were targeted at lower emmisions vehicles so as not to encourage users to buy gas guzzlers. Then there’s the HMRC input that affects rates over a certain annual business mileage whereby above the mileage band the mileage rate is reduced.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The going rate hasnt changed and is based on mileage bands, value of vehicle isn’t a consideration and I’m not sure if mileage rate varies with engine size or emmisions, but I think she did tell me a while back that the rates were targeted at lower emmisions vehicles so as not to encourage users to buy gas guzzlers. Then there’s the HMRC input that affects rates over a certain annual business mileage whereby above the mileage band the mileage rate is reduced.
The amount reimbursed by an organisation to its employees is an entirely private matter between employee and employer. HMRC, however, rule that for a private vehicle, reimbursement of business miles are subject to tax relief of 45p per mile up to 10k miles per tax year, and 25p per mile there after.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here are the current mileage rates for NHS stag using a private vehicle.

My daughter has a lease car via the NHS so her mileage rate varies from those in the link above. It is 12 pence per mile. Despite her fuel costs rising along with everyone else’s it’s a bargain compared to running her 2014 Focus which had had a Powershift gearbox rebuild, and a full replacement too. These were covered under a warranty extension by Ford but the hassle in getting it addressed was not good, and even with the new gearbox it never felt that everything was working okay and it did not inspire confidence with its unsteady changes. Now she has carefree motoring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought that the price of a barrel of oil had dropped so why has the cost at the pump increased. Are they looking for a Jubilee bonus and taking advantage of us?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that the price of a barrel of oil had dropped so why has the cost at the pump increased. Are they looking for a Jubilee bonus and taking advantage of us?
The price has gone up over the last week on account of world demand increasing again ( Memorial Day, Western Europe holiday seasons, China easing covid restrictions in Shanghai. and other cities) plus the move of of negotiations by the EU to embargo Russian oil now agreed. So don’t expect a fall anytime soon.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our local Tesco that sells Esso has increased petrol to 179.9 whilst keeping diesel at 182.9 yet for some weeks the difference has been anywhere between 8-12 pence with diesel the more expensive. Wonder if they are trying to retain and/or poach diesel customers to the detriment of petrol users.

No problems for us as an Esso independent about 3/4 mile along the road has only gone up to 171.9. today.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our local Tesco that sells Esso has increased petrol to 179.9 whilst keeping diesel at 182.9 yet for some weeks the difference has been anywhere between 8-12 pence with diesel the more expensive. Wonder if they are trying to retain and/or poach diesel customers to the detriment of petrol users.

No problems for us as an Esso independent about 3/4 mile along the road has only gone up to 171.9. today.

Today I paid £1.809 for a litre. So expensive weekend even before we leave!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I drove by the same Tesco Express last night and the Esso price for petrol had risen from 179.9 on Tuesday to 183.9 last night. The diesel remains at 182.9. That’s the first time I have seen petrol more expensive than diesel in this country for a very long time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
After the Jubilee weekend we will probably see a drop in prices. In the meantime they need to take advantage of the motorist!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I drove by the same Tesco Express last night and the Esso price for petrol had risen from 179.9 on Tuesday to 183.9 last night. The diesel remains at 182.9. That’s the first time I have seen petrol more expensive than diesel in this country for a very long time.

Possibly reflecting the date of the respective fuel deliveries?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Possibly reflecting the date of the respective fuel deliveries?
It must be, but for a while now they have been noticeably more expensive than an independent Esso two minutes drive away. I’ve just got back from Sainsbury as the rabbits were out of spring greens and bean, and Sainsbury unleaded was 169.9 so I filled up the runabout with a supermarket unleaded( shock horror but it has a 7 year warranty), and the nearby Esso independent was 172.9, so why folks use the Tesco Esso at their price is beyond me, yet their forecourt was busy as I drove by on my way home.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you use a Tesco bank credit card you get extra points on top of the standard club card points,

Very little helps🤪🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Or on some fuel card scheme, probably one funded by a third party.
Whilst I could not confirm one way or another but I wouldn’t think a two thirds full forecourt would have a fuel card. Probably just people who think that they get a good deal on their Tesco Club card points.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Must admit I do feel the bank holiday has been the problem of late and retailers have increased prices because they can.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Must admit I do feel the bank holiday has been the problem of late and retailers have increased prices because they can.
Yesterday at about 11.30am the service station nearest to Frampton Severn had fuel at £1.84 a litre This morning at about the same time it was £1.79!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts