Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 18 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think most people would have some financial threshold for the cost of fuel that will make them think twice about some caravanning trips, It's a question of what each person's threshold is and what affects it. It may not be a stationary value, and it will almost certainly be affected by other events, such as loosing or changing an income stream, Other rising costs which reduce the available funds for caravanning, and that of course could include rising site fees. Unforeseen extra expenses such as find care for a loved one etc.
The cost of fuel, or rising costs in general, won't directly affect our caravanning but they will affect the legacy our son gets eventually - and we're continuing to support him and has family based on present needs, not future ones.

The one change we've made is to drive more slowly which saved about 10% of fuel costs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The cost of fuel, or rising costs in general, won't directly affect our caravanning but they will affect the legacy our son gets eventually - and we're continuing to support him and has family based on present needs, not future ones.

The one change we've made is to drive more slowly which saved about 10% of fuel costs.
Agreed,this afternoon I took my granddaughter to Bristol for her driving theory test. Her mum much prefers me to use the Subaru if I’m taking our granddaughter any distance. So I just drove at a steady 60-65 mph and got around 36 mpg which is not bad for my wheels. Coventry next on Monday. No one told me that relatives could be so expensive. 😂

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Agreed,this afternoon I took my granddaughter to Bristol for her driving theory test. Her mum much prefers me to use the Subaru if I’m taking our granddaughter any distance. So I just drove at a steady 60-65 mph and got around 36 mpg which is not bad for my wheels. Coventry next on Monday. No one told me that relatives could be so expensive. 😂

It's a cliffhanger. Did she pass”

😁

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a cliffhanger. Did she pass”

😁

John
I sat outside and a stream of sad faces came out and got into waiting cars. You get 53 minutes for the 50 theory questions and then time for the 14 hazard perception videos. She was out in 30 minutes and beaming having got 47/50 for the questions and 65/75 on hazard perception. So she’s now looking to book her test. She was 17 last week and bought herself a nice Peugeot 208 before her birthday but of course it couldn’t be driven. Her Dad had given her some lessons though on private ground in his Transit Custom. After her first proper driving lesson the instructor said she was fine to go out in her car on L plates. Unfortunately neither my wife or myself can accompany her as her Learner Policy at £800 has an age limit for accompanying drivers of 72 years.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think most people would have some financial threshold for the cost of fuel that will make them think twice about some caravanning trips, It's a question of what each person's threshold is and what affects it. It may not be a stationary value, and it will almost certainly be affected by other events, such as loosing or changing an income stream, Other rising costs which reduce the available funds for caravanning, and that of course could include rising site fees. Unforeseen extra expenses such as find care for a loved one etc.
Sales of new and used caravans continues to run at record levels according to the press. I wonder when the bubble will burst and some terrific used bargains come onto the market at give away prices🤔

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......the market value of used caravans is driven by the cost of new ones and their cost has risen dramatically and unlikely to fall.
IMO the cost of used caravans is also unlikely to fall.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It would seem that despite your first paragraph where you imply the cost of fuel won't affect your caravanning, yet in the your second you tell us you are driving more slowly presumably to offset the higher cost of fuel. Assuming you also drop your towing speed for the same reason, then technically the cost of fuel will limit your caravanning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It would seem that despite your first paragraph where you imply the cost of fuel won't affect your caravanning, yet in the your second you tell us you are driving more slowly presumably to offset the higher cost of fuel. Assuming you also drop your towing speed for the same reason, then technically the cost of fuel will limit your caravanning.
I hardly think that a slight reduction in towing speed can be considered to “ limit your caravanning “. Dropping to around 55 mph can give up to 10 % saving in fuel compared to trying to keep a steady 60 mph on motorways, yet make virtually no difference to journey times. Some years back I tended to keep speed around 55 mph particularly on our crowded sections of motorway and not only did it save fuel but actually the drive was more relaxed as I wasn’t continually looking to overtake HGV s which invariably sees you up to 65 mph unless you like being a hogger in lane 2.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nit picking at statements made by fellow members to score imaginary points for yourself really does you no credit Prof.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Taking longer to get there isn't limiting our caravanning - our recent Scottish trip was over 1000 miles towing with another 1300 miles touring around over the 4 weeks we were away.

We'd normally go to Scotland for 7 weeks but this year's reduction is to allow catching up of hospital appointments deferred during the Pandemic, not because of fuel cost.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two new tyres cost me £40 more than the two last November. Apparently the fitter told me caused by the fuel rises😜. So there are knock on costs .😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Two new tyres cost me £40 more than the two last November. Apparently the fitter told me caused by the fuel rises😜. So there are knock on costs .😥
There are knock on costs everywhere and it would be hard to describe something that doesn’t have knock on costs. When HMG say inflation should reduce next year that’s only because the higher locked in costs are over 12 months old since they were counted against the inflation index. It could be several years before before we may see a real terms reduction……if ever ☹

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......we are away in the caravan at the moment.
Two site trip to near Shaftesbury first and then on to near Witney.
First site £15/ night farm CL....second commercial site £24/night.
Consider both to be good value helping to pay for fuel!
.....of an age now where very conscious that " you can't take it with you" so we just smile and pay:)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just seen this in the press. Not sure of the truth. Any thoughts? Pay at pump charges your CC £1.00 before you even start.
Not me personally but something on another Forum.

This is an unfair charge that could lead to people entering unarranged overdraft and occurring extra credit card/debit card fees or even being left with no way to purchase fuel. I have, myself, been charged because of this issue.
When you buy at the pump, the banks used to make a small £1 charge to check your card then refund it. But now they are automatically ringfencing £99 before you can get petrol, it is wholly unacceptable.
This should be outlawed as people are going to find these charges on their accounts without realising this.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just seen this in the press. Not sure of the truth. Any thoughts? Pay at pump charges your CC £1.00 before you even start.
Not me personally but something on another Forum.

This is an unfair charge that could lead to people entering unarranged overdraft and occurring extra credit card/debit card fees or even being left with no way to purchase fuel. I have, myself, been charged because of this issue.
When you buy at the pump, the banks used to make a small £1 charge to check your card then refund it. But now they are automatically ringfencing £99 before you can get petrol, it is wholly unacceptable.
This should be outlawed as people are going to find these charges on their accounts without realising this.
That's not an extra charge - it's the pre-authorisation which is removed when the fuel transaction goes through.

Whether it's a £1 or £99 depends on the filling station.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taking longer to get there isn't limiting our caravanning - our recent Scottish trip was over 1000 miles towing with another 1300 miles touring around over the 4 weeks we were away.

We'd normally go to Scotland for 7 weeks but this year's reduction is to allow catching up of hospital appointments deferred during the Pandemic, not because of fuel cost.

I'm sorry you took my last comment that way you did, It was not intended to be criticism, just a comment about an apparent ambiguity. based on the context of the thread, your reference to a fuel cost saving seemed to imply it was deliberate act to reduce the impact of fuel cost rises.

Reactions: Parksy
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We are already changing plans and cancelled a big tour this summer which would cost £250 more in fuel than last year. So we'll save that for the future when we hope prices will drop.

Luckily we live in a lovely area of the country and can holiday within 50 miles of home quite happily.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's not an extra charge - it's the pre-authorisation which is removed when the fuel transaction goes through.

Whether it's a £1 or £99 depends on the filling station.

I can’t see a problem as this was discussed as a thread a while back. The £99 is now becoming a problem for those with larger fuel tanks, but the £99 limit has been in for ages. Perhaps the fuel stations will seek to increase it in the way that contactless was increased. But aren’t there two options. One use a different card for the second purchase required to top up the tank, or just fill it up and pay at the desk.
I’ve known pubs validate your card with £1 but you do get it back when the bill is paid.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I can’t see a problem as this was discussed as a thread a while back. The £99 is now becoming a problem for those with larger fuel tanks, but the £99 limit has been in for ages. Perhaps the fuel stations will seek to increase it in the way that contactless was increased. But aren’t there two options. One use a different card for the second purchase required to top up the tank, or just fill it up and pay at the desk.
I’ve known pubs validate your card with £1 but you do get it back when the bill is paid.
Not me Clive , but some people found they were charged the one pound but had insufficient funds for £99.00 . Card got rejected but the £1 charge was allocated. The matter is under review as we type.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not me Clive , but some people found they were charged the one pound but had insufficient funds for £99.00 . Card got rejected but the £1 charge was allocated. The matter is under review as we type.
But isn’t the £99 a cap, so they could fill with a lesser amount and their card would be charged the amount filled into the car. Or am I missing something?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But isn’t the £99 a cap, so they could fill with a lesser amount and their card would be charged the amount filled into the car. Or am I missing something?

Yes you missed something Clive. We guys are lucky! A large group of the U.K. have CC nearly maxed out . £99.00 takes them beyond their credit limit. They get bounced and pay £1.00 for the attempt. It’s under review as I type.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes you missed something Clive. We guys are lucky! A large group of the U.K. have CC nearly maxed out . £99.00 takes them beyond their credit limit. They get bounced and pay £1.00 for the attempt. It’s under review as I type.
Dusty thanks for the explanation. I see what the problem could be.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I simply use two cards at Asda Pay-at-pump as there's no kiosk option.

There is an issue with pre-authorising £99 where that takes card holders over their credit limit - it'll either generate interest or have the transaction refused - but for anyone not operating that close to their credit limit, it's not a problem.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did wonder if it would become a problem and it looks like t might be. You would probably be best to stop as you approach £99 as even at todays prices you will be near enough full. I suspect the petrol retailers will have to rethink the limit but if you want to exceed £99 you may have to use the kiosk, which is still there in most cases and abandon ASDA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts