Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 19 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I simply use two cards at Asda Pay-at-pump as there's no kiosk option.

There is an issue with pre-authorising £99 where that takes card holders over their credit limit - it'll either generate interest or have the transaction refused - but for anyone not operating that close to their credit limit, it's not a problem.
If the £99 takes your card over it’s limit can you cancel the transaction and use the card in the kiosk/shop, or is a stop put on the card.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the £99 takes your card over it’s limit can you cancel the transaction and use the card in the kiosk/shop, or is a stop put on the card.
I think we need someone who has done that to tell us. Presumably where there is no kiosk the pump should stop at the limit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although we are only going away end of next week, I think I will be filling up the Jeep today before the prices get any higher. We will mainly use the small car until we go away.
I think we will need to try and make the tank stretch and not gallivant around like we normally do and for the tank to last until we return 10 days later. Round grip of about 180 miles at 20mpg.
Also noticed that fuel is about 4p per litre more expensive at our destination in Somerset than it is at home. Normally I always make sure that when we leave on a trip that the tank is brim full, but not this time!
We have also cancelled our trip down to Dorset where we were going to stay for two weeks!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming here to our present site at Boston we got 32 mpg because i went a bit slower on these country roads and we passed some petrol stations199.9 diesel and another near where we are 197.9 diesel about the same at home .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm juat about to book a sol Autumn road trip, about 1800 miles, after our caravan season has finished - fuel will be even more expensive next year !!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
High fuel costs will have an impact on the hospitality trade again. If you check Hurn Lane CAMC site have vacancies in July and August for all different types of pitches which is unusual.
Locally we like to go to a pub in Malvern for lunch, but the pub is a 28 mile round trip so we now use one just up the road. Not as nice, but okay for food plus we no longer see our friends at the Malvern pub.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I
High fuel costs will have an impact on the hospitality trade again. If you check Hurn Lane CAMC site have vacancies in July and August for all different types of pitches which is unusual.
Locally we like to go to a pub in Malvern for lunch, but the pub is a 28 mile round trip so we now use one just up the road. Not as nice, but okay for food plus we no longer see our friends at the Malvern pub.
If we take our runabout a 28 mile round trip would use just about half a gallon. So that’s tends to be our approach, with the Subaru used more rarely these days.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
So we just sold the Volvo V60 PHEV. We no longer needed it along side the Polestar EV. Two large cars made no sense. It's gone to the FiL and MiL (also caravaners) to replace their Freelander which is now 10 years old. They are happy doing local electric miles and will use the diesel part for their Devon and Continental trip later this year. We are replacing with a 2nd much much smaller EV (Fiat 500 EC) which will be both fun to drive and cheap enough to insure the children on. Still have the Picanto 1l for the youngest while she learns to drive, then that will either go, or be donated to one of the kids.

Electric only is on the horizon...

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Kia C!eed 1.6 turbo Diesel lean burn . £30 road tax pa . Does a lot of ordinary trips. With no effort 50mpg is easy 60 when very careful. The later model is zero road tax, clean burn. So in our case we don’t worry too much about where we go. I am told the Ad blue is reducing the NO from the Touareg by 99%. .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kia C!eed 1.6 turbo Diesel lean burn . £30 road tax pa . Does a lot of ordinary trips. With no effort 50mpg is easy 60 when very careful. The later model is zero road tax, clean burn. So in our case we don’t worry too much about where we go. I am told the Ad blue is reducing the NO from the Touareg by 99%. .
Our Rio is 1.25 manual and also is only £30pa VED. Incredible low fuel consumption and cheap servicing with three years still to run on warranty. What’s not to like.
I see Kia took 1 and 3rd place in the recent JD Power survey on new cars. In fact the result list was similar to previous years ……Korean or Japanese in the upper echelon positions.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A grandaughters boy friend is bucking the trend with a 15 reg BMW M5, not sure what engine but it has twin exhausts. Massive amount of car for the money. But so riddiculus.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours is a 1996 Corolla 1300 with CVT box and air con. Done about 117k and still gets in excess of 40mpg so do not see any need to change to something more modern at this time. :D

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've still got my trusty 2009 Kia Sorento 2.5crdi that I tow the caravan with, and out of my retirement lump sum about 5 years ago I bought a used 2013 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 econo. diesel.
I get all the bells and whistles, and weeks pass by without the Fiesta needing a fill up when I use it for local runs.
It's £0 ved and on a good run it will easily return over 55+ mpg.
I use it as my daily drive and supermarket chariot, although we get the heavier bulkier items delivered these days.
I'd thought about selling the Fiesta but I'm happy to have changed my mind now that fuel prices have escalated sharply.
The only drawback with the Fiesta is that it's not ULEZ compliant, so on the rare occasions that I enter the Birmingham 'Fleece the motorist' zone I use the old Kia which is exempt because the ved is disability taxed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife car a Mitsubishi Colt attivo 1.1 manual the only drawback it not cheap on car tax but she gets 55 mpg and she owned it a 11 years and it been brilliant so far

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts