Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 21 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think we all know historically there have been some wide variations in the cost at filling stations in different parts of the country. Clearly we can still see that is still the case now, and unless there is some intervention by Government to fix the pump prices (not going to happen) the variations will continue due to competitive retail pricing by the sellers.

Most drivers will know which stations in their locality usually offer the best prices. Is there any practical use for posters to keep listing the ongoing price changes? It tedious and not very helpful. I doubt anyone is mad enough to want to travel halfway across the country just to save a few pence per litre?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is there any practical use for posters to keep listing the ongoing price changes? It tedious and not very helpful. I doubt anyone is mad enough to want to travel halfway across the country just to save a few pence per litre?
Whilst I don’t wish to see this turning into the previous daily weather reports I am interested in the price variance country wide.
A lot of the Esso and BP stations are owned by large family companies whose middle names are “Greedy”. They have continued their extortionate pricing policy whilst others are reducing. In Bath this morning a small private Esso station had diesel at £1.84.9. A greedy BP was £1.91.9🤬
We have a number of long journeys coming up. The updates on here will help us choose where best to fill up on each trip. Knowledge is a valuable thing. Keep them coming👍👍

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I don’t wish to see this turning into the previous daily weather reports I am interested in the price variance country wide.
A lot of the Esso and BP stations are owned by large family companies whose middle names are “Greedy”. They have continued their extortionate pricing policy whilst others are reducing. In Bath this morning a small private Esso station had diesel at £1.84.9. A greedy BP was £1.91.9🤬
We have a number of long journeys coming up. The updates on here will help us choose where best to fill up on each trip. Knowledge is a valuable thing. Keep them coming👍👍
https://www.petrolprices.com/ is very useful to identify trends by area - but needs checking immediately before travel as prices change daily.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whereas in Melksham BP petrol is 173.9 and diesel 182.9 which is considerably cheaper than branded Esso just 8 miles along the A350. I now only keep a 50% tank and fill up when I see a decent price.

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have started to do the same as OC, except when I went away in the van last week, started with a full tank of fuel, dropped the caravan back to storage yesterday afternoon and went into Tesco and fuelled up with just £50, just in case there is a dramatic drop in prices. I live in hope.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anyone in the Hawes , Wensleydale area will like this.

Attachments

• 984605FF-AC6C-4622-A50D-51BA097910C1.jpeg
    984605FF-AC6C-4622-A50D-51BA097910C1.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 15
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Passed our local BP station and it was down to £168.9 for petrol. Not sure how long it will stay there as they have a habit of prices changing daily but it is cheaper than Supermarkets at the moment.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Anyone in the Hawes , Wensleydale area will like this.
Kay and I passed through Hawes on Monday and saw that price. We are no strangers to the area, and that garage is always as reasonable as can be (I won’t say cheap because at the moment we’re seriously having our legs lifted). It’s community owned and so isn’t out to make huge profits. It’s a pity that there aren’t more like this.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kay and I passed through Hawes on Monday and saw that price. We are no strangers to the area, and that garage is always as reasonable as can be (I won’t say cheap because at the moment we’re seriously having our legs lifted). It’s community owned and so isn’t out to make huge profits. It’s a pity that there aren’t more like this.
Cheaper than North Wiltshire🤪

Reactions: NigelHutson
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think the cost of fuel has slowed people up from going away. Most sites seem to be almost full at the weekends, thankfully we can get away during the week.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the cost of fuel has slowed people up from going away. Most sites seem to be almost full at the weekends, thankfully we can get away during the week.
What may put people off is the cost of pitches increasing due to cost of electric which has a knock on effect on Cost of Living.
You need electric to power fuel pumps, lights for the shop etc so pushes up price of fuel again. Then there is a the cost of food etc whether at home or away.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What may put people off is the cost of pitches increasing due to cost of electric which has a knock on effect on Cost of Living.
You need electric to power fuel pumps, lights for the shop etc so pushes up price of fuel again. Then there is a the cost of food etc whether at home or away.
So my small CL near Harrogate is £20 per night but payg electricity via a slot meter at domestic rates. Best way forward imo.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So my small CL near Harrogate is £20 per night but payg electricity via a slot meter at domestic rates. Best way forward imo.
I think we're going to see a lot of sites moving to PAYG electric - mostly at commercial rates as it's only CL/CS run as a hobby that pay domestic rates of energy - it will at least be fair on those (of us) who are careful with energy use.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My last time out, three weeks go, I did notice many folk using the new types of electric BBQ's/ hotplates, On a three day trip I use a small Gas BBQ, rather than the Cadac, which for the two of us is fine, The site has put its prices up £5 from last year but not metered Yet. But still free hot showers and hot water for washing up.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My last time out, three weeks go, I did notice many folk using the new types of electric BBQ's/ hotplates, On a three day trip I use a small Gas BBQ, rather than the Cadac, which for the two of us is fine, The site has put its prices up £5 from last year but not metered Yet. But still free hot showers and hot water for washing up.

That won’t last long😥

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts