Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 20 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot is down to how you drive. My youngest daughter has a 1 litre Civic and gets only slightl0y less than I do from my 2 litre petrol Mazda 6. 55 from the Colt though looks very good.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know I said a few months ago that the fuel prices would NOT change our touring, but with the latest prices make me think that we will probably go shorter distances, maybe 60 /100 miles away and stay for two weeks at a time rather than just the Monday to Fridays.
Tesco Milton Keynes today £197.9 for diesel fuel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know I said a few months ago that the fuel prices would NOT change our touring, but with the latest prices make me think that we will probably go shorter distances, maybe 60 /100 miles away and stay for two weeks at a time rather than just the Monday to Fridays.
Tesco Milton Keynes today £197.9 for diesel fuel.
At the latter part of July I am looking at a 3 night break on a small site near Ely. I can visit IWM Duxford, Ely Cathedral, Cromwells House and Wicken Fen.

The pitch costs £36, the petrol £114 based on 35 mpg. Looks like I will have to go easy on the food, and drink courtesy of Lidls BYOB. 🤣

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the latter part of July I am looking at a 3 night break on a small site near Ely. I can visit IWM Duxford, Ely Cathedral, Cromwells House and Wicken Fen.

The pitch costs £36, the petrol £114 based on 35 mpg. Looks like I will have to go easy on the food, and drink courtesy of Lidls BYOB. 🤣

Looking at the overall cost for the break including own food/drink, admission charges etc the fuel is about half of the total. Taking the Rio would reduce fuel cost by 40% approx, but then my wife would probably use the Subaru and negate some or all of that saving. 😱

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we came home a few days ago manage to fill up at Asda diesel fuel £195.9 But passing our Tesco diesel fuel was £199.9 yesterday
We have now started going on shorter distances on breaks and only Sunday to Friday

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our local Tesco that sells Esso has been charging well over the norm for a couple of months. Today as I drove by the whole forecourt area was closed off and a sign announcing closure until the end of September. Local Facebook “ rumours” think it’s being part converted to EV charging, which I find a bit difficult to understand as a very nearby Lidl with two charging points only seems to attract British Gas EV vans.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
In answer to the original question - 'No'. While it pains me to pay the current amounts life is too short to give in.

We had a thought yesterday about caravan vs motorhome - we've had both. Our motorhome averaged about 36mpg, whereas our car averages in the high 50s to low 60s mpg when not towing and about 34mpg when towing.

So the thought was that with a motorhome your always getting the low mileage, whereas with a caravan once your on site any touring you do is at a better mpg rate. We used to try and plan trips in the motorhome that allowed us to use public transport - which in Scotland the buses are free to use for us.

Could we see a switch away from motorhomes towards caravans?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In answer to the original question - 'No'. While it pains me to pay the current amounts life is too short to give in.

We had a thought yesterday about caravan vs motorhome - we've had both. Our motorhome averaged about 36mpg, whereas our car averages in the high 50s to low 60s mpg when not towing and about 34mpg when towing.

So the thought was that with a motorhome your always getting the low mileage, whereas with a caravan once your on site any touring you do is at a better mpg rate. We used to try and plan trips in the motorhome that allowed us to use public transport - which in Scotland the buses are free to use for us.

To us the beauty of the caravan was space , and once on site you are free to explore an area into places no motorhome could venture. Also no packing up required when going out for the day. But two couples we know love their motor homes and plan their holidays accordingly. I think the key thing is that either vehicle gives you the opportunity to get out and enjoy places within your own private residence. In the words of the “fisherman”………..Each to their own.
(the gender neutral version 😱)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raywood
May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think the current problem is cars are getting lighter and caravans bigger and the two do not compute. EV's once they get the range are heavy and could see a return to caravans rather than motorhomes longer term but who knows for sure.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

I have always fancy a motorhome but it would have to be automatic but worried i would only get 20mpg and we would have to tow a small car so i stay with the caravan and getting 32mpg when towing .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....still possible to enjoy caravanning without breaking the bank :cool:

Went on a CAMC 2 day rally last weekend.
Very convenient to attend.....booked online with the local Centre one week before when we were sure the weather would be good.....no deposit required and paid the fee of £18.40 for the two nights with a credit card on arrival. (they have a portable online payment device).
No toilet block and off grid.... used about £4 of gas over the 2 days.
Towing distance was 44 miles in total, so used about 9 litres of diesel for the trip.
Only 7 caravans on site..... all socially mixing in the evenings and enjoying a
:beermug::wineglass:

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We are recently returned from a trip to Spain , cut no corners with ferries or sites.
80 nights £5200 (including supermarket shopping we would do at home) of which fuel was £657. Cheap at the price in the scheme of things, last package holiday was over £4k for 2 weeks.
So the answers no we only live once .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
.....still possible to enjoy caravanning without breaking the bank :cool:

Went on a CAMC 2 day rally last weekend.
Very convenient to attend.....booked online with the local Centre one week before when we were sure the weather would be good.....no deposit required and paid the fee of £18.40 for the two nights with a credit card on arrival. (they have a portable online payment device).
No toilet block and off grid.... used about £4 of gas over the 2 days.
Towing distance was 44 miles in total, so used about 9 litres of diesel for the trip.
Only 7 caravans on site..... all socially mixing in the evenings and enjoying a
:beermug::wineglass:
Hi Bill pleased you had a great time and very good value

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just topped up the tank with premium at £2.09 a litre. Eye watering! The normal diesel was £1.96, but at the Esso we normally use it is down to £1.93. Price includes the silly irrational .009p.

Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
Will fuel prices limit your touring? If it was just the fuel going up , then no, but it's not just fuel is it? The economy of our country seems to be falling off a cliff and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. We have planned our trips so that we don't travel as far and we have also been looking for cheaper sites. TBH it hasn't made any difference to our enjoyment of our 'hobby' though what the situation will be like after we have been through the winter remains to be seen.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
There's been some suggestion in the news and one which I can partially verify that some of the rural filling stations are passing on the reduction in fuel prices quicker than those stations in built up areas and from the main suppliers Esso, BP etc.

Just recently on a trip to Inverness the diesel was £1.93 at Tescos and Morrisons. Our local village independent was £1.88. Even the Coop on the island was £1.90.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There's been some suggestion in the news and one which I can partially verify that some of the rural filling stations are passing on the reduction in fuel prices quicker than those stations in built up areas and from the main suppliers Esso, BP etc.

Just recently on a trip to Inverness the diesel was £1.93 at Tescos and Morrisons. Our local village independent was £1.88. Even the Coop on the island was £1.90.
I noticed that last weekend when up by Lutterworth. nearly 5p cheaper than our local fuel stations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts