Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 14 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lets have a think…

Big gas guzzling 4x4 to tow caravan
Caravan that costs more than most people earn

Nope, I'm not getting why £145 is an issue - if it is, maybe caravanning isn't for them and they should buy a tent?
[/Q

You won’t like me!
I have a big 4x4.
My caravan was paid for by my own hard earned money.
No . I don’t want a tent.
Why are you so provocative?
Maybe this Forum isn’t for you?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely we are feeling the pinch from all sides. But, I cannot help thinking, for us it is no great issue. Yes we will need to consider our purchases and expenditure more carefully.

But. I feel it is to be expected, Massive covid expenditure, fuel prices with knock on affects and a war to help with. My concern is for the many who, for whatever reason, are truly struggling. Pensionairs relying on just the old age pension. Disabled people and others who are reliant on the state. I don’t mind having to tighten my belt a bit. Though far from wealthy, we can afford to heat and eat.

John

Reactions: Sueh
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets have a think…

Big gas guzzling 4x4 to tow caravan
Caravan that costs more than most people earn

Nope, I'm not getting why £145 is an issue - if it is, maybe caravanning isn't for them and they should buy a tent?
Even in that suggestion I am ahead of you. 😂

8DFD97A9-2A66-4138-9A8B-F937A119A238.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't regard parking in a farmers field with a slurry pit and a standpipe acceptable in 2022.
I caravan to be comfortable, not exist at an itinerant level.
You have clearly had some very poor experiences in your caravanning. Fortunately there are a wealth of sites out there that don't match your experience of them.

Reactions: Tobes and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely we are feeling the pinch from all sides. But, I cannot help thinking, for us it is no great issue. Yes we will need to consider our purchases and expenditure more carefully.

But. I feel it is to be expected, Massive covid expenditure, fuel prices with knock on affects and a war to help with. My concern is for the many who, for whatever reason, are truly struggling. Pensionairs relying on just the old age pension. Disabled people and others who are reliant on the state. I don’t mind having to tighten my belt a bit. Though far from wealthy, we can afford to heat and eat.

John
I agree your point on rising prices in general. Yesterday my wife did something whilst ascending the steps at the HRC and hurt her knee so badly that she could not bear any weight on it. So I got her back to the car and finished emptying the soil/rubble into the skip. But by mid afternoon it was even more painful so I took her to the hospital where they were brilliant. No ligament or tendon damage thank heavens just a bad sprain. So she’s basically chair bound.
This morning I ventured to a place I rarely ever go to; a supermarket. On my list was a malted bloomer loaf which we always bought from Lidl at 95 pence. It was now £1.09. Shock horror. But since earlier this year Sainsbury have copied that loaf. It came in as £1.10 15 pence more than Lidl. Now the Sainsbury offering is £1.50. No comparison and when you look at the contents and coloured ‘ heath info” label they are virtually one and the same. We can’t “taste the difference”. If that sort of increase is becoming more the norm it will affect peoples choice.

I can recall when inflation was around 26% and mortgage rates 15-16% and we did have to watch where every penny went, especially since I was working in Canada and the pound slumped against the dollar too, and family were In Devon.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't regard parking in a farmers field with a slurry pit and a standpipe acceptable in 2022.
You clearly have not looked at what a wide range of sites are available on CS or CL. Yes there are basic ones, but there are others that are extremely luxurious and immaculately maintained.

What are your preferred sites and areas?

Reactions: Tobes
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

What is good for one is not for others. My requirements are very different to yours. I try to avoid the regimented gravel covered sites. I don't need a toilet or a shower. The van serves us very well. Toilet emptying points are usually excellent and so long as water it not too far I will enjoy the greenery and the views and the quiet.

You should try it, then comment. I must admit to being on poor CL’s, but it was very many years ago. Now it is easy to research. Last week we were on a CL with 5 lakes. Fishing include, if wanted, water and gray waste on the pitch. Good showers and toilets if required.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I must admit that we've stayed on C&CC rally sites in the past that have been very basic, but there's usually something about the rally that compensates for the basic facilities, or lack of them.
For as little as £8 per night a family could rally at places where caravans wouldn't normally be allowed, such as in the grounds of Weston Park, the deer park at Eastnor Castle, a 1940s themed railway event etc.
Certified Sites (C&CC) or Certified Locations (C&MHC) can vary in quality, but the majority of the CS's that we stay on regularly have toilets, CD points, at least one shower, often more, and best of all, a drinking water tap and grey water drain for each pitch.
In effect we get a fully serviced pitch in a reasonably quiet and scenic location which doesn't cost a fortune.
UK Campsite and similar websites often post site reviews so that you can get an idea of what any site is like from those who've stayed there.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
the deer park at Eastnor Castle, a 1940s themed railway event etc.

Being just 25 mins away, a group of us would head off to Eastnor Friday after work til Sunday evening. 80’s and 90’s. Never any need to book, just turn up, if you were unlucky someone would collect £5 per night, but often they didn't bother. Hundreds went but there was room for treble so never a shortage of space. We made full use of our caravans them days.

It's a bit more organised now as they do a lot more events.

John

Reactions: Parksy

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Last season we went to a 5 CL near Cromer it was all fully service pitches and 16amp hookup and TVhookup awning space hot showers & toilets for £19 per night we love it very good value for money

Then there are some caravanners & motor caravanners that require none of that to find beautiful 5 van sites that for us are just perfect for the way we choose to use and enjoy our vans. Our van was built to be largely automatous, even more so with our solar system.
Fortunately, we don't all want the same.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree your point on rising prices in general. Yesterday my wife did something whilst ascending the steps at the HRC and hurt her knee so badly that she could not bear any weight on it. So I got her back to the car and finished emptying the soil/rubble into the skip. But by mid afternoon it was even more painful so I took her to the hospital where they were brilliant. No ligament or tendon damage thank heavens just a bad sprain. So she’s basically chair bound.
This morning I ventured to a place I rarely ever go to; a supermarket. On my list was a malted bloomer loaf which we always bought from Lidl at 95 pence. It was now £1.09. Shock horror. But since earlier this year Sainsbury have copied that loaf. It came in as £1.10 15 pence more than Lidl. Now the Sainsbury offering is £1.50. No comparison and when you look at the contents and coloured ‘ heath info” label they are virtually one and the same. We can’t “taste the difference”. If that sort of increase is becoming more the norm it will affect peoples choice.

I can recall when inflation was around 26% and mortgage rates 15-16% and we did have to watch where every penny went, especially since I was working in Canada and the pound slumped against the dollar too, and family were In Devon.
We normally do our main buying from LIDL and the top up from Sainsbury or Morrisons. We are finding that the quality from Sainsbury is better and cheaper than Morrisons.
However over the past 4 weeks due to health issues we have been avoiding all supermarkets and getting deliveries from Sainsbury. We have noticed a number of goods creeping up by average 10p or more. Also less specials.
We bake our own bread so have enough bread flour and oil to keep us happy for awhile. :D

Reactions: Sueh
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Then there are some caravanners & motor caravanners that require none of that to find beautiful 5 van sites that for us are just perfect for the way we choose to use and enjoy our vans. Our van was built to be largely automatous, even more so with our solar system.
I agree. The range of CLs with different facilities is fantastic, from the fully serviced style through to the very simple. Some of the best CLs we have stayed on have been no-hookup, waste and water only type. We stayed on three last year, and two with waste, water and hookup only. Three if you count Borrowdale, which is really just a big CL!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We preferred the hard standing service pitches and toilet facilities i haven"t got the solar system but that your choice

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This article may go some ways to explain why pump prices rise when oil barrel prices aren’t going up. Bit like the “ chaos” theory in what’s a globally interconnected market.

Warning though it is from The Guardian. So don’t open the link if this may disturb you 🤣

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good old Guardian. Blame Covid and Nicola Sturgeon who wants to shut down all associated carbon businesses and leave NATO. Raging inflation at 9% will destroy many factors. Maybe time for our Chancellor to review his taxation policies😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good old Guardian. Blame Covid and Nicola Sturgeon who wants to shut down all associated carbon businesses and leave NATO. Raging inflation at 9% will destroy many factors. Maybe time for our Chancellor to review his taxation policies😉

SNP voted strongly in favour of Nato membership some years back, but do not want nuclear weapons in Scotland. As for Covid it must be something put out by fake news over the last two years.

NATO_debate_in_the_Scottish_National_Party

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts