Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 15 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Just had 3 great nights at Newton Grove CL in South Newington, Oxfordshire. Just 25 miles from home but fab for a long weekend. Beautiful off grid CL with picnic benches, fire pits and chimneas available. At just a 50 mile round trip, easily doable on a single charge, with lots left for local trips, before heading home. Fuel cost; about £5.730EDD2D-4A9E-4936-87CE-725C7E7355D4.jpeg

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've just returned from a trip and we'll continue going as its why we retired early and life is too short anyway.

However, our trip took us along well known tourist routes that we are very familiar with and we were suprised at how quiet these were at this time of the year. Normally we're slowed down by rubber knecking tourists - some on the wrong side of the road, Motor Home Convoys and slow Caravaners that wont pull over to let the queue of traffic behind go past.

Is this because of the increased cost of living?

It was also noticeable that the places we visited - a number of National Trust properties and gardens - were also very quiet.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think it’s a number of factors Sam.

The Jubilee is nearly upon us.
The weather hasn’t been that good
The die hards will always go away.
We had three weeks away in March before my Knee op. Bar weekends we were virtually alone.
Yet caravan prices are still high and availability poor. The equation doesn’t balance?
Our next trip is in four weeks time. I expect the site will be quiet.
I wonder if in a few months time as foreign holidays take off the used caravan market will crash? Maybe some great bargains on the horizon.
But we must not forget the site owners . If they fail we are all in the guano😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our son came across from Wales last Friday and commented that the motorway traffic seemed lighter and private vehicles seemed to be sticking to nearer 60-65 mph. Not surpising as today I put 30 litres in at a cost of £50. First top up in three weeks, but still a shock even at 166.9 per litre for Esso E5.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our son came across from Wales last Friday and commented that the motorway traffic seemed lighter and private vehicles seemed to be sticking to nearer 60-65 mph. Not surpising as today I put 30 litres in at a cost of £50. First top up in three weeks, but still a shock even at 166.9 per litre for Esso E5.
We are still paying about £1.80 a litre so 25 litres costs about £40. Going to see the bank manager this morning for a loan so that I can fill up the Jeep!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are still paying about £1.80 a litre so 25 litres costs about £40. Going to see the bank manager this morning for a loan so that I can fill up the Jeep!
Oops I should have said it was E10, at 166.9 per litre for branded E5 I would have filled the tank plus my two 5 litre mower cans too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the range of comments on this thread strongly suggest that most caravanners will perhaps modify their fuel purchasing habits, to find a lower cost, Some may simply swallow teh extra cost becasue they have enough spare income to allow it, but others may reduce the distance they drive, and a few might cancel some outings or even give up completely, so the answere in most case is" yes" the cost of fuel is a consideration.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just had five nights at Northwood caravan holiday park Clayton le dale Blackburn is 128 miles each way filled car up at Tesco petrol garage 182.9 a litre so 21 litres cost around £37

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....just been away with the caravan on a two site 11 night trip and towed 485 miles.
Pitch fees were £270 and diesel costs were £152.
My experience is that all costs are rising not just fuel.
Sites seem to be quite full especially with older couples with newish outfits/motorhomes and particularly at weekends.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
.....just been away with the caravan on a two site 11 night trip and towed 485 miles.
Pitch fees were £270 and diesel costs were £152.
My experience is that all costs are rising not just fuel.
Sites seem to be quite full especially with older couples with newish outfits/motorhomes and particularly at weekends.
[/QUOTE

Was it a good destination and did you have nice time

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We would not dream of going away just for a weekend like we used to do when working. Now we like to go away for a minimum of 5 nights or longer to make it worthwhile.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Three nights last weekend. 4 nights next weekend for the Jubilee. Staying close and not bothering with an awning makes it easy. Just far enough for a change of scenery and different walking countryside

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Three nights last weekend. 4 nights next weekend for the Jubilee. Staying close and not bothering with an awning makes it easy. Just far enough for a change of scenery and different walking countryside
Hope you enjoy your next break and weather favourable

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I read to “celebrate” the Platinum Anniversary “we” are going to step back and return to being able to sell solely in Imperial Units.

I was musing how many fuel stations will be blazing billboards and their pumps with diesel at £8.27 a gallon, rather than £1.819 a litre and how that reality could impact on our camping ventures?

I suspect all but none of the fuel stations will adopt this new freedom to break away from EU strictures.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I read to “celebrate” the Platinum Anniversary “we” are going to step back and return to being able to sell solely in Imperial Units.

I was musing how many fuel stations will be blazing billboards and their pumps with diesel at £8.27 a gallon, rather than £1.819 a litre and how that reality could impact on our camping ventures?

I suspect all but none of the fuel stations will adopt this new freedom to break away from EU strictures.

I must admit I have never understood by only in the Uk they add the £0.009p to the price. Also not sure why we are still in the dark ages and do not convert to metric entirely as easier to deal in metric than imperial!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Just a bit of unwanted "jingoism". In 1968 when I started my degree we had to work in dual units. It quickly dawned on me how much simpler the SI units were when doing complex calculations. For my post grad in 1976 it was all SI, but for much of my career I had to be able to work with both units. My kids and grandkids have been SI throughout although they do manage to understand Lbs, pints and miles. But quite frankly whoever came up with this "morale boosting" idea must have spent too long at work events and downed too many Gills ?????

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Also not sure why we are still in the dark ages and do not convert to metric entirely as easier to deal in metric than imperial!

Nor do I, and I suspect few others than the very aged, those leaving formal education now 49 years ago, sought to shake off those terrible shackles of using the International System of Units, SI.

But there we have it, the new found "Opportunity" we reportedly are about to take.

Reactions: PTA
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Slightly off tack I see NHS domiciliary Staff who need to use their own cars to visit patients in the community have not received an increase in their fuel allowance for over a year. Let’s hope something is done to remedy this disparity before we lose their services

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Slightly off tack I see NHS domiciliary Staff who need to use their own cars to visit patients in the community have not received an increase in their fuel allowance for over a year. Let’s hope something is done to remedy this disparity before we lose their services
Neither have NHS Mental Health nurses who work in the community or visit care homes. Fortunately my daughters new Corolla hybrid halved her fuel bills when she got it in February compared to her 2014 Fo us, but of course those bills have also risen.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Neither have NHS Mental Health nurses who work in the community or visit care homes. Fortunately my daughters new Corolla hybrid halved her fuel bills when she got it in February compared to her 2014 Fo us, but of course those bills have also risen.
However it cost her £"X" amount to upgrade so she should be entitled to additional help with fuel bills as those people are essential workers. Never mind the type of vehicle as they should be paid per mile as you still have running costs involved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts