will our car pull a bailey pageant

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are due to get a new peugot 407 2 ltr diesel and are looking to get a bailey pageant provence will it pull it ok or will the caravan be to heavy for the car

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michelle,

Sadly I am unable to comment on your specific car's ability to tow the Provence - but what I can say is this : We bought the new Series 5 Provence 1 month ago and are absolutely delighted with the build quality, the overall layout, the 3 year guarantee on all things internal(even down to the smallest cushion buttons) and the 6 year warranty on the body exterior-the only caravan on the maket with such a warranty -WOW!!Your making an EXCELLENT choice. We had a 1.9 TD Ford Galaxy Zetec but found it was a bit near the edge on the combination ratios, so have since purchased a Kia Sorento. The combination of both is absolutely superb. Hope this provides a little insight for you. get the Van If You Can and ENJOY...all the best Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michelle, My sources indicate that the Pugeot 407 deisels have a maximum permited tow weight of 1500Kg. This excededs the Pagents 1470Kg max weight (with all kit and extras) so th answer is yes, however it is near the top of its authorised capacity. You will need to check the Pugeots maximum train mass to ensure you dont exceed that figure with any kit you have in the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having looked at various different sources, i can conclude that the maximum braked towing weight of the 407 is 1600kg and that the kerbweight is circa 1580. This should be more then a match for a 1420 - and thats loaded to the maximum - van, and would be 90%. Power and torque wise, you should fine the 407 more then adaquate, and sensible loading should result in stable towing. Buy it and enjoy caravanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only concern I have with regard to the 407 and why it was crossed off my list is the very low noseweight limit of 60kg, probably too low for the Bailey which I expect to be around 90kg. Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought anew Pageant and I find that the Ford Mondeo 2.0TD is struggling abit. However, I'm new to caravanning and towing so I may just not be used to it. Anyone think the car is not up to it? Agree with Pete, fabulous caravan.

Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a new shape Mondeo 2.0L TDCI Zetec which we tow our current van with, and have no problems, so lets hope when the new Bailey arrives in October/November it's as good as it is now, I'll keep you posted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michell, You are quite correct in your specifications for the HDi 136 and this has a bhp of 136 which isn,t bad for a 2.0 ltr car. Your kerb weight will allow an 85% match of 1343. I would start like I have, by visiting as many dealers as possible and look at all the vans you like in that weight area. You will find the MTPL weight for most vans riveted to the side somewhere near the door. As tempting as it might be don't exceed the 85% suggestion if you havn't towed before and you should have a goodish match. The only thing is the low hitch weight of 60kgs at the ball. Check this out with Peugeot customer services as there was one car, I think it may have been the 406 that they said was 40kgs then revised it to 80? The more weight you can put on the hitch , the more stable your tow will be.

Good Luck with your choice

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would just like to thank you all for your help and advise. I went to the local bailey dealers and they have checked on the computer that our car will pull a pageant series 5 provence with out any worries so I have just placed my order it will be ready for us in march 05. I was surprised at how long it will take I thought I would only have to wait a couple of weeks. never mind it gives us some thing to look forward to. many thanks again Michelle

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts