Window damage

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of a window being blown out by strong winds. A neighbour noticed our window on the floor.
He said it was the strong winds, I think it was some form of lowlife.
I reported it and got a crime number to make it easier to claim. All I hope now is that we can get a replacement window.

Steve

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Are we talking Caravan Windows or house Windows.
I lived next door to a house where the Gable end was blown out by strong winds: the wind just got behind it. I suppose it would have brought a window out as well but with a lot of damage.
Can't see how enough wind would get into a caravan to blow a side window out; wouldn't it just tip a van over.
I think you are right on the low life theory
Mel

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
It was the kitchen window on our van. The outer skin was more or less undamaged but the inner skin was broken around both of the catches.
We have removed all items of value now just in case.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wind going across the top of a slightly curved surface will give it an enormous amount of "lift" to the surface and could cause the window to be pulled out, maybe the Prof could help.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Wind going across the top of a slightly curved surface will give it an enormous amount of "lift" to the surface and could cause the window to be pulled out, maybe the Prof could help.
Hutch.

Hello Hutch,
Why do you think that :eek:hmy: ?

I hadn't given much thought to this thread, but logically any window will have a burst pressure but smaller windows will need more pressure than a large one (pressure times area = thrust), so if it were simply a windage problem, then it would be more likely a larger one would go first.

You would need enough differential pressure inside to out, which would be achieved with little air movement, but whilst this might break the window seal to the body of the caravan, but as soon as the seal is broken, you would need quite a substantial mass air flow into the caravan to continue to blow the window out.

The wind would have to have reasonable free access to the inside of the caravan, Its unlikely the normal ventilation slots would provide enough open area to allow enough air mas smovement to blow out a window, so unless there was a door or another window open, it seems less likely to be the only cause.

However if the window had been previously damaged and weakened, then its conceivable windage could cause it to fail - but that is a bit of a long shot in my view, as towing could well provide enough mass air flow, and is likely to explore any weaknesses more than just the wind .

It's really not possible to be conclusive about this on a forum, and even a close inspection may not produce a conclusive outcome.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
It would have to be a heck of a wind when you consider that many travel at 60 MPH when towing, and the windows don't fall out!

Whilst testing at MIRA a few years ago, speeds approaching three figures were reached whilst towing a standard production caravan, but all the windows remained intact then too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
It would have to be a heck of a wind when you consider that many travel at 60 MPH when towing, and the windows don't fall out!

Whilst testing at MIRA a few years ago, speeds approaching three figures were reached whilst towing a standard production caravan, but all the windows remained intact then too.

Hello Nigel,
I omitted to say the towing scenario would only apply if another window was open or had been damaged.

I have seen a caravan that had a front window smashed by a brick whilst towing, ( Driver was lucky it didn't hit the car first) and as a consequence the large rear window had broken its catches and was wide open, but also the roof light had been blown out as well.

But these are extraordinary circumstances, but having said that how many of us have seen the roof lights on caravans straining at their anchors having been left open before setting off?

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I am convinced it was an attempted break in, there was no problem with the window beforehand.
The side of the caravan was quite sheltered from the wind.
Getting it repaired may be fun!! It's my first experience of claiming on insurance, they don't appear to make it straightforward. It will help if Swift tell my repairman the part no. Which is not a forgone conclusion I may have to go through a dealer.
Anyway there is a nice bottle of wine with my name waiting so I won't worry for the rest of the day.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve.
Your caravan was stationary. The damaged window was found on the floor outside of the caravan and the lock clasps broken.

This is a vandal trying to gain entry.
If it was wind / storm the broken bits would all be inside.
I've just returned from North Derbyshire. We endured extreme high winds and gusts of 86 mph.
All windows remained intact.
I am confident you have been the victim of an attempted theft.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are claiming on your insurance then you will have no problems.
You don't need Swift to provide your repair man with a part number for the window, it is already on the window in the form of a Roxite number, usually on a small sticker in the top left hand side of the window ,which your "repair" man should already know about !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Hello Dusty

Whilst I agree it seems it is unlikely to be wind damage and more likely attempted entry, the design of caravan windows will have a much higher resistance to implosion than explosion.

As has been noted it's the window catches that have broken. If the air pressure were trying to push the window in rather than out the whole seal around the window will resist movement of the window, where as an outward pressure the seal will release and the only things holding the window will be the catches and hinge.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:

Hello Dusty

Whilst I agree it seems it is unlikely to be wind damage and more likely attempted entry, the design of caravan windows will have a much higher resistance to implosion than explosion.

As has been noted it's the window catches that have broken. If the air pressure were trying to push the window in rather than out the whole seal around the window will resist movement of the window, where as an outward pressure the seal will release and the only things holding the window will be the catches and hinge.
Fully agree Prof

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree with the others that this does not sound like storm damage. The larger windows would almost certainly blow first if this was the problem as their larger surface area makes them more susceptible but even then the wind would have to be very exceptional probably well into three figures.
Not sure it was an attempted break in though as opposed to vandalism as the kitchen window is higher and smaller than the rest and would be far more difficult to climb through. It is possible though if this was in the position least likely to be seen from the street or the potential thief was an idiot and many are.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Ray, the window is definitely large enough to climb through, and the van is parked next to our neighbours dividing wall. Which unfortunately makes it easy to access the window.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS