Winter wheels or axle stands?

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Im going to lay my caravan up for the winter , I have a new job that will mean iI away until the end of November then after that I'm not sure when we'll get away again.
My question is 'Is it better to use 'winter wheels' or put it on axle stands?
Im thinking that using axle stands will allow the rubber suspension to 'rest' is this a good idea?
Looking forward to any advice,
Gareth

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes
I use both, take wheels off and store in garage, let them rest in the dark, put winter wheels on for extra security but leave the weight of van on the axle stands to rest the supension.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys , I'll dig my stands out.
I'm with the caravan club , I think the policy just says something like 'take all reasonable measures to secure' or something like that.
Its in a locked yard opposite the fire station ,in a quiet little welsh town, it's 15 years old too so I'm not that worried about theft of, it's theft from or vandalism ghats the only concern.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
I may be wrong about this but when I enquired about the very same issue with the CC, I was told that if I used winter wheels I would be unable to fit the Alko wheel lock - as required by CC insurance conditions. Additionally, if (for instance) a fire broke out nearby,then the caravan cannot be moved out of harms way or to allow access for emergency vehicle.
It's a good idea you had Gareth.....but the devil always seems to be in the detail.
Ron

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I sometimes use winter wheels but the point about moving a van in the event of fire does not really affect the issue. My van when at home or in store has bulldog Titan on one wheel a bulldog QD44 on the other , steady locks at the rear and alko secure hitch lock. Try towing that one without using a JCB! Many in store are locked in a similar manner.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I was more concerened about the technical side of it, I'm happy with the insurance aspect.

I did the job today , I decided my stands were beond help so i used two 6 inch concrete blocks with 3/4" ply tops, its worked like a charm. I also bought my battery home to trickle charge in the shed over the winter.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
none found winter wheels to low and needed to jack up higher to put wheels on i move van back and forth through winter as to steeling it they bring a spare wheel and theres on under the van waiting.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Ooo, good point, i'll go over & remove the spare now. I know they could bring spare wheels & maybe if you have one of only five current year's 'Coachman whatevers' you might need to worry, but with a 15 year old 4 berth I think I've given them enough work to make them look elsewhere!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts