Winterhoff Stabilisers - spare/replacement friction pads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

recently took delivery of new van with Winterhoff stabiliser. As I frequently tour the continent I would like a spare/replacement set of friction pads - just in case!!

Anyone know of a supplier and how much I should be paying.

Thanks once again in advance.

John

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
You should be able to get pads from any caravan dealer linked to explorer group. You can also get them direct from BPW's website. No prices listed but from memory they're about

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

We are new to caravaing, and we have just purchased a Compass rallye fitted with a ws 3000 Winterhoff, do you need any further Stabilizers flat bare type? any info would be a great help i have been looking round the forum but can't find any thing

Thanks John and Jen

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John and Jen,

One friction type stabiliser is sufficient - both the ALKO and Winterhoff were the top rated brands in the recent German ADAC product test.

Inside the Winterhoff (and ALKO) coupling head are a set of mini-brake pads that grip the tow ball (which must be clean / free of paint) and stop (reduce) the caravan from moving out of line when towing. Then when you drive round a corner the pads slip and then grip when you straighten up. Adding a second friction based stabiliser will affect this operation.

The old blade type stabilisers work fine too, same effect as the modern types, but you do need a good set of muscles to engage the blade. And you shouldn't use both types at the same time.

The pads in an ALKO or Winterhoff should last 20,000 miles or more.

Robert

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
John and Jen,

One friction type stabiliser is sufficient - both the ALKO and Winterhoff were the top rated brands in the recent German ADAC product test.

Inside the Winterhoff (and ALKO) coupling head are a set of mini-brake pads that grip the tow ball (which must be clean / free of paint) and stop (reduce) the caravan from moving out of line when towing. Then when you drive round a corner the pads slip and then grip when you straighten up. Adding a second friction based stabiliser will affect this operation.

The old blade type stabilisers work fine too, same effect as the modern types, but you do need a good set of muscles to engage the blade. And you shouldn't use both types at the same time.

The pads in an ALKO or Winterhoff should last 20,000 miles or more.

Robert
Hi Robert

Thanks; this has been puzzling me for a few weeks

John & Jen

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

We are new to caravaing, and we have just purchased a Compass rallye fitted with a ws 3000 Winterhoff, do you need any further Stabilizers flat bare type? any info would be a great help i have been looking round the forum but can't find any thing

Thanks John and Jen
Hi john, i fitted a winterhoff last year, best days work i ever did, they are actually better than the alko in my opinon, after looking at there German website beat Alko hands down, on TUV tests which are very strict tests for motoring, they do one which is the German equivilant to our MOT's, but bi-annually and far far more stringent than our MOT. Plus with winterhoff you do not need to spend money on new smaller towball for it fits ordinary size towball. You just have to make sure that there is no grease contamination anywhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts