Winterising Caravan

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
That time of year for us to go into hibernation, so I was wondering what you folks do to winterise your caravans.

I've cleaned everything and flushed out the pipes and deep cleaned the cludgie. All the bedding etc has been moved to the house.

Last year we left the soft cushions and curtains in the van but noticed some mould spots on them when we were preparing for the first trip. This year I'm going to bring them into the house.

Battery is dead and beyond hope of resuscitation but in future I'll charge it regulary when its laid up for a few weeks or months.

Can't think of much else.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if we had our caravan we use to empty and take the cushions home we left the windows slightly open leave the taps up all the cupboards ,doors and wardrobe doors open and fridge and then the breathable cover went on .

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to open the cupboard doors. Can't open the windows as too much rain in this part of the world.

Can't use a cover either. When we had one for out motorhome it just got shredded in the high winds.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I do is to make sure there is little water in the system, do all as above. Have my van on my drive, so when weather permits I open the van door, Fresh air keeps the condensation away.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if we had our caravan we use to empty and take the cushions home we left the windows slightly open leave the taps up all the cupboards ,doors and wardrobe doors open and fridge and then the breathable cover went on .
If you have removed all the soft furnishings, and opened all the cupboard does and draws then you shouldn't need to open the windows. The fixed ventilation should be enough. Dont compromise your caravans security by leaving windows open.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you have removed all the soft furnishings, and opened all the cupboard does and draws then you shouldn't need to open the windows. The fixed ventilation should be enough. Dont compromise your caravans security by leaving windows open.
The windows are only slightly open but who going to know when the breathable cover on and we had no problems.last season.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts