winterising my van,

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
its been a few years since been vanning, however with our adopted Husky it seems winter rallies are the order o the day.wifey has booked us up already for two winter meets, these are usually in a field without elecky.(frezzing weather)

Question is advice please.

When using the van in winter conditions what advice re frezzing temps and water pipes toilet etc.

i have changed the calor gas to propane to start with whats next .

Can the water barrel be wrapped or how do you get water without it frezzing?

sorry it a long one but i would rather be prepared, cheers all.

to use over winter,

1 leave handbrake of on van or the brakes will freeze on.

2water into van wrap the aqua roll up in a immersion jacket,like the one on the tank at home buy from a diy store,also lag the pump pipe with lagging for pipes,some people use a fishtank heater in the water.

3use propane red cylinders.

4check battery and top up, and charge fully.

5extra blankets.

6grip mats so you can pull off the field at the end.

7keep a container of water in the van in case of frozen pipes.

all toilet waste should be fine if van is heated inside just use normal chemicals.

DO NOT ADD ANTI FREEZE TO TANKS,it will ruin them.

if waste water pipes freaze a kettle of water over them will help,but not boiling.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
keep water roll of the floor i use a old padded jacket put around the roll zip it up and put the water pipe up the sleve and plug it to van.
as posted I intend to use the van in the winter. upon reading some post i fell a complete drain of the system s the only safe option.

however I have come up with an idea for the toilet, Thetford cass.

has anybody tried antifreeze in the bottom and windscreen washer fluid which goes done to quite cold below frezzing for the rince?

any comments please

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
as posted I intend to use the van in the winter. upon reading some post i fell a complete drain of the system s the only safe option.

has anybody tried antifreeze in the bottom and windscreen washer fluid which goes done to quite cold below frezzing for the rince?

any comments please
2 Aug 2010 03:42 PM as posted I intend to use the van in the winter. upon reading some post i fell a complete drain of the system s the only safe option.

any comments please

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
2 Aug 2010 03:42 PM as posted I intend to use the van in the winter. upon reading some post i fell a complete drain of the system s the only safe option.

any comments please

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
confussed Sarah.

thanks for your ideas.

the idea of adding antifreeze to the toilet waste holding tank seems fine to me, or have you had a experience to scare me to death.

I was thinking a small amount for the tank to add to the waste stuff that thetford supply /.

I will try a experiment and mix a small amount say 5% and stick it the frezzer to see if it frezzes.

will let you know the results. YOU never no!!!!

regards and thanks for your helpful tips ,Paul

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Found this on Waudby's site:

If you do not wish to use anti-freeze, brands containing the following substances may be used,

-Mono-propylene glycol

-Ethylene glycol

-Mono-ethylene glycol

-Propane-diol

-Glycerol

-Ethane-diol

-Glycol

NEVER use alcohol based anti-freeze, i.e Methanol, Ethanol and Iso-propanol.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul.

We've been permanent caravanning for nearly three years and endured the worst winter for 30 years in Herefordshire last winter.

I've posted most of my hints & tips on winter caravanning on here before, but I don't mind sharing them again if it helps anyone to have a good time in the winter cold days.

1/ Always have a 10 Litre can of water with you inside the van, so that you can make a hot drink.

2/ A small generator would be advisable in your case, just incase the gas fails.

3/ You can change from calor blue Butane gas to orange Propane gas if you want. We haven't in our van and the gas bottles are kept in the front locker without problem, but then, we do use electricity to heat the van.

4/ Go to your local charity shop and spend a £5er on an old xxl size puffa jacket preferably 3/4 length. Use this to cover the water barrel and use a sleeve to feed the water pump through to insulate that.

5/ Keep your barrel at least half full at night and stand it on some blocks of wood keeping it about 100mm off the ground. If it is realy cold take your pump in at night.

6/ To add insulation you could errect a lightweight nylon porch awning on the RH side of the van to shelter the barrels from the winter winds.

7/ Empty your waste water every 2 nights to avoid freeze ups.

8/ By keeping the van heated, you can avoid needing to do anything different to the loo and you will have a warm van to boot.

9/ Inside the van, lagg all the water pipes. The common ones forgotten about, is the pipework behind the fridge and kitchen units.

10/ fit winter fridge vents to your van. DO NOT use propriatory methods to avoid the £22 for two vents I had to buy for our van. You are restricting air flow and thus ventilation of your fridge. Check with the fridge manufacturer that your fridge can have winter vents fitted while on gas.

11/ Chock the wheels of the van instead of using the parking brake to avoid sticking.

12/ Leave the stabiliser hitch head in the unlocked position, again avoiding freezing in the ON position.

13/ Take plenty of dry warm clothing and bedding.

14/ Have Jump leads, tow rope, hazard triangle, WIND UP torch, shovel, and a hand winch. Keep these in the car. A first aid kit and a fire extinguisher are also helpfull.

15/ Have at least one mobile phone, charger and car charger that works in your area.

16/ Make sure that everyone except the dog of coarse, knows the correct map reference/post code for your campsite, just incase you need help.

As you are touring and not static like us, you will also have to make sure the car has 50% antifreeze in it, good tyres with plenty of tread fitted. Also you should have it serviced twice yearly idealy one service before winter and one before summer to have oil and coolant etc at optimal performance before hardest use.

Finally. Inform a friend back at home of when your going and when your expected back. Tell them that if your not back on the designated day to inform the police of your no show and the location of your campsite, telephone number and reg of your car.

I know the last bit sounds a bit OTT but if your stuck in the highlands for instance, notifying people in safer town situations makes a good start to an action plan for your rescue.

I sail dinghies on the sea at times and always leave contact details, proposed route, expected return time etc with either the Harbour master or coastguard office for the area. Then on completion of the journey I phone in to say I'm back and all's well. Trust me they respect sensible adventurers and are there for support if needed.

Most of all keep a clear level head and make light of the tasks as even getting water can be a challenge in a blizzard.

Have fun.

ATB Steve L.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul.

We've been permanent caravanning for nearly three years and endured the worst winter for 30 years in Herefordshire last winter.

I've posted most of my hints & tips on winter caravanning on here before, but I don't mind sharing them again if it helps anyone to have a good time in the winter cold days.

1/ Always have a 10 Litre can of water with you inside the van, so that you can make a hot drink.

2/ A small generator would be advisable in your case, just incase the gas fails.

3/ You can change from calor blue Butane gas to orange Propane gas if you want. We haven't in our van and the gas bottles are kept in the front locker without problem, but then, we do use electricity to heat the van.

4/ Go to your local charity shop and spend a £5er on an old xxl size puffa jacket preferably 3/4 length. Use this to cover the water barrel and use a sleeve to feed the water pump through to insulate that.

5/ Keep your barrel at least half full at night and stand it on some blocks of wood keeping it about 100mm off the ground. If it is realy cold take your pump in at night.

6/ To add insulation you could errect a lightweight nylon porch awning on the RH side of the van to shelter the barrels from the winter winds.

7/ Empty your waste water every 2 nights to avoid freeze ups.

8/ By keeping the van heated, you can avoid needing to do anything different to the loo and you will have a warm van to boot.

9/ Inside the van, lagg all the water pipes. The common ones forgotten about, is the pipework behind the fridge and kitchen units.

10/ fit winter fridge vents to your van. DO NOT use propriatory methods to avoid the £22 for two vents I had to buy for our van. You are restricting air flow and thus ventilation of your fridge. Check with the fridge manufacturer that your fridge can have winter vents fitted while on gas.

11/ Chock the wheels of the van instead of using the parking brake to avoid sticking.

12/ Leave the stabiliser hitch head in the unlocked position, again avoiding freezing in the ON position.

13/ Take plenty of dry warm clothing and bedding.

14/ Have Jump leads, tow rope, hazard triangle, WIND UP torch, shovel, and a hand winch. Keep these in the car. A first aid kit and a fire extinguisher are also helpfull.

15/ Have at least one mobile phone, charger and car charger that works in your area.

16/ Make sure that everyone except the dog of coarse, knows the correct map reference/post code for your campsite, just incase you need help.

As you are touring and not static like us, you will also have to make sure the car has 50% antifreeze in it, good tyres with plenty of tread fitted. Also you should have it serviced twice yearly idealy one service before winter and one before summer to have oil and coolant etc at optimal performance before hardest use.

Finally. Inform a friend back at home of when your going and when your expected back. Tell them that if your not back on the designated day to inform the police of your no show and the location of your campsite, telephone number and reg of your car.

I know the last bit sounds a bit OTT but if your stuck in the highlands for instance, notifying people in safer town situations makes a good start to an action plan for your rescue.

I sail dinghies on the sea at times and always leave contact details, proposed route, expected return time etc with either the Harbour master or coastguard office for the area. Then on completion of the journey I phone in to say I'm back and all's well. Trust me they respect sensible adventurers and are there for support if needed.

Most of all keep a clear level head and make light of the tasks as even getting water can be a challenge in a blizzard.

Have fun.

ATB Steve L.
great stuff .Steve.

1,bought two mud terrain tyres for reae oo my vito rear wheel drive, she has abs active diff lock so traction should (fingers crossed be) reasonable as long as i am not stuppid when parking say in a low bit of field etc,

2. changed calor both to propane so no worries there.

3.thanks for the jacket idea and the arm bit never thought of that great one,

4. pipes under van to do.

5.toilet like to keep that working so might just add a bit of anti frezze working on that.

6.geni hadnt thought of that either good un, will look at cost perhaps get one from aldi when they come up cheap.

7. many thanks for tips if i can keep the van warm , the missis happy then life will be ok. My Husky and me are cold weather folks so we ok.

booked camping in pembrey forest dec.so far ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards and cherrs paul vp uk gloucester.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts