Woosie Club

Page 345 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
View: https://youtu.be/AMkXMk5494Y?feature=shared

....remember the Woosiefest at Stratford upon Avon in 2017?
Known as the mudfest!!
The campsite is currently flooded as in the video above...
see from 1 minute in and note the raised bar restaurant and the statics.
It leads me to question how much longer such sites can be viable given the increasing frequency of inclement weather. No protection can realistically cope with weather that dumps a months worth of rain in 1-2 days, and then does the same shortly afterwards, other than putting berms or walls around the site, or raising them up on stilts ……a La Bangladesh

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It leads me to question how much longer such sites can be viable given the increasing frequency of inclement weather. No protection can realistically cope with weather that dumps a months worth of rain in 1-2 days, and then does the same shortly afterwards, other than putting berms or walls around the site, or raising them up on stilts ……a La Bangladesh
Near Tewkesbury the statics at one site have huge polystyrene blocks under them and chains to hold them in place. The static floats up when the site is flooded. Also https://www.gloucestershirelive.co....wkesbury-flooding-latest-roads-remain-9015043

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m our local flood warden . A voluntary position to help local residents in the event of a flood. Very close to our home the River Thames and River Key meet. The Key is usually a small stream .

Attachments

• IMG_7101.jpeg
    IMG_7101.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 4
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where we lived in Bradford on Avon the river regularly flooded and sometimes the route through the town was completely cut off, and other routes in were closed for a period. EA plan to construct a large containment tank up river in the town. But heaven knows how large that has to be to make any difference, and I’m certain that all of the new housing and business developments upstream through Trowbridge, Melksham and to Chippenham aren’t helping the situation.

23112012172.jpeg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
View: https://youtu.be/AMkXMk5494Y?feature=shared

....remember the Woosiefest at Stratford upon Avon in 2017?
Known as the mudfest!!
The campsite is currently flooded as in the video above...
see from 1 minute in and note the raised bar restaurant and the statics.
remember it well, was cleaning the van and accessories for days on end after returning from there. Doesn't seem like over 6 years ago though!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Current situation in Bradford on Avon. Flood barriers were disallowed 2 years ago as there was a risk that the force of the River Avon could push them back and possibly injure anyone behind! Even the undertaker had to transport bodies on a farm flatbed trailer towed by a tractor. But with a name originally called “ Broadford” flooding is not unexpected!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
There is something to be said for living in canal boat these days.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandson and I took our pooches on the Downs at Avebury yesterday afternoon. Hardly any mud underfoot and a good dose of Vitamin D whilst we walked. Even the dogs came home clean. We could see the floods in the Avon valley. but they had no effect on our outing. Win win all round.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Attn Gagakev, Kev have a look here, Loveable.
Does it go toward your five a day.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Attn Gagakev, Kev have a look here, Loveable.
Oh no Hutch what have you done??
I'm only going to have to do a taste test on that,
Best if I get a bottle of brandy first though to go with it.
Cheers :wineglass::wineglass::wineglass::wineglass:

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, what a rough time some of the Woosies are having, Towards the end of last year my Trusty Scribe, Sir Dusty Dog, had his Knees replaced and can walk to the pub again, and Lady Villa is recovering well after a stint in Hospital.
My beloved wife,( she dictated that) Lady Bacchus, has had a cataract done, now awaiting her other to be done, we were hoping to get away, when DRY January ends.
But last Tuesday I was diagnosed with a detached retina, Milton Keynes Hospital was too busy so they got me a placement at St Thomas's hospital in London for yesterday lunchtime. It's all done now but will take several weeks before sight is back.
Thank you all NHS staff.
I believe a few other Woosies have had health problems recently and I wish them all a good recovery,
I hate this getting old stuff, I realise I am NOT invincible.

Reactions: WayneS and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, what a rough time some of the Woosies are having, Towards the end of last year my Trusty Scribe, Sir Dusty Dog, had his Knees replaced and can walk to the pub again, and Lady Villa is recovering well after a stint in Hospital.
My beloved wife,( she dictated that) Lady Bacchus, has had a cataract done, now awaiting her other to be done, we were hoping to get away, when DRY January ends.
But last Tuesday I was diagnosed with a detached retina, Milton Keynes Hospital was too busy so they got me a placement at St Thomas's hospital in London for yesterday lunchtime. It's all done now but will take several weeks before sight is back.
Thank you all NHS staff.
I believe a few other Woosies have had health problems recently and I wish them all a good recovery,
I hate this getting old stuff, I realise I am NOT invincible.
My wife had her cataracts done in early 2014 and she still has excellent distance vision. Your wife will really notice the difference having her cataracts removed.
Brilliant service wrt to your detached retina. It’s nice to hear of the good care that the NHS gives as so often the news is always bad.
Hope your recovery goes well.
Me, it’s like I do most of my 10000 steps between 2300-0600. It must have been caused by Portsmouth water in the early 1970s as course colleague is similarly affected; or so the press release says. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I can honestly say I've experienced the werst few days/nights, last night in particular, had to call 111. diagnosed with Covid. Thank god for the inoculations . without them don't think I'd be here now without it. Coughed so much I've bruised my ribs been taking a spoonful of honey all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can honestly say I've experienced the werst few days/nights, last night in particular, had to call 111. diagnosed with Covid. Thank god for the inoculations . without them don't think I'd be here now without it. Coughed so much I've bruised my ribs been taking a spoonful of honey all day.
Hope you are soon improving and back to full health.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
20240201-111116.jpg

Greetings.....we are way down south in Andalusia with the caravan enjoying good weather :cool:
The caravan is level...pitch is slooping!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I'll level with you Mel ;)

So much Sun down here I couldn't see anything on the smartphone screen to frame the photo properly.
What's more only 26degC today!
I will try another bottle though ....that was your advice wasn't it:D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts