working out the 85% rule

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Why did you deduct the weight of permanent fittings like the towbar and side steps, etc.? In doing so, you have determined the ex-works weight but not the actual current kerbweight of the car. Any feature which is permanently added to the vehicle after it leaves the factory automatically changes the kerbweight. Contrary to GVW and gross train weight, which are not variable amounts but absolute limits specified by the manufacturer, the kerbweight is a variable which can be changed at any time by technical modifications to the vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's a big help Bernard

As usual Lutz has explained the terms(thanks) and from that I take it that my XTrail with towbar etc should be at or over the 1650kg kerb weight.

This confirms that the Columbia weighs in at the top of the 1525-1650kg range .

Its nice to know and I will pass on the information to my friens who has now got as far as the much more important problem of choosing the colour !!

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
The one and only accurate way of finding out the kerbweight of the car is to weigh it. In addition to the gross train weight and the max. car weight stated on the VIN plate you may find a figure for the kerbweight in the owner's handbook or brochure but this will only be approximate.

Both the 1080kg and the 980kg that you quote sound more like maximum front and rear axle loads to me. I would expect the kerbweight of a Mazda 6 2.0 diesel hatch to be somewhere in the order of 1500kg.
Thanks for the reply re my Mazda6. There is no info in the handbook about the kerbweight, only gross train weight (3560kg) and max tow limit (1600kg).I have seen different kerbweights stated for my car ranging from 1465kg to 1560kg but I have seen a couple saying 1515kg so maybe this is the one?

Also the logbook says mass in service 1385 what does this mean?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The latest pearls of wisdom from Nissan received today

"In reference to your enquiry the kerbed weight of the Nissan X-trail Columbia is

1500-1535kg for the 2WD and 1525-1650 kg for the 4WD.The weight is giving as a range as kerbed weight is also dependant on trim,added features and load"

So why are we worrying about kerb weight when all we have to do is increase the load

Just going to get my biggest toolbox and wife's fattest handbag before I buy a bigger heavier caravan.

The English and Double Dutch are all Nissan's

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
That's a big help Bernard

As usual Lutz has explained the terms(thanks) and from that I take it that my XTrail with towbar etc should be at or over the 1650kg kerb weight.

This confirms that the Columbia weighs in at the top of the 1525-1650kg range .

Its nice to know and I will pass on the information to my friens who has now got as far as the much more important problem of choosing the colour !!
Lutz,

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. The weight of the towbar and side steps etc was taken off as I thought that this was the correct thing to do in getting a vehicle kerbweight having read the various pieces of 'advice' on this matter. I am grateful for your clarification and now think I understand at last. The X-Trail has gone up with these permanent fittings to 1660KG - great - it all helps in this new and confusing world!

Bernard Lane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The latest pearls of wisdom from Nissan received today

"In reference to your enquiry the kerbed weight of the Nissan X-trail Columbia is

1500-1535kg for the 2WD and 1525-1650 kg for the 4WD.The weight is giving as a range as kerbed weight is also dependant on trim,added features and load"

So why are we worrying about kerb weight when all we have to do is increase the load

Just going to get my biggest toolbox and wife's fattest handbag before I buy a bigger heavier caravan.

The English and Double Dutch are all Nissan's
This is what I said in my post above. Load the the car and van to suit your own spesific needs. as long as you are within the max train weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hugh just seen your comment and agree with what you are saying in your original posting.

UK method of calculating kerbweight does not include load as I understand it but Nissan seem unaware of this

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What is and what is not included in kerbweight is covered purely by convention and is not legally defined. The closest official term is Mass in Running Order and it is this that most car manufacturers quote to in their data. However, even the definition of MIRO does not explicitly state whether the ex-works weight always applies or the actual value, although it would be illogical to use the ex-works figure. Consider the example of a van which is subsequently converted to a motor home. The ex-works weight would be way off the actual kerbweight of the converted vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz I think that you explained that admirably in your previous posting

"Why did you deduct the weight of permanent fittings like the towbar and side steps, etc.? In doing so, you have determined the ex-works weight but not the actual current kerbweight of the car. Any feature which is permanently added to the vehicle after it leaves the factory automatically changes the kerbweight. Contrary to GVW and gross train weight, which are not variable amounts but absolute limits specified by the manufacturer, the kerbweight is a variable which can be changed at any time by technical modifications to the vehicle."

Its a pity that Nissan don't read this website

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts