x trail or kia sportage

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Franklin

I suppose the answer depends on what you want to tow...

I looked at both these cars (plus Honda CRV) about a year ago, wanted the X-trail but the Sportage was cheaper! think the x-trail diesel is 2.2 whereas the Sportage is 2.0.

have no compaints about the Sportage, does everything I want it to - however you may find it a bit basic compaired to an X-trail.

let me know if you want any more info on the Sportage. Mark (",)

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Franklin

I looked at both these cars (plus Honda CRV) about a year ago, wanted the X-trail but the Sportage was cheaper! think the x-trail diesel is 2.2 whereas the Sportage is 2.0.

have no compaints about the Sportage, does everything I want it to - however you may find it a bit basic compaired to an X-trail.

Hi

I tow a Lunar fixed bed with a 138bhp Sportage. I have found the car to be the best tug I have owned, praise indeed as my previuos car was a C5 HDI.It tows well in 6th gear up to the legal speed limit and I have to be careful as the speed can creep up to **mph. Fuel economy towing is good I can get about 350 miles out of a tank of diesel(12.5 galls). The Kia has a low nose weight limit of 75kg but I have no problem with this. I further think the car is well screwed together with no work needed on its first service. I was interested in an X trail but intercooler problems put me off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Franklin, WE would say go for the X Trail we love our, did look at the Sportage, nice but not lot of roon for our two dogs and other gear, The first time we tow with our x trail did't know the van was on the back and the ride was superb, we was getting near 30 to the gallon doing 55/60 mph, there is plenty of room for our two dogs and leg room in the back and front seat, but do watch the kerbweight on the x trail their is so many with different kerbweight for each model,= Sport/ sve ect, out of all the tow cars we had in the 24 years, our last one was the Fourtrax, good motor, but the X Trail is even better and it lovely pasting all the fuel station on the motor way, Good Luck what ever tow car you buy, Trevor

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
thanks for your addvise particually abnout the differnt kerb weights for different x trail models i thought they where all the same. it just proves how good and helpful this site and ther people that use it are thanks again.franklin

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Had the 2.5 auto /petrol X-Trail, lovely motor(04 reg) but it can only pull 1350kg because of the auto, which ours is also 1350klg, but when we done Cornwall from East Sussex our mpg overall was only 18/20mpg ,if it was'nt the extra tax and the mpg i would have kept it.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Franklin, we have recently changed our 2.0 petrol X-trail for a more recent (136Bhp) diesel and also changed to a slightly heavier van. The X-trail is the only car I have ever even considered buying a second one of, as I usually find something to put me off.

Only towed with the diesel once so far, and when people say you dont know the van is there, whilst not exactly true you know what they mean. It really does pull very well indeed. Quite happy in 6th gear on the motorway. A very relaxed towing experience. This with a 1420kg van (approx 87% match). Not had a chance to acuratly judge fuel consuption yet but its certainly way better than the petrol which was a main reason for changing. I would thoroughly reccomend to anybody. A much better 'car' for day to day use than the (very early petrol) Freelander we previously towed with.

No experience of the Sportage though, so cant comment on that.

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
thanks again, have been to see a van that we like but some of the dealers local to me still give totaly different advice on the weight we can tow. we are going to have the 2.2 diesel x trail and pull around 1450 this to us seems the best option franklin

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Franklin

we have a 3 year old 136 bhp 2.2 diesel X-Trail Sport (early models were only 112 bhp). Hubby weighed demo models at local weighbridge at 1640kg (base 2 litre petrol is 1525 kg !).We tow a Bailey Senator Indiana at approx 1400 kg (just 2 of us) so have 85% match, returning 26-27 mpg towing and 40 mpg solo. Bulletproof, car-like drive (and smaller than the Passat it replaced). If looking at new one, watch out for new model, out in September, with uprated engines (150 and 170 bhp diesels).

Ann

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Franklin

we have a 3 year old 136 bhp 2.2 diesel X-Trail Sport (early models were only 112 bhp). Hubby weighed demo models at local weighbridge at 1640kg (base 2 litre petrol is 1525 kg !).We tow a Bailey Senator Indiana at approx 1400 kg (just 2 of us) so have 85% match, returning 26-27 mpg towing and 40 mpg solo. Bulletproof, car-like drive (and smaller than the Passat it replaced). If looking at new one, watch out for new model, out in September, with uprated engines (150 and 170 bhp diesels).

Ann
thanks ann no wonder there are so many great offers on x trails.franklin

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Franklin

HI Brave Fart,,

Just bought a Sportage, pick it up on Wed. What do you tow with your sportage. Do you have any probs with nose weight etc.

We are changing from Freelander. This has been good but starting to get a bit tired now and feel may start giving probs.

Thanks for any titbits.

A

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts