X Trail Vibration

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone else a new X Trail 173 bhp manual? If so do you experience a vibtation at 1750 rpm? The dealer says "they all do that - dont worry" the vibration causes the interior mirror to fuzz.

be glad of your information please.

thanks

Howard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Howard

On reflection(sorry) the rear view mirror does vibrate a little but its something I suppose that I've got used to after 3 XTs

I did buy a clip over mirror because I thought that the tinted one was affecting the view through the caravan but I think that its more to do with the dark glass in the rear window

Anyhow with the clip on which looked huge but was almost the same size as the car original it was possible to angle it so that the edge was against the roof and that did cut down the vibration

I think that it really needs a stay at the back against the windscreen if it bothers you

Hope that helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just had a look and its actually fixed to the screen to my amazement

It would then need stay to the roof lining

I wish that the sun visors were bigger myself!!

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for the information; the dealer said they had another new car which did it, I guess if they all do it is ok. I was concerned that mine had a serious defect which would manifest itself later?????? The vibration seems to coincide with my cruising tow speed!

Is yours the 173 bhp version? If so I would be interested in your mpg when towing.

Thanks and regards

Howard

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Howard

I had a 2002 Renault Laguna 2.2crdi which also had a vibration just below 2000rpm. I think Nissan use a derivative of the renault engine. Any way the dealer slackened the entire exhaust system and slightly repositioned it. Vibration gone.

From my old physics days I think you have a sympathetic harmonic vibration.

Good luck.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alan

thanks for the feedback - i dont mind if it is only an exhaust vibration, as long as it isnt anything more sinister!

thanks again

Regards

Howard
HI! Howard i run a 55plate xtrail and have no vibration off it if you thing it is the exhaust why not try tying the exhaust with some wire/rope to the mountings so that it is solid to the car not allowed to move on its rubbers then go a small distance to c if it is that that is causing the vibrationthen remove the rope/wire then get back to your dealer and tell him to fix it (after all you have payed a lot of money not to have a fault like that)

Cheeers Duggie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Howard I have the 148bhp model and mpg towing the 1560kg van is about 22/23 at asteady 60mph

That is brimming the tank and not via the computer

May 21, 2008
Visit site
One of the motoring magazine road tests on the 173 manual commented on mirror vibration, and I noticed it on the demonstrator and on the car I bought. So yes "they all do it sir". I can't feel/see vibes apart from that.

MPG towing (someone asked) 25-30 indicated depending on wind direction and travelling at lorry speed on motorways, with an 1100kg Ranger behind.

Bry

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all for comments and information; well re the vibration, it's not satisfactory as the mirror 'fuzzes' enough so I cant read the reg of the car behind at 1,750 rpm. Bryan is yours the same rpm. However; if they all do it guess I'll have to live with it - not as bad now after 2,000 miles.

Thanks for the mpg - I was disappointed with initial 25 mpg, improved to 28, guess tow weight to be 1200 kg. I was hoping for 30!

Do you find the handbrake allows the car to move a couple of inches after application? Irritating when trying to couple where precision is needed eg incline.

Thanks

Regards

Howard

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Howard

Handbrake - I've never had my brake move and then hold. There's little "bite" feel and it's easy to leave the brake loosely applied, but once the lever's pulled far enough the brake holds well.

Mirror vibration - I don't really notice it now, but I'll check the revs next time I'm out.

Bry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been reading with interest the comments regarding vibration, nobody has mentioned wheel balance , if your wheels are slightly out of balance then at a certain given speed you will feel fibration. Driving below and above that certain speed the vibrations will vanish.

Royston

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys

Thank for the responses; interesting re the handbrake, feels exactly like a transmission brake - dealer says it isn't, I was going to get under and have a look for myself. The vibration definitely isn't wheels - it feels like a transmission vibration, that's why I was interested to learn if others have it as per Nissan dealer. If they all do it I'll stop worrying. 1,750 rpm feel the mirror and it fuzzes slightly with the vibration.

Cheers

Howard

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Howard,

We have a new X-trail and I too found the inside entertainment mirros furred, but I found that if I dropped a cog so that the engine was struggling it cleared.

Absolutely delighted with the car; just back from 5 weeks away from Dorset up to North Northumberland, to Brown Rigg School reunion and some of the roads/hills car and 'van went up were nearly verticle and it didn't falter.

Margaret W.

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi Margaret

Thanks for the info' is your vibration at 1750 rpm, and is yours the 173 bhp diesel please? I guess you mean the interior mirror that fuzzes?

thanks again

regards

Howard

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Looks like, from the various posts, that there is a genuinevibs problem on the X Trail which affects the mirror then.

Try damping it with kids plasticine.

Start with a small dob of about an ounce at one end and move it about to get the best result and increase the weight till it's sorted.

Should work - it's what manufacturerers do when even the computer aided design lets them down. They don't use plasticine though but just change the mass of an item or add a compensatory weight to shift the "resonant frequency" of the offending bit.

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

thanks for comments - i looked at the Yahoo group for XTs and others seem to have the prob - so annoying it coincides with cruise / tow speed on dual / mways.

Regards

Howard

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Cant comment on the vibe's as mines a 53 plate. Don't fret too much about the handbrake movement. Being 4WD its bound to have a certain amount of play. You should see the play on my '44 Willys Jeep !!! It has a transmission brake drum behind the splitter box. Ye Gods !!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Just got back last night from a 1400mls trip to france with my 52 plate x trail,it didn,t faulter once and working out filling tank brim to empty so not very scientific worked out i got about 30-32 to gallon towing 1350kg mainly in 6th at 2000rpm,which i think was very good,

Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI,

yes ive got a 08 plate 173 bhp x trail.vibration does occur,when looking in rear view mirror on travelling you do sometimes get a distorted view,other times its ok.i think the vibration is in the rear door.i adjusted the rubber stops on the door and this tightened the door up a fraction which gave a better view.it hasn't completely eradicated it but it is a lot better

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It shows 21 posts at the beginning but there are a lot missing

I have the 150bhp XT diesel and I have a wide angle clip over mirror that is just slightly wider than the original and slightly nearer to the driver so that one corner can be against the roof lining and that stops all the vibration

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts