You couldn’t make it up!!

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago I was teaching a friend to drive in his Ford Corsair. We were stopped on a slight gradient in a queue approaching a tee junction. I remember him saying “what do I do now”. Get out said I, we are on fire. A liquid ran down the road towards the cars behind. There was a sudden rush to move them. But it was only water.

Around the same time. I had a Ford Zodiac mark 4. (aka Dagenham dilemma). I parked outside my house. Then went straight to the toilet, only to be disturbed by a neighbour to tell me the car was on fire.

In both cases the fire brigade came. They said it was common with Ford V engined cars. They thought as both the carburettor and distributer were in the V petrol vapour would collect and be ignighted by a latent spark.

We repaired both cars! happy days!

John

I thought my Corsair was a very nice car to drive with the column gear stick and a bit upmarket from the previous MK2 Cortina which was an upgrade from my Ford Zephyr MK2..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago I was teaching a friend to drive in his Ford Corsair. We were stopped on a slight gradient in a queue approaching a tee junction. I remember him saying “what do I do now”. Get out said I, we are on fire. A liquid ran down the road towards the cars behind. There was a sudden rush to move them. But it was only water.

Around the same time. I had a Ford Zodiac mark 4. (aka Dagenham dilemma). I parked outside my house. Then went straight to the toilet, only to be disturbed by a neighbour to tell me the car was on fire.

In both cases the fire brigade came. They said it was common with Ford V engined cars. They thought as both the carburettor and distributer were in the V petrol vapour would collect and be ignighted by a latent spark.

We repaired both cars! happy days!

John
Well glad it wasn't down to your poor maintenance and it was a design or production fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am sure that one of the recent Ford models had a similar issue with fire under the dashboard and it was a pure petrol model.

The biggest issue with an EV fire is that it is extremely difficult to extinguish and firefighters do not have the correct equipment to contain an EV fire.

I may be anti EV, but let’s be fair about it.
As we talk on here this subject is very much in the focus of our UK Fire Brigades. Thermal Runaway. A result of an EV fire. Today Two Appliances attend due to the alleged hazard.
Like everything experience of such fires will improve the learning curve and make extinguishment easier.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
EV’s of all shapes can be a fire risk. What worries me most is the mobility scooters, scooters, and hoverboards aimed at younger people generally. Anecdotally admittedly. I hear that these are the problem area and it seems to be while charging. Probably due to using the cheapest possible materials and technology. I feel car manufacturers have too much to lose and supply well tested products.

I would like to see far more stringent laws in this area.

Remember when laptop batteries were banned on airoplanes.

I recently visited Hampton Court ad Kew Gardens. Both were great visits, But Hampton Court were not on top of their mobility scooters. They were not allowed to leave the chargers on overnight. Someone had forgotten to switch them on in the morning. Hence all had flat batteries.

Kew stored theirs in a modified bike shed away from buildings.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EV’s of all shapes can be a fire risk. What worries me most is the mobility scooters, scooters, and hoverboards aimed at younger people generally.

John
As said any vehicle can catch fire, but extinguishing the fire is the big issue especially on EVs. A very big concern is mobility scooters, scooters etc which are normally stored inside the home and can catch fire unexpectedly destroying homes and even lives

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The earth has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time.
Science has discovered ways to measure temperatures to a fraction of a degree, and the advances in global communication means that if it's warmer at a location halfway across the world, we can know about it within the hour.
The Black Country urban sprawl where I live was once submerged under a relatively shallow tropical sea.
Fossils of Trilobites, prehistoric animals that thrived in tropical waters are so common here, they are often known as 'Dudley Locusts'
A narrowboat trip to the underground limestone mines in which a canal passes through will reveal a fossilised coral reef at the entrance to one end of the canal tunnels.
Climate is ever changing and evolving.
Discarding the advantages brought about in modern times and paying more for less in Britain will make no difference to nature or climate.
Natural changes in climate are far slower than we're experiencing right now, 10s of 1,000s of years not 10s of years. The indifference of some countries is no excuse for us to do nothing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Natural changes in climate are far slower than we're experiencing right now, 10s of 1,000s of years not 10s of years. The indifference of some countries is no excuse for us to do nothing.
However our records only go back about 100 - 150 years so in the big picture hardly an indication of massive climate change which is probably a natural occurrence anyway and was going to happen without the help of mankind.

However scientists get paid big money whether they are right or wrong as long as they can help put money ito the treasury? Over the years and in our lifetime we have seen many dire predictions never happen.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The ability to measure the factors used by climate change scientists to support their doomsday theories has advanced in the past few years.
Every minute variation in temperature anywhere in the world is now being used to threaten us into compliance.
The British propensity for self abasemement means that the majority will blindly obey as the useless political class pretend to be 'leaders on the world stage' as they import power and resources and claim to be net zero.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The ability to measure the factors used by climate change scientists to support their doomsday theories has advanced in the past few years.
Every minute variation in temperature anywhere in the world is now being used to threaten us into compliance.
The British propensity for self abasemement means that the majority will blindly obey as the useless political class pretend to be 'leaders on the world stage' as they import power and resources and claim to be net zero.
Let's avoid getting into politics!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why you think Parksy's post is getting into politics?
The last four lines are getting political. I cannot recall anyone in Government claiming we are “net zero”. That’s not targeted until 2050 unless I’ve misunderstood the agenda. Correct me if I’m wrong.

PS edit. On my phone the latter text came across as four lines. On my IPad it’s only two lines. But I stand by my comment nevertheles.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Let's avoid getting into politics!
The last four lines are getting political. I cannot recall anyone in Government claiming we are “net zero”. That’s not targeted until 2050 unless I’ve misunderstood the agenda. Correct me if I’m wrong.
I haven't mentioned any particular politician or political party.
As far as I'm concerned, every one of them is useless and involved in the biggest scam in history.
It's true that the stated aim is for Britain to become net zero by 2050, and I won't be around then.
The green agenda has begun to affect our lives now though.
There always has been and always will be extremes of weather somewhere in the world.
The trouble is that variations in weather conditions have been weaponised to force us to pay more for less.
I'm aware that many will disagree with me, that's up to them.
I have my opinion, based on years of scaremongering which has now been monetised so that all forms of dissent are immediately shut down.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I haven't mentioned any particular politician or political party.
As far as I'm concerned, every one of them is useless and involved in the biggest scam in history.
It's true that the stated aim is for Britain to become net zero by 2050, and I won't be around then.
The green agenda has begun to affect our lives now though.
There always has been and always will be extremes of weather somewhere in the world.
The trouble is that variations in weather conditions have been weaponised to force us to pay more for less.
I'm aware that many will disagree with me, that's up to them.
I have my opinion, based on years of scaremongering which has now been monetised so that all forms of dissent are immediately shut down.
I do not disagree with you in terms of how this is being handled or mishandled by politicians and countries worldwide. Also the blatant profiteering by some.

But, if we are to believe the scientist, (and by and large I do). And yes some of what they say is sensationalised and contradictory. Great efforts have to be made. We have a long way to go but I feel progress is being made.

Does going into denial mean being totally unconcerned with what pollution we make? How much is too much?

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I do not disagree with you in terms of how this is being handled or mishandled by politicians and countries worldwide. Also the blatant profiteering by some.

But, if we are to believe the scientist, (and by and large I do). And yes some of what they say is sensationalised and contradictory. Great efforts have to be made. We have a long way to go but I feel progress is being made.

Does going into denial mean being totally unconcerned with what pollution we make? How much is too much?

John
And herein lies the problem. The “Scientists “ are not of one mind . Some say with evidence the last decade has seen less temperature variation, fewer forest fires, less volcanic eruptions and less ice cap deterioration.
Whatever camp we choose to be in will be proven wrong . I too will be dead and gone before anything changes.
I suggest as an example the cost of repairing EVs and ICEs has increased so much a number of mainstream Insurers have pulled out of car insurance. We should look closer to home and understand why our costs are increasing before we cannot afford to insure our cars. And I haven’t seen anything political at all , yet!

Reactions: Buckman and Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
And herein lies the problem. The “Scientists “ are not of one mind . Some say with evidence the last decade has seen less temperature variation, fewer forest fires, less volcanic eruptions and less ice cap deterioration.
Whatever camp we choose to be in will be proven wrong . I too will be dead and gone before anything changes.
I suggest as an example the cost of repairing EVs and ICEs has increased so much a number of mainstream Insurers have pulled out of car insurance. We should look closer to home and understand why our costs are increasing before we cannot afford to insure our cars. And I haven’t seen anything political at all , yet!
Yes, there is a difference of opinion, mainly on precise causes, surely that is healthy. But the consensus is exceedingly overwhelming regarding change with progressive consequences.

I also will not be here when things get worse. But I have loads of grandchildren and great grandchildren.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Taking your comment wrt less sea ice deterioration over the last ten years I have been looking for supportive information but I have found none. Where do you obtain that information from.? I’d be interested to read it. What I have found are reports from several recognised scientific organisations using satellite records and terrestrial data, and there is an overwhelming argument that sea ice in the Artic has measurable reduced. Here is one such report.

Like JC I give thought to the world as it will be in the future and what it will be like for generations hence not just in Britain but globally in countries less developed than we are.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's no doubt that global climate always has and always will change and evolve.
I'm not convinced that the changes are due to human activity.
For me, there are too many wealthy people increasing their wealth via this unmandated green agenda.
Even if we are entirely responsible for an increase in the incidence of global extreme weather conditions, no amount of self flaggelation or self denial in Britain will make any difference.
I won't be buying an ev or an air source heat pump anytime soon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Putting climate change to one side for a moment, if we take the issue of air quality and pollution. I like Parksy and several others live in an area of the West Midlands known as the Black Country. It got its name from the thick film of soot and other debris that belched out of the thousands of factories that set up during the industrial revelation.

History unequivocally shows that the health of the region was one of the poorest in the country, with lung related illness particularly high. Some of us can remember the pea soup fogs in London and other densely urban areas also, and across the Pond the Los Angeles smog etc etc.

All these events are very well documented and show the unbridled use of industrial processes and copious amounts of energy for transport and heating have turned various locations decidedly dangerous, all down to the additional load of pollution the Human Race has added to the environment. And we have seen it with our own eyes.

What is also very clear is when action is taken to reduce some types of emissions, how that has managed to reduce some of the worst effects on the environment.

But we are still producing far to much pollution, and that is where we can and should make a difference. We should all be mindful of how our personal activities can affect others now and in the future.

I do think that whilst we may not have been personally responsible for some of the worst excesses that have occured before we were even born, we do have a responsibility to try put some of those excesses right and set in place ongoing improvements for our descendants.

I am certain I'll not see the final solution to air pollution in my life time, but I would like to see a measurable movement towards a far more ecologically balanced existence for the Human Race and all life on earth.

Whilst each small improvement we personally make may seem too trivial to be worth it, but when everybody's trivial changes are all put together it begins to to make a positive change.

Everyone has their own personal circumstances, so how much of a change they can make will be different for everyone. there will be a varied range of range of degree of involvement. But even with this period of ultra high energy costs, most of us have attempted to cut down on the amount of energy we use principally to keep our bills as small as possible, but that is one of the biggest changes we can make. Cut down on energy usage, if we can do the same work with less energy we have improved our efficiencies, and cut down on emissions.

And now this is where the issue of climate change returns, The less emissions we put into the ecosystem the less material there is to upset the natural rhythms of nature.

I wonder if climate change and in particular global warming is nature's way of dealing with the human infestation crawling all over the earths surface. In the same way we fight of infections by raising our body temperature.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Even if the UK achieved the impossible of being able to use the silly term "net zero" what is going to stop pollution blowing in from sources in other countries? Yes we do need to cut back on pollution, but lets do it within reason without penalising everyone!

Not sure how accurate these figures are, but apparently a battery in an electric car, let's say an average Tesla, is made of:

25 pounds of lithium,
60 pounds of nickel,
44 pounds of manganese,
30 pounds of cobalt,
200 pounds of copper,

and 400 pounds of aluminium, steel, and plastic, etc.... averaging 750-1,000 pounds of minerals, that had to be mined and processed into a battery that merely stores electricity.... Electricity which is generated by oil, gas, coal, or water ( and a tiny fraction of wind and solar )....

Lithium is refined from ore using sulphuric acid which is toxic to the environment. That is the truth, about "green" energy.

There's nothing green about the "Green New Deal".

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Even if the UK achieved the impossible of being able to use the silly term "net zero" what is going to stop pollution blowing in from sources in other countries? Yes we do need to cut back on pollution, but lets do it within reason without penalising everyone!

Not sure how accurate these figures are, but apparently a battery in an electric car, let's say an average Tesla, is made of:

25 pounds of lithium,
60 pounds of nickel,
44 pounds of manganese,
30 pounds of cobalt,
200 pounds of copper,

and 400 pounds of aluminium, steel, and plastic, etc.... averaging 750-1,000 pounds of minerals, that had to be mined and processed into a battery that merely stores electricity.... Electricity which is generated by oil, gas, coal, or water ( and a tiny fraction of wind and solar )....

Lithium is refined from ore using sulphuric acid which is toxic to the environment. That is the truth, about "green" energy.

Similarly, there is nothing green about conventional cars. The advice is not to “live green”. Most concede that that is unachievable. That is why we attempt to minimise our impact and compromise on what we do. Also to create and deliver new methods of disposing of waste. Which is the aim of ‘net zero’. Can you suggest a better term?

What you don’t say is how your example compares to any alternatives. Without a comparison it becomes meaningless.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I willingly concede Prof's point regarding the reduction of air pollution in heavily industrialised areas of Britain, and this reduction is markedly noticeable in the Black Country, and in fact I agree that a massive change has taken place.
My late father would struggle to recognise the areas in which he toiled in iron foundries and steelworks, and we have reaped the health benefits since heavy industry was swept away from the West Midlands and Northern Britain.
Alongside the health benefits of de-industrialisation came penalties in terms of wholesale job losses, massively reduced incomes and fewer opportunities for employment.
So, as far as I'm concerned we've done our bit.
Let the high polluting nations do theirs before we tighten our belts any further.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

25 pounds of lithium,
60 pounds of nickel,
44 pounds of manganese,
30 pounds of cobalt,
200 pounds of copper,

"Net Zero" is all about trying to minimise carbon dioxide emissions in order to combat global warming. It has little to do with pollution in UK. Whilst there are occasions when airborne pollutants from Europe come here, but in the main our prevailing westerly winds push our pollutants towards Europe. The issue wrt pollution tends to be in our towns and cities where the UK was taken to the European Court of Justice for breaching our own legally binding levels of pollution. Even our own Supreme Court quashed Government plans as ineffective and and basically told them to get a grip.

"The limits set out on air pollution under EU Directive 2008/50/EC had to be met in two stages, by 2005 and 2010, but are still being breached as of 2018."

Clearly the further expansion of LEZ, and ULEZ is intended to reduce the urban pollutant levels down to the legal levels. No doubt the introduction of cleaner ICE engines and the wider take up of SCEV, PHEV, EV should start to improve the situation, but as in post 1 it is not just engines and transport that cause this pollution, but transport plays a major part.

The metals listed in your post can be recycled, ( coal, gas and oil cannot) although at present large scale recycling of batteries isn't commercially viable given their good life expectancy. But this does not mean to say that nothing is being done. Having seen the Alberta tars sands, and German and Polish open cast mines for soft coal, I think that at times the detractors of green (electric or sustainable energy) don't want to recognise the immense environmental damage attributable to fossil fuels. Not everywhere is as pristine as Poole Harbours oil field, with not a flare in sight, and strict controls over any levels of pollution.

The two links refer to battery recycling from Warwick (University) Manufacturing Group and for comparison the damage caused by oil extraction in an area of Nigeria, and not unique.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/people/wmginsight/battery-recycling/

unep-ogoniland-oil-assessment-reveals-extent-environmental-contamination-and

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Alongside the health benefits of de-industrialisation came penalties in terms of wholesale job losses, massively reduced incomes and fewer opportunities for employment.
Or, opportunities in retraining, redeployment, education, less hours, better health, improved safety, improved leisure time, holidays. All part of innovation, evolution and advancement.

Reminiscent of:

England's rural peasants had enough of “threshing” machines,” which mechanised the separation of grain from husk and, in replacing manual labor, denied farm workers an important source of income. It would lead to the largest wave of unrest in English history.

And previously there was:

Johannes Gutenberg!​

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts