You Dont REALLY Mean 4x4s do you !!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
All this talk of 4x4's being good, bad or otherwise is a bit rubbish really isn't it ???

Let me explain ............. Its the use of the phrase "4x4".

I think that when many many people, particularly the anti "4x4" brigade, moan about "4x4" vehicles what they ACTUALLY mean are large 4 wheel drive (soft)off road type thingies like RangeRover, Shogun, Disco etc etc.

They don't actually mean all the others like Audi 4 wheel drive saloons, Subaru Forrester Estate, Skoda 4 wheel drive saloon, Fiat Punto 4 wheel drive (yes they make one !) nor do they mean the large 2 wheel drive versions of Hyundai Tucson, RAV4 etc (for example)

BUT

in their ignorance they simply put all these LARGE vehicles into one group and call them 4x4's

so

lets hope people can be a little more specific when discussing the pros, cons or otherwise of 4 wheel drive vehicles.

I don't personally care if a person's vehicle has 4 wheel drive or not, its their choice. I have had both and currently do not have a large off road type 4 wheel drive thingy cause I cant afford to fuel costs !!

I don't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to make a point (but have probably made a hash of it).

Steve

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Got to laugh at the Punto 4x4! Steve its actually not in production yet, When it it is, it will be a two seater mid engin beast of a car, putting out around 210bhp, bearing in mind the New Civic Type R only puts 198bhp.

Got to laugh though as both my Type R and Adrians Evo IV (410bhp) have higher exhaust Emissions that our 4X4 ( Nissan Navara 2.5 Sport) 138bhp.

And yet people complain about 4x4's but i consider the Evo far more gas guzzling and dangerouse than our real one.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I dont have a 4x4 but would love one, all of you that have the luxury of a decent disco or a terrano i envy you. great machines, as far as i am concerned they chuck out less emmissions than an evo or cossie so they have every right to be a part of the traffic system.

my next car is the black 4x4 from torchwood. (Fingers crossed and rubbing a 4 leaf clover, touching the biggest piece of wood ever)

while china and the usa are polluting as they are our meaninless attempts of preserving the planet are merely an excuse for our crap awful labour goverment to screw us on taxation.

dont let the anti's drag you down, jealousy is a cruel mistress!

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Ah, i see. But has'nt Punto 4x4 been launched in Germany already?Its due to be launched here later this year, with Delivery for March, But thought the launch was, Italy, Germany, UK, and so on?

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Mike Ace, People will knock 4x4's and thier owners. I have been called an inconsiderete 4x4 owner and asked what the hell a woman was doing being allowed to drive a car like that.

I am not going to make exscuses, but i will say the Nav arrived before the caravan and it ferries our Rottie and FoxhoundxGSD around and it pulls our T/A like its not on the back.

In short if its what you really want, go out and get it. Then drive it and enjoy it, you worked hard for it, and you earned it.

Good luck Diane

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks LUTZ for correcting me, yes I do mean the Panda 4 wheel drive. Thames Valley Police actually had one in service some years ago !!!

MIKE ACE, you make an excellent point (IMHO) about the USA and China. We are in agreement on that.

As for me. If (when ?) I win the lottery I WILL be looking seriously at RangeRover / Disco 3 type vehicle.

Steve

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Couple of things.

Isnt the Rav4 a permanent 4 wheel drive vehicle?

I dont think they include the lise of the Audi Q7 and the Vovlo XC90 in the Big chelsea tractor/Gas guzzler umbrella. I know i dont. IMO the chelsea tractors are the X5, Cayenne, ML class etc etc. They all have the huge engines but have very little ,if not no, off road capabilities. The like of the forrester, XC90 and Q7 are actually q

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
That'll teach me.....

Carry on from the above post.

The forrester, XC90 and Q7 are actually quite capable of being used off road providing you saty away from plowed feilds and cheiften tank training areas

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Each to his own I say. I used to have an Impreza AWD. Used to go skiing a lot in those days & it was great in the snow. I have an X-Type Jag AWD now. Just as good as the scooby in the slippy stuff but a little more refined. Also heavy enough to tow a decent caravan.

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
We recently spent the Bank Holiday in Pembroke and were particulary incensed to find, on returning to the car park from a particularly nice walk along the coastal path that someone had left a leaflet on our car - "Poor Vehicle Choice" A dirty and Dangerous Car (as you should know). These people know absolutely nothing about our life style and our reason behind our choice of car.

We drive a British made Discovery towing a British made Bailey Senator Caravan. Had we decided to spend our disposable income jetting off for long weekends to warmer clims and then, possibly a long haul trip from time to time, we would have remained anonymous and not an easy target for these people.

We do have a social conscience and appreciate the affect global warming is having but leaflets like these really make me angry. Disgruntly Disco Driver

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
The Fiat Panda 4wd was actually a very useful car for those who genuinely needed cheap 4wd in alpine areas but no need for offroad capability, also the Q7 etc named as chelsea tractors are probably the best towcars as you do not need offroad capability to tow a caravan but 4wd combined with roadgoing suspension and tyres is very useful, the most unstable car I have ever driven solo or towing is regarded as one of the best offroad.

I do not think that caravanning is environmentally freindly, since we bought our caravan we use a LOT more fuel as we are going away more, without a caravan we would perhaps fly once a year and go on day trips in the uk or stay in hotels, now we have a caravan we go away more to justify the cost of the caravan, we drive a larger car that uses twice as much fuel when towing. I frequently hear "We NEED a big car to tow our caravan" sorry, but no-one NEEDS to tow a caravan. "We WANT a big car because we WANT to tow a caravan" is fine by me, do what you want and drive what you want, I'm no tree hugger but the argument that you need a big car can be ripped apart by the tree huggers.

The fact that I have brought three children into this world, all eventually wanting cars and warm houses etc will damage the environment infinitely more than what car I drive. The next time you are criticised by a tree hugger, ask them how many children they have (If they say none, shut up and change the subject!)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is global warming happening? - Yes,without a doubt.

Is global warming caused or made worse by mankinds activities?-It might be,but it isn't a proven fact. Scientists are definetely not in agreement that Man's activities have caused global warming. We know that throughout time there has been regular cyclical climate change on earth, this fact is indisputable. The problem that we in Britain now face is whether the steady drip drip drip of ecological 'propaganda' or pressure, depending on ones viewpoint, is correct.

Now that green issues have become so popular in Whitehall and are being hi jacked as a cover for more stealth taxes more people are sceptical. By scapegoating sections of the community such as 4x4 drivers and air passengers more of the population are becoming 'anti'.

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
This is a topic which will always rage on. To the folk who buy 4 wheel drives for the safety of their children, they should check out other vehicles safety tests and they would find that in some cases the 4WD is not the best option. It's all a matter of personal choice and domestic circumstances. Our Terrano is brill, had it nearly 18 months and it's done everything we have asked, though might get some knobblier tyres next time!! It was the envy of many car drivers including Mercedes and Porsche owners during the floods here in Gloucestershire, picked up debris in the front grille!! Would definitely have another.

Sue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts