“Combined” Weighbridge weight correct or wrong?

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We want to know the exact weight of the Caravan, so we can judge whether we can strap on a bike rack on the back :)

If we are nearing the limit of the upgraded weight of 2000kg then obviously this is a no no.
So knowing the empty weight is not what your after, its the fully loaded weight you need, and that will tell if you have load margin left for adding the bike rack.

The Reich weighing system is a great way to go, providing its reasonably accurate. as you can check almost any time you like. You can also check all the essential weights and loads of your entire outfit.

Just remember the whole weight of the caravan is the sum of the weight on the road wheels plus any other point of support such as the hitch or the jockey wheel. which needs to be within the the caravans MTPLM.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
So with the Reich weighting system, does it automatically know it's reading all twin axle wheels then you place it under the jockey wheel? and it then calculates the whole KG of all 4+1 points?

Seems a bit expensive, but would be a good way of weighing if I take the caravan to an empty car park for example, with flat ground

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So with the Reich weighting system, does it automatically know it's reading all twin axle wheels then you place it under the jockey wheel? and it then calculates the whole KG of all 4+1 points?

Seems a bit expensive, but would be a good way of weighing if I take the caravan to an empty car park for example, with flat ground
It will give total of the 4 wheels, you have to weigh the jockey wheel separate.
17167216415974013674638976890542.jpg

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does the Reich lift the tyre up so much the second tyre is completely off the ground also?

I mean, if it's not then it's a false reading because some of the weight is still being carried by the same side second tyre...

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does the Reich lift the tyre up so much the second tyre is completely off the ground also?

I mean, if it's not then it's a false reading because some of the weight is still being carried by the same side second tyre...
Sorry the Rhum I like is more than a new Weight gauge.
A good point about the second wheel on a twin Axle, I don't know. I don't think it does as otherwise both wheels when weighed would show the same weight.
Reich have done their sums and have got it sorted. The gauge, only lifts the wheel by 1 inch as it rolls over, I see there are now ramps , that can be bought to gently ride up the gauge. I found it best to put a flat 1/4 ply board down to put the gauge on rather than just put it on the road / paving. As the sensor points are so small.
17167384639887199828104613464584.jpg17167385832672303425756476467598.jpg

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I worked in Trinidad for 4 years, this Rum is fantastic.

But Vat 19 was the favourite.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site

But you weigh all 4 wheels (plus the jockey wheel) and add them together. The only issue I can see is that by raising one wheel you're taking some of the weight from the other axle so it could weigh slightly over. I guess that Reich have factored this in or the amount you raise it doesn't make much difference.

Think about a motothome, you weigh the 4 corners then add them together for the total weight, same with a twin axle caravan.

Does anyone near Swindon have one I could borrow for an hour?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Reich units (Orange and Yellow) are about 2cm thick so each wheel is lifted by that amount as you roll over the unit. That will cause the the vehicles Center of Gravity to move away by a small amount from the wheel being weighed, and that means the unit will show a slightly lower value. To remove this error if the other wheel on the axle is driven over a piece of 2cm wood so both wheel are raised by the same amount at the same time the error will be reduced to an insignificant amount

Both units have various operating modes which can handle a range of tow vehicles, trailers and camper vans, and can give a totalled up result, but the reality is its only simple addition, and to find the true nose load a straight forward subtraction.

The chances are the Reich units will be more than accurate enough to give you the answers you need.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
The Reich units (Orange and Yellow) are about 2cm thick so each wheel is lifted by that amount as you roll over the unit. That will cause the the vehicles Center of Gravity to move away by a small amount from the wheel being weighed, and that means the unit will show a slightly lower value.
That's true, but for a twin you also have the weight distribution changing between axles if the wheels are raised independently. A 1000kg twin axle caravan could have exactly 500kg on each axle, 250kg on each wheel. If you lifted one wheel the load on that wheel would gradually increase until the other wheel on the same side was off the ground, at which point the wheel you were lifting would be supporting 500kg (discounting the centre of gravity change).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's true, but for a twin you also have the weight distribution changing between axles if the wheels are raised independently. A 1000kg twin axle caravan could have exactly 500kg on each axle, 250kg on each wheel. If you lifted one wheel the load on that wheel would gradually increase until the other wheel on the same side was off the ground, at which point the wheel you were lifting would be supporting 500kg (discounting the centre of gravity change).
The principle of what you have posted is correct, but a 2cm thickness of a Reich caravan weight control is no where near enough to cause the degree of tilt you have described, and it is the reason why I suggest using similar thickness wood under the other wheels to minimise or even eliminate the effect of any lift caused by the measurement device.

The Reich unit works in the same way as the authorities mobile axle load systems, except the authorities have two devices which weigh both road wheels on the same axle at the same time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reich claim an accuracy of +/-3% for their caravan weight control devices, which is about as good you'll get without using devices costing £thousnds.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Depending on the spring rates of the suspension of a twin axle, putting just one wheel of a twin axle on a weight gauge will obviously reduce the load of the second wheel to a greater or lesser degree if the that wheel is unsupported. In the extreme, if the suspension were to have an infinite spring rate, i.e. solid, putting one wheel on the weight gauge would lift the other completely off the ground and the total weight of one side of the caravan would be measured by the gauge. By doing the same then with the other wheel one would get the same result. Adding the two together would then obviously give you much too high a reading for that one side.

Reactions: Beardy
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I would presume Reich have done their research and their product works well

Other half (the boss) has said No... I'll maybe sneak an order in one of these days when she isn't looking ;)

She mentioned we would need to have the Caravan weighed, 17 times, and that won't happen.

@Hutch That bottle of Co-Op super crap strength Rum is still available, straight swap ;) haha

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Depending on the spring rates of the suspension of a twin axle, putting just one wheel of a twin axle on a weight gauge will obviously reduce the load of the second wheel to a greater or lesser degree if the that wheel is unsupported. In the extreme, if the suspension were to have an infinite spring rate, i.e. solid, putting one wheel on the weight gauge would lift the other completely off the ground and the total weight of one side of the caravan would be measured by the gauge. By doing the same then with the other wheel one would get the same result. Adding the two together would then obviously give you much too high a reading for that one side.
Exactly.
I can only assume that Reich have determined that the difference is within their stated accuracy range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts