112 - European Emergency Telephone Number

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Today is apparently 112 day! 112 is a European wide emergency services number, that anyone can call in any European country, and speak to the emergency services in their own language. Apparently it's supposed to be being publicised today as '112 day' (11th February, get it!!???). It doesn't replace 999, but is a memorable number, applicable in all European countries.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
112 has been available in Britain for several years. Whether non-English speakers can use it to get an emergency service in their own language I've no idea - maybe Welshmen use it.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
According to the article on Radio 4 at lunchtime they can. The speaker promoting it stated that you should be able to ring and ask for any European language. I think I'll believe that when I see it.

We haven't tried it in Europe either - and it would be interesting to know if anyone has.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
English appears to be the 'non local' language available in most countries with some systems offering the language of an adjioning country on request.

Maybe due to so much english language film and T.V. available abroad - and the level of foreign language teaching here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
English appears to be the 'non local' language available in most countries with some systems offering the language of an adjioning country on request.

Maybe due to so much english language film and T.V. available abroad - and the level of foreign language teaching here.
Now Mike - I'm an ex [thank goodness] teacher of primary school French, so I do know what I am talking about here. Its nothing what so ever about the standards of teaching, but that governments of different hues that have made language teaching a low priority. We ran a very successful programme in my school until the Government at the time indirectly stopped it.

Added to that is the reluctance of the English to attempt to talk to anyone in anything other than their native tongue.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, if you ring 112 in the UK you will first of all speak to a BT emergency call taker (or Cable and Wireless if they're your provider). That operator (if police are requested) will then transfer you to the appropriate police control room (decided by postcode or mobile mast location). This is identical to the 999 service. If you are unable to speak English the police will use a system such as Language Line which connects to an interpreter and a three way conversation will take place. This system covers most of the world's major languages and not just European. I'd Imagine that our European friends would use a similar system. I doubt they keep a roomful of linguists at the ready.

Chris

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Now Mike - I'm an ex [thank goodness] teacher of primary school French, so I do know what I am talking about here. Its nothing what so ever about the standards of teaching, but that governments of different hues that have made language teaching a low priority. We ran a very successful programme in my school until the Government at the time indirectly stopped it.

Added to that is the reluctance of the English to attempt to talk to anyone in anything other than their native tongue.
Hello Evans,

I expected my offering to raise comment hence my choice of 'level of teaching' not standard.

I once raised the question of lack of continuity of relief French language teachers used in a school year (3) to be told that the school felt itself lucky to get any linguist so I agree with your point about low priority. This was after taking my children, with friend, to France and seeing the look of incredulity on the face of the site/restaurant owner as she heard them 'gargle' through basic exercises, my name is . . .I am 14 years old etc. I also agree with your point about the reluctance to speak a foreigh language - and have seen the theory that 'if they do not understand - shout' being put into practice. So I do sympathise with you.

But there is still the fact that the children abroad are exposed to much English language programming.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Evans,

I expected my offering to raise comment hence my choice of 'level of teaching' not standard.

I once raised the question of lack of continuity of relief French language teachers used in a school year (3) to be told that the school felt itself lucky to get any linguist so I agree with your point about low priority. This was after taking my children, with friend, to France and seeing the look of incredulity on the face of the site/restaurant owner as she heard them 'gargle' through basic exercises, my name is . . .I am 14 years old etc. I also agree with your point about the reluctance to speak a foreigh language - and have seen the theory that 'if they do not understand - shout' being put into practice. So I do sympathise with you.

But there is still the fact that the children abroad are exposed to much English language programming.
Very true Mike.

Part of the problem is the National Curriculum which allows children to give up foreign languages at the age of 14; effectively this means that two years of learning have been knocked off their education of French, Spanish, Chinese etc.

As the French might say 'Bizarre.'

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Very true Mike.

Part of the problem is the National Curriculum which allows children to give up foreign languages at the age of 14; effectively this means that two years of learning have been knocked off their education of French, Spanish, Chinese etc.

As the French might say 'Bizarre.'
. . . . . to be replaced by sociology, media studies, resistant materials and such like ? Looks good in the league tables though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
17 applies only to France and is their alternative to 112 if you want the police. The fire brigade is 18 and ambulance 19, but there again, only in France.

By the way, in several countries, the 112 will also put you through to the police first. They will connect you with the fire brigade or ambulance, as necessary. Other numbers still apply in some countries (Belgium, Austria, Poland, for example) if you require a direct line to the fire brigade or ambulance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts