13 pin Euro plug on a 2007 Bailey?

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I've just purchased a second hand Bailey privately (2007 Series 6 Pageant) and am hoping to pick it up this week. The chap I'm buying it off has mentioned that it only has one electrical lead to connect to the car and it is a 13 pin euro style connector.

Is this normal? I'm new to this towing game, but my understanding was that the 13 pin euro fitting was only for non UK caravans - why would this Bailey have only one lead and a non (UK) standard plug? Admittedly I've not seen any other

Series 6 models but all the Series 5's I've seen have both the grey and the black 7 pin UK standard plugs.

I know I can sort this out with rewiring and adapters, but although I've been to see the caravan and the rest of it looks fine, obviously I want to make sure that this is pukka before I part with my hard earned cash.

Thanks again everyone,

Dave

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

There's quite a few reasons:

Most European made cars only offer the 13 pin connector and the owner switched the caravan plug to suit

The owner had had problems with the 12S fridge connectors burning out on other caravans and decided to do it right this time

It's technically a much better connector and this year the UK caravan industry adopts the 13 pin ISO 11446 connector - 20 years after it was introduced

Robert

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Excellent, thanks Rob. Unfortunately I have a British car (P38 Range Rover), so I'm guessing it will be another 20 years before I can get some suitable wiring to match :)

Looks like I'm stuck with 12n + s and an adapter and burnt out fridge connectors for the time being, either that or I'll have to get my soldering iron out.

Thanks for the quick reply

D

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
13-pin sockets for the car are readily available, so fitting one of those would be the better way to go rather than use an adapter, especially as the UK caravan industry is in the process of changing over to 13-pin across the board, It will therefore not be long before appropriate connections for the car will become standard, too.

You shouldn't need a soldering iron to connect a 13-pin socket.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
"You shouldn't need a soldering iron to connect a 13-pin socket."

So far I haven't found anything for my car that goes from the car's harness to 13 pin standard. I can get 12S and 12N looms from LandRover that plug dircetly into the harness, so my assumption was that I need to install these, cut the sockets off and solder (or crimp) the wires to a Euro 13 pin socket.

D

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Normally, the wires of each loom will be fastened at the respective socket pin by screws, so there should be no need to cut the original 12N and 12S sockets off the each of the two looms. Just unscrew each wire from the existing 12N and 12S sockets and discard them. Then, combine the two looms by connecting them both to one 13-pin socket. Shouldn't be too difficult. You just need to buy a 13-pin socket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts