1st caravan .

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks , were looking for our 1st van , and have seen a 2004 Elddis superstorm luxury 4 berth on a website for sale at £2900 complete with all paperwork etc, does this sound like a bargain or should i give it a wide body swerve ??? any advice would be appreciated , thank you .

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi mise15,
Sorry but I'm not up to speed on caravan prices. Just posting to say that although a lot of internet caravan sales are genuine there are a few people about who would be more than happy to rip you off. I have read a few postings on different forums warning members of potential scams on website sale offers - generally ebay. These seem to often involve stories about the "owners" being out of the country so you can't go and view the van but they will arrange someone to bring it to you on the day of purchase (possibley stolen from storage the day they bring it to you). Not to say that is the case with the one you have spotted but something to be aware of.
Is the van you are interested in parked at the current owners property or in storage.If stored at their home and you can view it there, the CRiS document should confirm their name and address. Does the paperwork include details of services and damp checks?
Sure someone who is more knowledgable in the purchase of used vans will be along shortly and able to give better advice.
Good luck with whatever you do
Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It sounds very cheap to me - as there's a 2003 advertised on another Caravan Forum Free Ads for £8,600! I would be very careful and check out that it's not stolen, along with the paperwork. Check the CRIS registration, and make sure you get proper advice from someone who knows what they are buying. I'm no expect, and no doubt you'll get more skilled answers from some of our more knowledgeable contributors, but I just wanted to warn that cheap is not always what it seems, and can sometimes be a complete (and well put together) scam!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Look on Caravan finder website for a good idea of the current price range for similar vans. Dealers will be a more expensive than private sales but if the difference is thousands and thousands, then approach with serious caution. As this is your first van it is a good idea to have a look around a couple of large dealerships to get a feel for the market and what to look for, even if you don't end up buying from a dealer. You have been given good advice in the posts above. Enjoy your van shopping.
mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the red croc wearer, an Elddis 4 berth Superstorm should fetch around £7K so this caravan is seriously underpriced.
Have a look at an online Price Guide where this 2004 model is listed at £8K for a private sale. If the caravan is advertised on Ebay has the seller acquired any feedback? If they are listed as having no feedback I'd forget it if I were you. A browse around Ebay at Elddis caravans will give some indication of prices being asked for any given year of manufacture. If you are considering buying your first caravan there are some things that you need to bear in mind. First of all set your budget, then choose what sort of layout you would like. Find out what your towing vehicle can tow legally and safely before buying any caravan and check what your driving licence allows you to tow. If you need any advice get back to us, we'll be happy to offer advice which might prevent you from making expensive mistakes
smiley-wink.gif

Good Luck

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Also bear in mind that the caravan is only the start! You'll then need to budget around £1000 or more for all the kit to go with it.
The best starter caravan would be to look for one which is being sold privately by someone giving up caravanning, ideally because of age or illness. That way you'll probably get all the kit thrown in, and you'll meet its owners, so you'll get some idea of how its been used.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
This is without a doubt a scam! Beware also of people who state that they have had a lot of time wasters and they want to see that you have the necessary funds. They ask you to raise a moneygram made out to yourself, a relative or a friend and to send them a copy of the moneygram removing all your personal details. The latter is stressed which makes you think it is okay and safe. You do this and then find to your horror that the moneygram has been caashed and the caravan is no existant. There is a link on a CAB site to this scam. Beware.
You did the right thing by making an inquiry on this forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts