2008 Swift Charisma - Draindown

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone confirm the draindown procedure for our 2008 Charisma 590 ? I can't see any drain points under the van although the hot water tank drain tap is obvious. How do you drain down the cold system.

Also looking for advice on setup for isolating the onboard water tank - presume both valves go to the closed position?

Thanks Gordon

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gordon

Surely your dealer explained this in detail at the time of collection?

We must have spent 15 minutes going through the various permutations of the two taps controlling the water system plus the tap beneath the cold tank which allows for drainage, once the two control taps and sink tap have been set correctly. Don't forget the hot tank as well.

Ours is a 2008 Wyoming so it might be different to yours.

Perhaps a trip to the dealer tomorrow morning? Doesn't your handbook explain this too?

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gordon , I have a 2006 Ace so perhaps Swift group have a common standard. on my van there are "drain downs" for both the hot and cold pipeworks. They are under the floor of the van in the area below the water pump input,. The are teed into the hot and cold pipeworks and each has a collar that has to be pushed towards the floor whilst pulling out the bung.

Ray

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray

Don't forget it is important to have the two control taps set at the discharge position otherwise the whole of the cold tank and water in the pipes doesn't drain out. Well that's how it is in the Bailey.

Cheers

Alan

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi MAte

Okay look under the seat at the front on the van, RH side as you face forward, there are two taps, one of which you lift up, this will drain down the water system. Obviously not the toilet but this will clear the stored water including the hot system.

Regards

Richard

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. My own fault re the delear as I thought the water system would be the same as the 2005 Abbey I traded in! I was in a bit of a rush and declined the offer of explanation, figured I would work it out! Also the caravan manual shows a different layout of taps and pipes to the layout in our new van - however I spoke to my dealer and now have the info for isolating the inboard tank. To drain down you need to run the inboard pump dry for 2 minutes with the hot water tank drian tap open. This will empty the pump and pipework of any water remianing in the system. Must admit that it does go against the grain to run a pump dry after many years using submersible whale type pumps.

Hopefully this has worked as it's forecast to be minus 5 degrees in Aberdeenshire tonight.

Gordon

Oct 20, 2005
Visit site
Your dealer should have an onboard plumber, Mr Stog of the Dump, residing in the 'lang shed'.

If he not there, its likely that old Peter will advise that you simply 'wiggle the pipes'

All the best

Graham

Oct 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gordon

Surely your dealer explained this in detail at the time of collection?

We must have spent 15 minutes going through the various permutations of the two taps controlling the water system plus the tap beneath the cold tank which allows for drainage, once the two control taps and sink tap have been set correctly. Don't forget the hot tank as well.

Ours is a 2008 Wyoming so it might be different to yours.

Perhaps a trip to the dealer tomorrow morning? Doesn't your handbook explain this too?

Cheers

Alan
The boys caravan is a Swift Charisma and not a Bailey Wyoming so yes Alan it will be different.

All the best

Graham

Feb 23, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. My own fault re the delear as I thought the water system would be the same as the 2005 Abbey I traded in! I was in a bit of a rush and declined the offer of explanation, figured I would work it out! Also the caravan manual shows a different layout of taps and pipes to the layout in our new van - however I spoke to my dealer and now have the info for isolating the inboard tank. To drain down you need to run the inboard pump dry for 2 minutes with the hot water tank drian tap open. This will empty the pump and pipework of any water remianing in the system. Must admit that it does go against the grain to run a pump dry after many years using submersible whale type pumps.

Hopefully this has worked as it's forecast to be minus 5 degrees in Aberdeenshire tonight.

Gordon
do you find your water pump really noisey, i have the same van and mine is, also it takes me ages to get any water through pipes when first connecting

paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts