4x4 thread

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know what you're reading, Jonathan, but I see no reference in this thread to "all people should aspire to get one".

Seems like you haven't had a closer look at a 4x4 recently. Where are those leaf springs? That "negligible braking power" is also something that you've dreamed up. And the Suzuki SJ was hardly typical of the average towcar.

That was just an aimless sweeping blow on your part in the hope that someone would be hit. It really has little to do with any rational argument. I was just boring.

ps: I'm not a 4x4 owner nor do I particularly aspire to be one again. I had one once. If the conditions were right maybe I'd get one again but I can live quite well without.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I was just trying to point out that having always had 4 x 4's when my dad had to give up driving and caravanning we either got a 7 seater or my wife would have had to have followed on behind in her car.

Seven seats needed. We and most others said Disco 3 or Toyota LC. Lets just say that apart from space problems the Disco did not work out as an ideal tow car.

I got offered the chance of a test drive in a seven seater Viano towing a caravan, the 2.2CDI did very well and when I tried one at a dealers they had a 3 litre CDI with Merc upgrade.

O-60 is about 8.2 secs and would probably tow at a 100 mph plus if you had a full frontal lobotomy.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jazman,

Yes we have a LC4 Toyota. It drives well and it's only the two of us, tows a bigish van 1854 MTPLM, but again only two of us.

Performance from the d4d is pretty good. I know I could tow at an easy 80MPH + if it was legal !!!. Never checked MPG if it needs fuel it needs fuel.

Val & Frank
Same car here Frank, Best towcar going, as I tried to install some sence into Jazzman thats why the UN use them on their many hot trips abroad!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Jazman,

Yes we have a LC4 Toyota. It drives well and it's only the two of us, tows a bigish van 1854 MTPLM, but again only two of us.

Performance from the d4d is pretty good. I know I could tow at an easy 80MPH + if it was legal !!!. Never checked MPG if it needs fuel it needs fuel.

Val & Frank
But I don't think Jazman has any hot trips abroad planned. I'm sure 7 people in his Viano feel more comfortable than 7 in any 4x4.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Jonathan,

"So basically what is being said is that people with large 4x4's are better and richer because they work harder

No you need to be comfortable to be able to afford a large 4x4 ,and to run one.The route to that is either hard work or a lottery win. I think in your case it will need to be a lottery win Because well I will leave that to you.

Val & Frank

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
For Lutz and Essexeddie.

I've never been in to Light Blue Berets and I think the UN's choice has something to with who is being generous.

Though Toyota do build great cars!

Viano comes with Climate Control to front and rear passengers and each passenger has an idividual reclining seat with inbuilt seatbelts that dont flap from the sides of the car when the seat is folded down. And of course there is also a reasonable sized fridge that also does not detract from the boot space for a nice long cool drinks should the climate control be lacking in any way! Of course I can drop the air suspension when un-hitching

rather than cranking the jockey wheel in the heat of France or Spain where we are off to this afternoon. We have nice extra powwer outlets for the kids gadgets in the back and we can turn the seats so they can face there Grandparents should they get get out of hand or want to play a game of cards at the table that comes in the car, when the "Quick or MaccyD's" have no table we have are own with luxury seating. And of course the seats are on rails so you can have endless seating positions. Put daughters seat forward and mums back a bit and I can recline and stretch out full length for a rest whilst my wife drives. Fat chance of that in a LC.

We also have a safe for the valuables and a coffee machine should we need a cafeine fix, all that with still more boot space seven up by a mile than the old LC.

Happy motoring and caravnning, my shift has just finished and a ferry has our name on it tonight.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Now that is a kind offer Frank.

If only I'd had it when I had the XXXX 3 and two other ( not Toyotas of course) 4 x 4's a while back. You could have come and towed us in France, Germany and Spain ;0{

I'll come back and let you know how we get on this trip in about 3 weeks time.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I don't know what you're reading, Jonathan, but I see no reference in this thread to "all people should aspire to get one".

Seems like you haven't had a closer look at a 4x4 recently. Where are those leaf springs? That "negligible braking power" is also something that you've dreamed up. And the Suzuki SJ was hardly typical of the average towcar.

That was just an aimless sweeping blow on your part in the hope that someone would be hit. It really has little to do with any rational argument. I was just boring.

ps: I'm not a 4x4 owner nor do I particularly aspire to be one again. I had one once. If the conditions were right maybe I'd get one again but I can live quite well without.
Mitsibushi L200 is one

Nissan Navara to name but 2

Drum brakes on the back also.How can a car weighing in at nearly 2 tonnes with drum brakes on the back and a caravan have better brakes than say a Merc or Audi ????

So all you envious peole work harder to be able to afford the good things in life and stop looking for excuses to put other peoples choices down.Q UMMMMM !!!

There are a lot of sweeping judgements that have been made within this discussion and everybody who has contributed has done so.

Suzuki was a generallisation but it's not rocket science to know that higher centre of gravity means less stability.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
For Lutz and Essexeddie.

I've never been in to Light Blue Berets and I think the UN's choice has something to with who is being generous.

Though Toyota do build great cars!

Viano comes with Climate Control to front and rear passengers and each passenger has an idividual reclining seat with inbuilt seatbelts that dont flap from the sides of the car when the seat is folded down. And of course there is also a reasonable sized fridge that also does not detract from the boot space for a nice long cool drinks should the climate control be lacking in any way! Of course I can drop the air suspension when un-hitching

rather than cranking the jockey wheel in the heat of France or Spain where we are off to this afternoon. We have nice extra powwer outlets for the kids gadgets in the back and we can turn the seats so they can face there Grandparents should they get get out of hand or want to play a game of cards at the table that comes in the car, when the "Quick or MaccyD's" have no table we have are own with luxury seating. And of course the seats are on rails so you can have endless seating positions. Put daughters seat forward and mums back a bit and I can recline and stretch out full length for a rest whilst my wife drives. Fat chance of that in a LC.

We also have a safe for the valuables and a coffee machine should we need a cafeine fix, all that with still more boot space seven up by a mile than the old LC.

Happy motoring and caravnning, my shift has just finished and a ferry has our name on it tonight.
Phewwwwwwwww. Whats all that about, he sounds like my mother inlaw

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
A lot seems to be said about having big a nd better cars either 2 or 4 wheel drive. However, I thought that safety was the priority and after reading some of the messages it sounds like there are people out there who are towing over the maximum permitable weight as stated by the manufacturer. The first priority should be to the sfaety of your families and other road users, so before you buy it would be prudent to see if your vehicle can tow the caravan you want it to. If you start looking at some the maximum permisable braked trailer weights as stated by the manufacturer then a lot of people would actually find that they are towing illegally. An example of this is the person who states that they regularly tow with their Galaxy at over 1800KG, that is above the maximum permissable weight for a Galaxy.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Whilst 1800kg is above the max for the new Galaxy the old Galaxy and its sisters had a max tow weight of 2000kg, I have towed a trailer of about 1800kg with a Sharan with no stability or control problems, the same trailer behind a vehicle 500kg heavier than the Shaz was very unstable. whilst it is much more difficult to put a figure on it, the suspension, track, dampers, rear overhang and tyres have every bit as much influence on stability as weight. Put a heavy vehicle on soft, weakly damped suspension and high profile tyres and you have an unstable vehicle without adding a trailer.

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
"Because they feel they have to, they perceive they are being attacked by all sides. Even the Chancellor made a remark about 4x4s, not just high emmission vehicles. It's a drive train for goodness sake."

This is of course the same Chancellor who I saw a few months ago on the M4, Him and a Driver in a LWB XJ Jag, followed closely by a 2 up Ranger Rover that made it very plain nothing was going to get into the space between the two cars. Wonder what the carbon foot print for that little convoy Whitehall to Swansea works out as?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At the end of the day buy what you like, The E320CDI is a great car and the BMWs if you like that sort of thing. I tow a TA Fleetwood Heritage and have used 2 different Disco3's that between them have done 50K miles the second one has not seen a dealer except for service at 15Kmiles (

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Mitsibushi L200 is one

Nissan Navara to name but 2

Drum brakes on the back also.How can a car weighing in at nearly 2 tonnes with drum brakes on the back and a caravan have better brakes than say a Merc or Audi ????

Bacause it has the weight to stop it. I have a D22 and it stops on a fifty pence piece.Unlike the Merc and the Audi it is serviced every 6000 miles. Unlike the Merc or the Audi you are less tempted to speed. And unlike the Merc or the Audi you feel a hell of a lot safer in it as you can see more as you are higher up.

And Actually its just under 1800 Kilos.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
just an observation. Instead of discussing and comparing why not just get out there and use them.

It does not matter what your van is or its weight and tow vehicle. you all got them for a single reason that we all have in common!

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Agree 100% Steve but some just want to see 4x4's banned for no good reason. Though they have been a bit quite of late - maybe because of the truth behind the anti spin together with the really remarkably good work some individuals and the 4x4 Response organisations.

See

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/buckingham-news?articleid=3086110
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/articles/2007/08/08/flood_hero_4x4_feature.shtml
What an excellent example these guys set!

Let's hope the reporting of how useful these vehicles are when needed will sweep the Anti's nonsense away for good.

After all I have an all swinging all dancing Laptop - but you do not get those that still use a 386 or 486 (if there are any!) from calling for the more capable machines to be banned because the majority of those using them do not use the full capabilities of the machine!

The floods proved to many that Sian Berry and the other anti numpties talk out of their backsides.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Agree 100% Steve but some just want to see 4x4's banned for no good reason. Though they have been a bit quite of late - maybe because of the truth behind the anti spin together with the really remarkably good work some individuals and the 4x4 Response organisations.

See

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/buckingham-news?articleid=3086110
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/articles/2007/08/08/flood_hero_4x4_feature.shtml
What an excellent example these guys set!

Let's hope the reporting of how useful these vehicles are when needed will sweep the Anti's nonsense away for good.

After all I have an all swinging all dancing Laptop - but you do not get those that still use a 386 or 486 (if there are any!) from calling for the more capable machines to be banned because the majority of those using them do not use the full capabilities of the machine!

The floods proved to many that Sian Berry and the other anti numpties talk out of their backsides.
Apologies - should be "a bit quiet of late"

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Diane

How can weight increase a cars stopping ability??

Servicing intervals are irrelevant

Being high up is not a basis of being safe - that is down to NCAP ratings,airbags,braking ability and aids,centre of gravity.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
what i can't understand is why is everybody's attitude is mine is better than yours .people should drive what they want .there is a saying 'he who does the paying does the saying'! the reason my nav has got leaf springs is that it is a commercial vehicle the same as a mitsi L200 capable of carrying over a tonne.also why i pay only

May 10, 2007
Visit site
My tow car is a Q7 because we like the look and wanted a big car!

My sisters Merc has an oil change every 12k and a main service at 24k intervals. I've no idea what a 6k service costs but guess it may work out at about the same pro rata.

I wouldn't want to rate drum brakes and leaf springs against more sophisicated suspension and braking systems and an accident investigator caravanning on a site we stopped at said the higher 4 x 4's tend to roll over far more, so higher may not be wiser. His tow car was a new Honda CRV ;)

Ria

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
ria as i said in my previous post everybody should drive what they like. i would like to know what the servicing costs are for your q7? you like it great, i like my nav. i've got two big dogs having a seperate load bed keeps them seperate from the passenger area and as one of them moults quite a lot i've just got hose the back out job done. as for having drum brakes and leaf springs IT IS a commercial vehicle not a luxury car, sophisticated suspension and braking systems cost a lot more to fix when they go wrong. my nav goes, stops and tows my twin axle at 60 mph on the motorway so it does what i want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts